Solar and other alternative power

oldngray

nowhere special
The IER is a Koch/Exxon funded organization. Nice try, though.

That's not science, it's propaganda. Talk about an 'agenda' LOL!

The IER's American Energy Freedom Center is chaired by former Virginia Sen. George "Macaca" Allen. Thomas Pyle, the president of the American Energy Alliance, was a policy analyst for former Rep. Tom DeLay before becoming director of federal affairs for Koch Industries.

In 2007, the most recent year for which tax filings are available, IER had a budget of nearly $1 million. In May, the Guardian reported that IER has received donations from Exxon, KBR, and trusts set up by Koch. Asked who funds the Institute for Energy Research, Bradley would say only that its money comes from "individuals, foundations, and corporations—including energy companies."

Attack the source instead of dispute the facts. As usual.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Homeowners say they can't use their solar panels because they're too powerful

Looking to slash their electric bill, retired couple Ron and Sarah Hall installed solar panels on their Southern California home. Nearly a year later, they haven't saved a dime.

The panels are considered too powerful, NBC Los Angeles reports, and were never turned on. A company called Solar City installed 36 panels on the hall Lake Elsinore house for free; they would make their money back by filling out rebates through residential energy conservation programs. SoCal Edison, however, would not let the couple activate their system because it exceeded California's standards for residential energy production. "They're saying that the system that I have will generate 128 percent, that's 28 percent over what they estimated," Ron Hall said.
The problem isn't necessarily the fact that the panels would generate wasted electricity, NBC Los Angeles explains
Instead, the state is concerned that homeowners could sell their excess energy.
A SoCal Edison representative said that a homeowner who produces excess solar energy is considered a potential energy retailer, and becomes subject to commercial business regulations.
Solar City has removed the panels, and said because of a design flaw, they miscalculated how much energy the Halls needed. The whole experience is one that the family would like to forget. "It's frustrating," Ron Hall said.

moreluck

golden ticket member
If I get phone calls at home and I hear "solar" I hang up on them.....no sense taking up their valuable sales pitch yime. I am on the "do not call" list but apparently that means nothing.

If I had young ones at home I would hand the phone to the nearest 3 yr old. They talk forever!!

wkmac

Homeowners say they can't use their solar panels because they're too powerful

Looking to slash their electric bill, retired couple Ron and Sarah Hall installed solar panels on their Southern California home. Nearly a year later, they haven't saved a dime.

The panels are considered too powerful, NBC Los Angeles reports, and were never turned on. A company called Solar City installed 36 panels on the hall Lake Elsinore house for free; they would make their money back by filling out rebates through residential energy conservation programs. SoCal Edison, however, would not let the couple activate their system because it exceeded California's standards for residential energy production. "They're saying that the system that I have will generate 128 percent, that's 28 percent over what they estimated," Ron Hall said.
The problem isn't necessarily the fact that the panels would generate wasted electricity, NBC Los Angeles explains
Instead, the state is concerned that homeowners could sell their excess energy.
A SoCal Edison representative said that a homeowner who produces excess solar energy is considered a potential energy retailer, and becomes subject to commercial business regulations.
Solar City has removed the panels, and said because of a design flaw, they miscalculated how much energy the Halls needed. The whole experience is one that the family would like to forget. "It's frustrating," Ron Hall said.

Well we can't have a free market with competition for the privileged monopoly now can we? What if everyone installed such a powerful system and an over abundance of such energy hit the marketplace? Such abundance (as opposed to controlled scarcity) would drive down the price of electrical energy. If too many people got the wrong idea, electricity could even go so low as to almost cost nothing. Think of the economic harm to the energy wing of our capitialistic system. Imagine if the poor and fixed income elderly had access to such energy at a cost of nothing or next to nothing?

We can't have anarchy now can we?

UPS4Life

They or someone else is going to get your money in the long run. Look at the situation now---the price of a barrel of oil is at an all time low for the last 10 years yet prices at the pump are going up because (and this is a good one) some refinery is having a problem. Just another manufactured excuse to rape the public.
Yeah some refinery had a "problem" as they shut it down for maintenance to switch over to the winter blend of fuel.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
What does a failed Solar Energy Company called Abengoa in Spain have to due with Obama , Hillary Clinton and the taxpayers ?

http://www.wnd.com/2016/04/collapse-of-spains-solyndra-poses-election-year-embarrassment/

Last November, the Washington Times reported Abengoa had received at least $2.7 billion in federal loan guarantees since 2010 to build several large-scale solar power projects in the United States.

An exposé by Town Hall on Aug. 4, 2012, found that the then-estimated $2.8 billion Abengoa received in U.S. federal grants and loans made the company the second largest recipient of the $16 billion doled out through the Department of Energy Section 1705 loan guarantee program, the same DOE program that had funded Solyndra.

In her 2016 presidential campaign, Hillary Clinton has argued for the reauthorization of the Export-Import Bank, insisting she wants to be “the small business president.”

Last June, Breitbart reported that under the Obama administration, Export-Import Bank lending has increased 248 percent, with U.S. taxpayers now holding nearly $140 billion in Export-Import Bank exposure.

The same article noted Abengoa has obligations of more than $225 million in Export-Import Bank support.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Tip of the hat to former President Jimmy Carter. I may disagree with a lot he did as President but I have to admire many of the things he did after he left office and this can go on that list.

Jimmy Carter leases his land to solar power much of Plains
Ummm I'm
Sure he's making a pretty penny. They offered a family member of mine $1000 an acre per year.

That would completely pay off about any land around here in under 5 years.