Solidarity between Feeder and Package car Drivers

over9five

Staff member
I will stick to my statement that there is respect between feeder and package here, but...

You guys are right. Feeder drivers don't return the wave. Is it because they need both hands on the wheel at all times?

The Fedex and DHL guys always wave.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
For all of those that don't wave back....
wave.gif

I have no Idea why some of them Don't wave. I notice the same thing from some Package drivers. I am usually driving in the middle of evening rush hour traffic, so I just figure that everyone is busy getting the big picture and keeping that eye lead time, and all.:cool:

disneyworld

What is going on here. I have noticed lately that there are some guys in Package car that just don't respect or care about feeder drivers and Vice versa. I notice it more from Package car than from feeders. Just yesterday, a package car driver had a feeder driver blocked in waiting at the fuel pump, and even though he was asked nicely, he would not back up a few feet to let him out. You notice it some in some of the posts on the board.
If I had to guess why some disrespect is out there it would be the stress and added demands on package car drivers. The daily skull crushings guys in package take and it seems like a whole different world in feeders.Though that should be taken out on management,not each other.

A

Anonymous Gearjammer

I've been in package for 27 years. Most feeders here are friends. Then there are those that went in early and seem to think they are something special.

Here we have like you said several feeder drivers that signed the feeder school bid a.s.a.p. including myself. Anyways we do not have classification seniority here so we are stuck waiting oddly enough about 27 years full-time to get a road run. Then high seniority pkg car drivers decide to jump into feeders bumping everyone under them down. Different from pkg car here where if you get lucky and win a good pkg car job right away you can retire on it. How would pkg car drivers like it if any full-time employee outside pkg car went into pkg car and could pick the pkg route of their choice of any junior employee initiating a bumping sequence. I know they have served their time and most are nice and become friends, however the initial stinging feeling each time one comes in is hard to ignore, fell 25 spots last year alone. Not sure if this is what you were getting at by your statement dammor.

As for waving sometimes the other driver may be checking mirrors or gauges and not notice the other driver waving in time to wave back, have also notice that whenever I see a pkg car driver from an extended center that they always wave, versus the ones from our hub that usually only wave if they know you. Maybe it's the country effect, kinda like driving in Texas where most passerby's wave or tip their hat.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
I know what you mean. We had a guy that came into feeders after 17 years in Package car, after 2 weeks he told me he actually likes working for UPS again. He said it is like working for two different companies almost.

sendagain

I suppose it is similar to what we saw after 9/11, when everyone was kind and respectful for a few months. Eventually, all the brotherly love wore out, and what you were left with was a number of selfish folks who were just thinking about number one. We do have our share of people like that in all ranks of our business.

dammor

Here we have like you said several feeder drivers that signed the feeder school bid a.s.a.p. including myself. Anyways we do not have classification seniority here so we are stuck waiting oddly enough about 27 years full-time to get a road run. Then high seniority pkg car drivers decide to jump into feeders bumping everyone under them down. Different from pkg car here where if you get lucky and win a good pkg car job right away you can retire on it. How would pkg car drivers like it if any full-time employee outside pkg car went into pkg car and could pick the pkg route of their choice of any junior employee initiating a bumping sequence. I know they have served their time and most are nice and become friends, however the initial stinging feeling each time one comes in is hard to ignore, fell 25 spots last year alone. Not sure if this is what you were getting at by your statement dammor.

As for waving sometimes the other driver may be checking mirrors or gauges and not notice the other driver waving in time to wave back, have also notice that whenever I see a pkg car driver from an extended center that they always wave, versus the ones from our hub that usually only wave if they know you. Maybe it's the country effect, kinda like driving in Texas where most passerby's wave or tip their hat.

When you go into feeders here you go to the bottom of the list. It doesn't matter if you have worked here for 2 years of 25 years. So as you can see that is not what I was getting at. Two of my best friends just went into feeders and we have stayed in touch. Even with much more seniorty than most they are on call. I do respect the job they do. Nothing is easy at UPS.

upsdude

I’ve had 3 opportunities to sign a feeder list, passed. I hated working nights when I was a cop, didn’t see me liking it any better driving a big rig.

I get along fine with the guys out of my center, they’re a good group. Except for one, but hey, the feeder guys don’t like him either. :tongue_sm

DS

Fenderbender
Dammor, this is an excellent quote.

I have got to stop posting here. It seems like everyone of my posts turn into thesis'. Sorry, another one of those night people who don't get the opportunity to talk to others.

No man,it was a good post,I think that the responsibility level rises a few notches when you have a 55 foot trailer(or pups)dragging along behind you.You guys should make more than 10 cents more for that alone.

Now the pilots are another story.There have been a few post here over the last few years.One guy posted some funny quotes,but generally they
talk among themselves .I realize that flying a jet holds a lot more responsibility than any vehicle held down by gravity,but it would be
nice to hear from more of them.

raceanoncr

I’ve had 3 opportunities to sign a feeder list, passed. I hated working nights when I was a cop, didn’t see me liking it any better driving a big rig.

I get along fine with the guys out of my center, they’re a good group. Except for one, but hey, the feeder guys don’t like him either. :tongue_sm

I don't like him either.

local804

Some of them are too busy playing with the A/C controls to wave...:lol:

I try to wave at other UPS drivers when I can but sometimes it depends on what the driving conditions are that allow me too.

Does the 2 second wave really create a safety hazzard? Gtfo

Griff

There is a lot of bad blood between feeder and package cars from what I've noticed. I have no idea where it stems from, but it's pretty obvious if you just look for it. All package car drivers recognize each other on the road usually, with a nod or hand signal, you'll almost never see this exchange between feeder and package. Yeah, it's just a simple form of recognition, but it says a lot because in the building we almost never talk to each other either.

tieguy

Banned
There seems to be a prevailing mentality that if you're not out there jumping in and out of a pkg car, dealing with customers and humping boxes then you aren't making the company any money. I think management has pounded that into their heads.

This is managements fault too?

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
I know what you mean. We had a guy that came into feeders after 17 years in Package car, after 2 weeks he told me he actually likes working for UPS again. He said it is like working for two different companies almost.
19 years in packages and i can say the same for myself now :w00t: Doing backflips and cartwheels ! Going to work each day in packages was like waiting to go to jail !

Pip

Don't see any like most of ya are mentioning in the center I work at. For the most part everybody gets along. Now you have those time when 2 people just don't get a long, but it isn't a division betwee feeders and package. For the most part union and non-union even get along good.

Maybe it has something to do with the size of the center, or the city atmosphere vs. rural area atmosphere. I think in the smaller centers everybody pretty much knows everybody, you might not get that in the bigger centers.

All I know is that it is enjoyable and I feel fortunate to work in the center I work at.

HazMatMan

I can say from seeing this everyday, most drivers think their :censored2: don't stink, and most feeder drivers think their :censored2: don't stink. If you are not one of these in my building then you are nothing. Now, on the other hand I know a few feeder drivers who are really cool (one even used to deliver to my parents when he was a driver) and I know drivers who are cool too, but the majority of drivers and feeders in my building are :censored2:heads...This is from my experience folks, it's not a scientific survey...Forget about air drivers, they think they are above and beyond EVERYONE.....