Soldiers Are Heroes

wkmac

Have you ever noticed that Nazi soldiers, especially those who died in World War II, are never celebrated as heroes? Why is that? Didn’t they answer the call of their government in time of war? Didn’t they serve their country by loyally obeying the dictates of their government? Weren’t they patriots for their willingness to fight and die for their country?
I’m not talking about soldiers who committed war crimes or who participated in the Holocaust. I’m talking about ordinary German soldiers, many of whom were civilians before the war started, who fought Allied forces in North Africa, at the Battle of the Bulge, on the Eastern front, and elsewhere.
Why aren’t those Nazi soldiers treated as heroes? Didn’t some of them fight as courageously and heroically as British, Soviet, or American soldiers? Why are they not honored as heroes as much as Allied soldiers are?
Indeed, why aren’t German citizens during World War II honored for having come to the support of their government during a time of war? Didn’t the German people do what citizens are supposed to do? Sure, Germany ended up losing the war but no one can say that the average German citizen didn’t do everything he could to win the war.

Were Nazi Soldiers Heroes?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to commend you---you do force us to think. If you would have asked me if I thought German soldiers (or Japanese, for that matter) were heroes I would have thought that you were crazy but an objective analysis of the word hero does lend credence to your premise. Ideology aside, they did fight just as hard as our soldiers did for a cause that they felt just as strongly about so why aren't they considered heroes?

Thank you for forcing me to set aside my personal beliefs and to think of this from a purely objective standpoint.

wkmac

BTW: Here is a German soldier who is a hero none of us will deny and he paid the ultimate price for his heroism.

A hero.jpg
A hero.jpg

satellitedriver

Hero is a term used by the winning side.
A heroic effort, or deed, by an individual is always recognized by both sides of the conflict.
The Medal of Honor has only been given to one woman.
She was not a soldier, but a care giver.
Here is her story and it is a fine story of heroism.
Mary Edwards Walker