Sobriety Checkpoints

Should the State be able to detain you without cause?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 94.4%

• Total voters
Your poll question is too general. My first thought when I read it was being pulled over for no reason (profiling?) but once I read your text I understood where you were going with this.

Yes. I would much rather be briefly inconvenienced then to be killed by a drunk or distracted driver. What I don't like is when they set up these checkpoints within visual distance from a popular drinking establishment-----entrapment?

How does "visual distance" vs miles down the road affect the blood alcohol level? Wouldn't flashing lights within "visual distance" of a bar motivate someone to call a cab or get a ride therefore prevent drunk driving and all the associated trouble for both sides?
And as far as entrapment what establishment forces or coerces patrons to drink alcohol? What ones after doing so conspire with the police to get folks arrested? Are the police sponsoring a free beer night with the intention of sitting outside waiting on folks to come out? That would be entrapment.

We had a retirement party for our on-car last summer at a local waterfront watering hole. I was amazed at the number of cabs that kept coming and going. Truth be told, I probably should have called one myself that night.

So..........you knowing consumed alcohol of your own free will to the extent that you question your decision in hindsight and then drove? Awesome.

About 20 minutes ago (2:20am), I was stopped at a sobriety checkpoint. It was a big event, cops everywhere, cones down the street, spotlights, a command center. They were checking everyone who came down that street.

I got right through it, the trooper looked at my uniform and said "Just get out of work?"
"Yup"
"You're all set" he says and yells "He's all set" to the next trooper.

My poll question is:
Should the State have the right to detain you (even for a minute) when you've done nothing wrong?

I think detained is a strong word. Most of the 'safety checks" here are on the standard days one would expect. Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years, Superbowl night,etc. If folks can have the general knowledge that on NY night the drunks are out why then can't they also know that the cops will be out and make their choices accordingly.

In September of 91 a drunk sped at over 70mph through an crowded intersection and basically cut my future wifes car in half. Sure wish he had been "detained" somewhere.

rod

Retired 22 years
Minnesota ruled years ago that Gestapo tactics like mandatory road blocks were unconstitutional. Now at least they have to make up some BS excuse to pull you over. The road blocks have nothing to do about "safety"-----they are just another cash cow milked by law enforcement to justify having bloated police departments that were brought about by all the extra cash passed out to fire and police departments after 9/11. Our local County Sheriffs dept as gone from 17 deputies to 73 since 9/11. If the population of the county had boomed I could see why-- it but it hasn't. We have approximately the same population today as back then. They all drive new squad cars, look 18 years old and think they are Gods gift to law enforcement. It don't help that the local college has law enforcement classes and both the State Patrol and DNR train new troopers and Game Wardens here. (for those of you who aren't familar with Game Wardens they actually have more power when it comes to stepping on your privacy rights than other law enforcement).