Socks and Trucks!

10 point

Where I am, and a lot of other areas, they were threatening warning letters last summer. We will see if it still an issue this summer. Maybe it is no longer the flavor of the month.

And I guess I typed "care" wrong. Dam cell phones.
Yeah, warning letters for not having a 3/4-1" emblem visible on our socks. That gains them respect. Especially when our 26" long P10's look like they've been used at tractor pulls for weeks on end.
Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yeah, warning letters for not having a 3/4-1" emblem visible on our socks. That gains them respect. Especially when our 26" long P10's look like they've been used at tractor pulls for weeks on end.
Hypocrisy at it's finest.

I agree. Look up hypocrisy in the dictionary and the first definition probably just says UPS.

cb1969

1) I hate the new seat belts. They tear up my shoulder reaching and pulling all day. Lap belts rule. 2) You're making a ton of money to do a job that no other company would pay you to do. Just suck it up, save the receipt, and use it as a tax write off.
hook shoulder belt across, part over part under steering wheel...quicker than old way....practice this and you should be able to figure it out quickly...

cb1969

Can you afford to have your face smash into the windshield, then recoil the back of your head into the metal bulkhead, if you're involved in a serious accident in vehicle without a high back chair and 3 point seat belt?
we lost a driver to permanent disability do to old seat and lap belt after being rear ended...the supervisor riding with him also hurt but made to return to work the very next day....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
we lost a driver to permanent disability do to old seat and lap belt after being rear ended...the supervisor riding with him also hurt but made to return to work the very next day....
I hope this driver sues UPS to maximum extent, and excepts no settlement offers.
This story needs to drug through the courts and the press.
UPS hates this type of press.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I often wonder, what criteria the company uses when deciding who to assign these death traps to and who to give newer, safer vehicles?

Irishman Collins

Only if our Union had the wherewithal to realize that shoulder harnesses were important to the safety of their members, but hey..... part timers got another year of progression, lol!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Why not, shouldn't safety be of the upmost importance to our Company and Union?

I agree about safety, but I am on the fence on this one.

Should a company, like UPS, have to retro-fit their entire fleet every time a new safety feature comes out?

The government does not mandate older vehicles having to be retro-fit, they just mandate new vehicles be equipped with the new features.

The seatbelts would not be that big a cost, but retro-fitting anti-lock brakes, collision avoidance, air bags, etc could bankrupt a company.

We did get by without all these new safety features for over 100 years.

If the union wants to negotiate these into the contract, fine. But for a company to retro-fit all these into their fleet on their own for the sake of safety could be cost prohibitive. What good would a safer vehicle be if the company is no longer in business?

Again, I am not saying no to all these, but where does it stop? At one point, I believe, delivery drivers were not even required to wear seatbelts by the government. They were exempt.

Indiana Law From 2007

Subsection 9-19-10-1 (3) exempts occupants who are "traveling in a commercial or a United States Postal Service vehicle that makes frequent stops for the purpose of pickup or delivery of goods or services" from wearing a seatbelt.

10 point

I'm just elated when a driver actually writes up a safety issue with a truck the day before I have to drive it.

Post trips realy went out the window when DVIRs signatures were no longer an every day EOD mandate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm just elated when a driver actually writes up a safety issue with a truck the day before I have to drive it.

Post trips realy went out the window when DVIRs signatures were no longer an every day EOD mandate.

I still sign off my DVIR every day. I only turn in the yellow copy when I write something up.

Irishman Collins

I agree about safety, but I am on the fence on this one.

Should a company, like UPS, have to retro-fit their entire fleet every time a new safety feature comes out?

The government does not mandate older vehicles having to be retro-fit, they just mandate new vehicles be equipped with the new features.

The seatbelts would not be that big a cost, but retro-fitting anti-lock brakes, collision avoidance, air bags, etc could bankrupt a company.

We did get by without all these new safety features for over 100 years.

If the union wants to negotiate these into the contract, fine. But for a company to retro-fit all these into their fleet on their own for the sake of safety could be cost prohibitive. What good would a safer vehicle be if the company is no longer in business?

Again, I am not saying no to all these, but where does it stop? At one point, I believe, delivery drivers were not even required to wear seatbelts by the government. They were exempt.

Indiana Law From 2007

Subsection 9-19-10-1 (3) exempts occupants who are "traveling in a commercial or a United States Postal Service vehicle that makes frequent stops for the purpose of pickup or delivery of goods or services" from wearing a seatbelt.
I believe the safety of Union members is maybe the most important issue that should be addressed in Collective bargaining. I do not agree that the company should be allowed to have lesser safety standards than States or the Federal Government. I also do not agree that providing safer equipment would bankrupt the company. Our company spends Millions of dollars on big brother technology. I think the least they could do, would be to provide the safest equipment possible. People before dollars like it was before we went public.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I believe the safety of Union members is maybe the most important issue that should be addressed in Collective bargaining.

I don't think "maybe," I think it "should" be the most important issue.

I do not agree that the company should be allowed to have lesser safety standards than States or the Federal Government.

I don't think they should either, and they do not. New equipment comes with all the new safety features mandated by State or the Federal Government, and any options negotiated in the collective bargaining process.

And every time a new safety feature comes out, the State of Federal Government does not retro-fit all their vehicles with the new features.

They also do not mandate that the current vehicles be replaced with new ones with the new safety features.

They wait until the current vehicles need replacing and then replace them with new ones with all the new safety features.

The same thing that UPS does.

I also do not agree that providing safer equipment would bankrupt the company.

Do you even have a clue how much it would cost, or if it is even feasible, to retro-fit anti-lock brakes, air bags, collision avoidance, etc, onto vehicles without these? Billions.

Or do you propose that UPS gets rid of all the vehicles without the newest safety features and just buys new ones? Tens of billions.

Our company spends Millions of dollars on big brother technology. I think the least they could do, would be to provide the safest equipment possible.

They do provide the safest vehicles possible, when they purchase new vehicles. Every vehicle they purchase, at the time, meets the governments standards for safety.

Again, it sounds like you want UPS to replace every vehicle every time a new safety feature comes out. This will lead to bankruptcy.

People before dollars like it was before we went public.

I agree. But there is also a line somewhere. This started because of the 2 point seatbelts still left in the fleet. My "line" is to replace all these with 3 point seatbelts and wait until the useful life of any other vehicles ends and then replace it with a new one with all the new safety features. My line is that the only thing retro-fitted should be the seatbelts, because any of the other features are either cost prohibitive or unfeasible.

And in collective bargaining, there has never been, to my knowledge, any bargaining to retro-fit vehicles for safety. It has always been "new equipment shall have." ie cab venting, power steering, ac for tractors, etc.

Safety first, but a company also has to stay in business, make money, or safety won't matter. They will be out of business if they cannot balance safety cost and profit.

And there is a balance between safety cost and profit.

Irishman Collins

I don't think "maybe," I think it "should" be the most important issue.

I don't think they should either, and they do not. New equipment comes with all the new safety features mandated by State or the Federal Government, and any options negotiated in the collective bargaining process.

And every time a new safety feature comes out, the State of Federal Government does not retro-fit all their vehicles with the new features.

They also do not mandate that the current vehicles be replaced with new ones with the new safety features.

They wait until the current vehicles need replacing and then replace them with new ones with all the new safety features.

The same thing that UPS does.

Do you even have a clue how much it would cost, or if it is even feasible, to retro-fit anti-lock brakes, air bags, collision avoidance, etc, onto vehicles without these? Billions.

Or do you propose that UPS gets rid of all the vehicles without the newest safety features and just buys new ones? Tens of billions.

They do provide the safest vehicles possible, when they purchase new vehicles. Every vehicle they purchase, at the time, meets the governments standards for safety.

Again, it sounds like you want UPS to replace every vehicle every time a new safety feature comes out. This will lead to bankruptcy.

I agree. But there is also a line somewhere. This started because of the 2 point seatbelts still left in the fleet. My "line" is to replace all these with 3 point seatbelts and wait until the useful life of any other vehicles ends and then replace it with a new one with all the new safety features. My line is that the only thing retro-fitted should be the seatbelts, because any of the other features are either cost prohibitive or unfeasible.

And in collective bargaining, there has never been, to my knowledge, any bargaining to retro-fit vehicles for safety. It has always been "new equipment shall have." ie cab venting, power steering, ac for tractors, etc.

Safety first, but a company also has to stay in business, make money, or safety won't matter. They will be out of business if they cannot balance safety cost and profit.

And there is a balance between safety cost and profit.
Millions of dollars on "big brother technology", few dollars on safety. Some of you act like management or some of our sell out Union negotiators.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Millions of dollars on "big brother technology", few dollars on safety. Some of you act like management or some of our sell out Union negotiators.

I'm no sell out. I just don't want to bankrupt the company I work for. It is my bread and butter.

I believe I said to spend the "few dollars" and retro-fit all the 2 point seatbelts that are left. But I said don't spend the "billions" to retro-fit air bags, ABS, and collision avoidance.

There are others things more important that I would like UPS to spend those "billions" on rather than collision avoidance.

Some people think that UPS has an infinite amount of money and that there is no competition out there.