So....

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yes, and within 2 weeks and it was stopped at our station. Too many customer complaints because there was no pre-planning on FedEx's part. Since they didn't even bother changing doortags that say "We will make three delivery attempts" it was doomed from the start. Thanks to the wonderful planning by the overpaid engineers, or whatever position was in charge of it!

Interesting.

It was to be a test run. In my areas we got some complaints from regulars who relied on that 3rd attempt. Aside from that, it worked well at reducing onroad hours and was ended early because they had more than enough data from the test run to do whatever they plan on doing.

You didn't hear this from me, and I didn't hear this from anyone (hee hee), but it sure would save a lot of money to have Ground/HD handle some Express reattempts.

59 Dano

I thought the 3% referred to reducing head count with the voluntary severance. Thus reducing payroll.

Nah. The 3% is for hourly labor. Hours can be controlled to some degree, and the plan is to eliminate enough hours equivalent to getting rid of 3% of the FT employees. The headcount reduction is separate.

Guapo

Yes, and within 2 weeks and it was stopped at our station. Too many customer complaints because there was no pre-planning on FedEx's part. Since they didn't even bother changing doortags that say "We will make three delivery attempts" it was doomed from the start. Thanks to the wonderful planning by the overpaid engineers, or whatever position was in charge of it!

Well at least it gave a bunch of overpaid unnecessary engineers something too do and a slick name the R1 Project

vantexan

Nah. The 3% is for hourly labor. Hours can be controlled to some degree, and the plan is to eliminate enough hours equivalent to getting rid of 3% of the FT employees. The headcount reduction is separate.

We've just implemented 4X10's which obviously will reduce OT. But already some days we don't get a full 10 hrs. From the sound of it we'll be under 35 hrs on 4 days pretty soon. Wouldn't it make sense to offer targeted buyouts in such situations? Identify areas where it would make sense to reduce number of employees and, in keeping with the no layoffs "philosophy" give the most senior couriers the opportunity to leave?

jmeti000

We've just implemented 4X10's which obviously will reduce OT. But already some days we don't get a full 10 hrs. From the sound of it we'll be under 35 hrs on 4 days pretty soon. Wouldn't it make sense to offer targeted buyouts in such situations? Identify areas where it would make sense to reduce number of employees and, in keeping with the no layoffs "philosophy" give the most senior couriers the opportunity to leave?

They probably need the most senior couriers to stick around a little longer to bail them out when all the wonderful "new technology" fails...just long enough for them to work the kinks out though.

59 Dano

They are focusing on eliminating hours here and there. For example, a smaller station (22 routes) managed to cut 6 hours a day over the last few months. In theory that's almost 1 FT courier, but they haven't reduced their staffing. They were able to adjust their route boundaries among other things, but there was no way that they could get by if they lost a courier.

That kind of thing.

TUT

I thought the 3% referred to reducing head count with the voluntary severance. Thus reducing payroll.

How it was stated it sounds like they were talking directly about the hourly labor force at Express. I didn't record it, I have notes on my laptop.

StuffItFred

They are focusing on eliminating hours here and there. For example, a smaller station (22 routes) managed to cut 6 hours a day over the last few months. In theory that's almost 1 FT courier, but they haven't reduced their staffing. They were able to adjust their route boundaries among other things, but there was no way that they could get by if they lost a courier.

That kind of thing.

Interesting......some stations there is not much if any at all room for eliminating hours here and there. A majority of couriers at one station very close to me couriers are already on guarantee pay. So next to go is guarantee pay. Cut, cut, cut until you bleed them dry and they either are forced to quit or go bankrupt.
Eliminate the overhead! Too many chiefs and not enough indians. Is there really a need for 4 managers at a station? Engineers? Pffffff, WASTE! Sure they earn a nicer paycheck than 2 topped out couriers on 45hrs each.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

That kind of thing.

How about if we cut you?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can give just one example of excess hours. I have a dropbox pickup which has a FedEx box right next to it. Our pickup time is 1715---yours is 1730. The office building the box primarily serves closes at 1700. I get there about 1720 and your driver is normally sitting there waiting to pickup the box. One day he told me he had been there since 1700. When I suggested that he suggest a change on the pickup time he told me that wasn't an option. That is easily an hour or two he spends sitting there each week.

newgirl

I can give just one example of excess hours. I have a dropbox pickup which has a FedEx box right next to it. Our pickup time is 1715---yours is 1730. The office building the box primarily serves closes at 1700. I get there about 1720 and your driver is normally sitting there waiting to pickup the box. One day he told me he had been there since 1700. When I suggested that he suggest a change on the pickup time he told me that wasn't an option. That is easily an hour or two he spends sitting there each week.

Crr is right, can't change that time, if UPS is 1715 ours has to be later. Why he sits there is a problem, I wonder if it is his last stop, and if it is out in the boonies?
One of the problems on the pickup side for express is oncalls and their hour pickup window. We have to have 100 percent pickup service level-and that doesn't mean getting all of the pickups done, it means getting all of the pickups done by the close time that the customer has specified.

So, if Walmart calls in for a pickup and says they are closing at 1700, I have to get there by 1700, nevermind that they are all open 24hrs. If I don't get there by 1700 it's a pickup failure. Dispatch is not allowed to change the close time. Yes, it is beyond stupid. It's about customer perception of our service. A late pickup is a dissatisfied customer. I can not run my route as efficiently as possible because of how I have to run my pickups. I drive by more stops on a daily basis because my route is so busy I have to chase close times. I had a customer ask me the other day if I get tired of running around in circles. Sometimes I have to stop delivering to go get an early close, and most of the time the customer isn't going anywhere. I have been at this for 20 some years and 1700 closes are still the bane of my pickup existence. (deliveries are same, we go by commitment times, I drive by deliveries so I can make service--such a company gal I am)

So, in the cse of the DRB guy, he may have to run his route so that he is at the DRB and ready to hit his next stop on time. He may not be able to run his route and get back to the box and get back to the building on time. We shoot ourselves in the feet daily at Express.

StuffItFred

Crr is right, can't change that time, if UPS is 1715 ours has to be later. Why he sits there is a problem, I wonder if it is his last stop, and if it is out in the boonies?
One of the problems on the pickup side for express is oncalls and their hour pickup window. We have to have 100 percent pickup service level-and that doesn't mean getting all of the pickups done, it means getting all of the pickups done by the close time that the customer has specified.

So, if Walmart calls in for a pickup and says they are closing at 1700, I have to get there by 1700, nevermind that they are all open 24hrs. If I don't get there by 1700 it's a pickup failure. Dispatch is not allowed to change the close time. Yes, it is beyond stupid. It's about customer perception of our service. A late pickup is a dissatisfied customer. I can not run my route as efficiently as possible because of how I have to run my pickups. I drive by more stops on a daily basis because my route is so busy I have to chase close times. I had a customer ask me the other day if I get tired of running around in circles. Sometimes I have to stop delivering to go get an early close, and most of the time the customer isn't going anywhere. I have been at this for 20 some years and 1700 closes are still the bane of my pickup existence. (deliveries are same, we go by commitment times, I drive by deliveries so I can make service--such a company gal I am)

So, in the cse of the DRB guy, he may have to run his route so that he is at the DRB and ready to hit his next stop on time. He may not be able to run his route and get back to the box and get back to the building on time. We shoot ourselves in the feet daily at Express.

The problem is Dispatch CAN change the close time. But they are there to protect the PUP side of the routes. Dispatch doesn't care how many deliveries you have, how many will be late. Just don't have a late pup. I don't chase PUP's like that. Sacrifice late del's for one pup is silly. Screw em it is late and that is it.
Perfect example is a PUP called in on my route closing at 11am at a residence that says in the comments on the powerpad that it is outside front door. I have AA P1's and AM P1's on my route. So 38 P1 stops by 1200 leaving our building around 900-0930 I don't have time to break route for a early close PUP that has been and will be sitting on the front porch. Funny how Dispatch can change the PUP times when it benefits them and only them.
I wish Express would ditch the entire same day oncall PUP. We have all chased down a PUP only to get there to find it is a ground pkg. Leave, code it as a GRND PUP ONLY and only to get another oncall 5mins later for the same damn stop.

newgirl

The problem is Dispatch CAN change the close time. But they are there to protect the PUP side of the routes. Dispatch doesn't care how many deliveries you have, how many will be late. Just don't have a late pup. I don't chase PUP's like that. Sacrifice late del's for one pup is silly. Screw em it is late and that is it.
Perfect example is a PUP called in on my route closing at 11am at a residence that says in the comments on the powerpad that it is outside front door. I have AA P1's and AM P1's on my route. So 38 P1 stops by 1200 leaving our building around 900-0930 I don't have time to break route for a early close PUP that has been and will be sitting on the front porch. Funny how Dispatch can change the PUP times when it benefits them and only them.
I wish Express would ditch the entire same day oncall PUP. We have all chased down a PUP only to get there to find it is a ground pkg. Leave, code it as a GRND PUP ONLY and only to get another oncall 5mins later for the same damn stop.

You're right, they can but they aren't allowed to. You're scenario is the perfect example. The agent who schedules that should be OLCC'd and held accountable just as we are.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It isn't the driver's problem, and the "exces hours" problem you cite is simply an attempt by FedEx to get business from UPS by offering a later cutoff time on the drop box.

hypo hanna

Whoa! Back up that bus! Dispatch does not have the discretion to change times like you think they do. As a former dispatcher, I can tell you they get written up for changing times on any stop that doesn't fit the ever changing criteria they get from their managers. At one point it was that you couldn't change ANY times under any circumstances. Now they can change 3rd party CIB stops and retail locations. Still have to call the customer and get the OK and it still has to be done at least 30 min prior to the close time. Your dispatcher has zero leeway. It's just seems arbitrary since the rules are constantly changing and I'm sure they are not passing them on to the drivers.

whenIgetthere

I know that all too well, A couple of months ago, all our freight was late on Saturday. We finally left the building at 1045, and when I sign onto dispatch, I have an oncall in my PM area with an 1100 close. I sent dispatch a message to change the close time, as this stop was 50 miles from the station, 20 miles past my first delivery. They wouldn't change it, so I got there around 1600, and it was a ground package. Why we get 1100 closes on Saturday, when P1's aren't due in that area till 1630 is beyond me!

59 Dano

You're right, they can but they aren't allowed to. You're scenario is the perfect example. The agent who schedules that should be OLCC'd and held accountable just as we are.

Some PUP close times can be extended and some can't. I don't remember all of the details, but one was that a close time can't be changed less than 45 minutes before the close. Another was that it couldn't be changed if it was a 3rd party or call center PUP but I don't know for sure. I don't have the job aid handy. Following the book to get close times changed was never an issue in the areas I've worked. Getting early closes (like the WM one you mentioned) changed was easy. My dispatchers were pretty easy to work with.

If you're in tight with your PUP customers, there are plenty of off the record ways to work around close time issues if the dispatchers won't help.

StuffItFred

Whoa! Back up that bus! Dispatch does not have the discretion to change times like you think they do. As a former dispatcher, I can tell you they get written up for changing times on any stop that doesn't fit the ever changing criteria they get from their managers. At one point it was that you couldn't change ANY times under any circumstances. Now they can change 3rd party CIB stops and retail locations. Still have to call the customer and get the OK and it still has to be done at least 30 min prior to the close time. Your dispatcher has zero leeway. It's just seems arbitrary since the rules are constantly changing and I'm sure they are not passing them on to the drivers.

They have some leeway. Same old swan song as you receive a PUP with a 2359 close and after the PUP comes through the powerpad a few mins later is updated with an earlier close and the dispatcher initials in the PUP. Coincedence? NOT! I have had this happen on many occasions and even asked the customer when I got to the stop why they changed the close time and they knew nothing about it.
In our district one dispatcher is the root of all evil but when this clown is on vacation and you have an issue with a PUP the dispatcher filling in will change the close time if it is going to be an issue. Sure, they have to give the customer a call.
It all goes back to the ole Freddy philosphy. friend the people who already paid their money to get their pkg by a certain time! I want you to forget those people waiting on you and race over to go get another pkg of a potential customer.