Software Update to the HD scanners...

HomeDelivery

well as i was sitting in the jumpseat in the rental cargo van while my trainee was driving, I noticed a cool new feature that they added today... GPS & Mapping software:peaceful:

i alt-L to unlocked the scanner

highlight a random stop, "details"...

new buttons "show me" & "take me" and i was like, :surprised:

so being bored/curious, i tried "show me" & an app pops up & loads a mapping software similar to the portable GPS units that we have stuck on our windshields on the rental vehicles:knockedout:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it slowed down the scanner somewhat and eats at the battery life a bit, but that is what carrying a spare/charger for...

so no more excuses for code 02s (unable to locate address), but a temp still used the code today & i had to bail him out by transfering it to my vehicle & finding it myself... more on-road time for me & i'm now hourly so i didn't mind the extra work for one more stop

Artee

similar to the portable GPS units that we have stuck on our windshields on the rental vehicles:knockedout:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucky you. That doesn't fly at Express. Not using GPS units whether they are stand alone portable ones or on your phone. We just got new E-logs/quadrant units in the tractors. It has a touch screen for GPS, but FedEx makes sure it is disabled. No distractions while driving. I bet the express couriers with their pads will never get that option either. Suppose we are expected to know where we are going.

HomeDelivery

You mean 03s; 02 is incorrect recipient address.

oops, yeap that was it... i don't use a code 02; i find the mistake, "edit address" and input the correct addy on-the-road...

now, bbsam, this is helpful for swing/cover drivers... i'm literally servicing a different area every single day

i use the VRP's "map detail" & "map overview" of the deliveries for the day to see if "the trace" is proper or out-of-wack... then adjust accordingly to be most efficient at "straightlining"

looking at printed turn-by-turns is just as bad as using a portable gps, but the newer ones speak to you & you don't need to glance at the unit at all.

well, today, i highlighted "take me" and it acted just like a portable unit... it actually speaks to you in a generic CJinx voice #sarcasm

it's not fully implemented yet because you need a password to exit out of the app and back to the HD screen... i had to do a hard-boot to get back to the P/D screen.

i'm just giving my observations that they're trying to take the thinking out of doing deliveries even further so anyone who can fog the windshield can do this simple repetitive mundane job. #have a prosperous peak!

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
I do swing drive or cover another route when my contractor needs me to, but if they could give Ground the HD version of DRA when we actually could use it would be somewhat helpful.

bbsam

Staff member
Now, HD, I am aware of the potential tool that GPS can be. I have been a cover driver and could literally be up to speed on any route in our building in a matter of days. I have also seen drivers literally incapable of setting up 10 stops in their area without turn by turns.

HomeDelivery

sam & 82, what's better about the HD VS Ground opcos (that i've started in another thread a couple of days ago) is that I can cover a route "blind" just by using the VRP's system without "acquiring area knowledge"

yes, some traces are as bad as Express' DRA system & will make you go loopy... why i asked for the map printout

i rarely use the GPS when the stops are "tight" i only interface with it when the stops are 10-20 minutes apart in a rural area (since some of those roads don't have street signs)

otherwise, i just leave it on just to quickly verify if i'm on the correct street

ooh, off-topic, when did you became a moderator?!?

off to work on a saturday:peaceful:

bbsam

Staff member
sam & 82, what's better about the HD VS Ground opcos (that i've started in another thread a couple of days ago) is that I can cover a route "blind" just by using the VRP's system without "acquiring area knowledge"

yes, some traces are as bad as Express' DRA system & will make you go loopy... why i asked for the map printout

i rarely use the GPS when the stops are "tight" i only interface with it when the stops are 10-20 minutes apart in a rural area (since some of those roads don't have street signs)

otherwise, i just leave it on just to quickly verify if i'm on the correct street

ooh, off-topic, when did you became a moderator?!?

off to work on a saturday:peaceful:

Yes, technology can allow you to run a route "blind". That's no reason to stay that way. Became a mod a few days ago. Still learning what that entails.

HomeDelivery

the tech that HD had in place allowed me to learn 70 different routes over the past couple of years & i can slip-seat into any of them at any given time & get 'er done...

most on this forum already know why they're trying to "take the thinking" out of this job = to keep the wages LOW that even an immigrant w/ the most basic handling of the engrish language #sarcasm can do this job.

maybe that's why FredEx is also paying less for HD contractors Vs Ground contractors...

with Ground; you need that area knowledge (gate codes, where to backup to the dock, where to park that 24 foot box truck in the parking lot of a Mall to deliver, etc) & to get all of your pickups in the time windows. Probably need close to a week of "training" to learn a route over there. yes, yes, some drivers can learn it in a few days, while others will never get the hang of doing Ground

HomeDelivery

in hindsight, this is a stupid app to apply on our scanners... i know management is reading this, so here's why:

we shouldn't need this redundant piece of software since we already have portable gps units & smartphones at our disposal already

VRP's mapping software already takes care of most of the sequential order of deliveries & prints out map displays of our service areas for the day

I rather have Ground's alt-T texting capabilities to text the hub instead of using my own personal cellphone to call them!

hope this goes away like that dumb express/Ground combo-drop box experiment

bbsam

Staff member
I would rather be able to download the sequential addresses into a smartphone and let it read off the turn by turns.

HomeDelivery

I would rather be able to download the sequential addresses into a smartphone and let it read off the turn by turns.

maybe that's what they're striving for?!? in any case, i'll just adapt to whatever service area they throw at me (i'm a cover driver if you didn't know that already)

bbsam

Staff member
We were just told last week that NO phones is a FDX vehicle no matter what. So much for that idea.

we have heard nothing like that. And we are FDX so maybe you have tiny little local management with great big ego issues.

Artee

we have heard nothing like that. And we are FDX so maybe you have tiny little local management with great big ego issues.

This started at the MD level. Not local. You are FDX, but it seems in name only. It seems the rules, benefits, perks, pay etc are not the same.

bbsam

Staff member
Can't wait to see what platform they use. Likely droid. Still can't use every function of the contractors site on a Mac without changing file extensions and things.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them building platforms for mac, android and windows all at once. Scanners work on a windows system.

HomeDelivery

I wouldn't be surprised to see them building platforms for mac, android and windows all at once. Scanners work on a windows system.

they'll concentrate on that system since it's already there... mac/android, not so much

from the grapevine, they'll be working soley with one gps system & either use the bluetooth function or a cable

those mapping software had "NAVETEQ" maps when i last used it the other day