Socks and Trucks!

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Two more examples of failed Contract negotiations by H and hall! 1. For around 20 years government has mandated that private vehicles sold in the US must have lap safety belts and shoulder belts to reduce head injuries in collisions. Yet, our Union committee has continually failed to negotiate that UPS immediately replace all vehicles without said safety equipment. Secondly, our Union brain trust, still has been unable to negotiate that UPS socks be paid for by the company. It is ridiculous that the cost of socks seems to be an unachievable benefit for our current Union officials when negotiating our contract. We need new leadership that recognizes the things that UPSERS need for their safety and well being, not what our leaders need for reelection or to protect a "unsustainable" health or pension plan!
Just out of curiosity did you write up the seat belt on the dvir to see if they can change it.....or are you just complaining because ups didn't take the initiative

Irishman Collins

UPS is not giving anything for free. What, are they going to do that out of the kindness of their heart? Going to strike over socks if they say no to your request?
My point is, this should of been negotiated in one of the Contracts that Hoffa is responsible for. In addition, safe trucks for Hoffa and hall drivers should be a no brainer!

Irishman Collins

Just out of curiosity did you write up the seat belt on the dvir to see if they can change it.....or are you just complaining because ups didn't take the initiative
The company has said that it would cost 85 dollars a truck to replace lap belts with lap and shoulder belts but if they change out the belts and something goes wrong they would be liable? Wouldn't they be more liable when a driver is killed because he or she is depending on a lap belt to save their lives? Maybe we all should file a Safety and Health grievance and watch it go down with UPS'S Union panels. Lol!

DC7

The Brown Hole
I don't get the socks complaints? I buy black under armor socks and they're great. Nobody walks around looking what socks you wear as long as they're not white.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

We write them up but they reject the change up because it's not OEM equipment.

Then again, neither is a neck brace.
I read in an earlier comment that lap belts are illegal(I didn't have time to fact check that)if that's the case ups can't ask you to break the law or force you to do unsafe things as part of your job

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I read in an earlier comment that lap belts are illegal(I didn't have time to fact check that)if that's the case ups can't ask you to break the law or force you to do unsafe things as part of your job
It's illegal in newly made vehicles.
Our safety committee made a fuss about them, it's a no go. The lap belts are here to stay until the vehicle is taken out of service. It's ridiculous.
Luckily we only have a handful left.

L

Little Brownie Girl

I don't get the socks complaints? I buy black under armor socks and they're great. Nobody walks around looking what socks you wear as long as they're not white.
So are the socks made in the USA....since it is for an American Union...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
So are the socks made in the USA....since it is for an American Union...
mj-laughing.gif