Solar Flare Storm

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by texan, Dec 29, 2011.

1. texan

texan Well-Known Member

Particles ejected by recent solar storms are due to slam into Earth over the next few days, possibly causing super-charged northern lights displays and temporary radio blackouts in some areas, experts say

Read more: Sun Storms May Slam Earth Wednesday | Fox News

Perhaps if the sky is clear, we can see northern light displays further south in the next few days. As for our northern neighbors, it should be a good show.
  2. texan

texan Well-Known Member

Not at all posting this upcoming one is of the same magnitude, but I found it interesting that In March 1989, a powerful
    solar flare set off a major March 13 power blackout in Canada that left six million people without electricity for nine hours.
    According to NASA, the flare disrupted electric power transmission from the Hydro Québec generating station and even
    melted some power transformers in New Jersey.
  3. klein

klein Für Meno :)

I might have to get my cam out tonight !

'Space Hurricane': Huge Solar Storm Is Pounding Earth Now

4. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

That does it, I'm banging in tonight!
  5. klein

Bah Humbug !

It's 2am here. in the most northern metropolitan city in North America, skies are clear - and NOTHING !
    So much for a forecasted sky light show :(
  6. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

I didn't see anything. My phone still works. geez. Big buzz, big let down.
  7. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

Hey, they have to justify their existence some how.
  8. I felt weird on Tuesday, I found out probably this is what caused it, one of my customer actually went to the hospital on the same day....
  9. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

I had a bad hair day....I was wondering what caused it?
  10. The Sun did look so bright as never before...
  11. klein

Biggest solar storm in years races toward Earth, could disrupt power grid, GPS and more

WASHINGTON - The largest solar storm in five years was due to arrive on Earth early Thursday, promising to shake the globe's magnetic field while expanding the Northern Lights.