Somali pirates

Sammie

When I saw you asking "Why politicize" this incident, I almost fell out of my chair from laughing so hard.
Sorta like the pot calling the small frying pan black.
Now that's funny ...

and then you start politicizing yourself.

You're always entertaining ... keep it up.

Know what Cap'n Diesel's favorite restaurant is?

Arrrrbys!

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Maybe we can send in the highly trained turtles!!:surprised:

3428948003_bfd3c67f3d_o.jpg

diesel96

When I saw you asking "Why politicize" this incident, I almost fell out of my chair from laughing so hard.
Sorta like the pot calling the small frying pan black.
Now that's funny ...

and then you start politicizing yourself.

You're always entertaining ... keep it up.

I hope your wearing a seat belt in your PC high chair big guy..:wink2:

I know, it's never the first attacker that gets the penalty flag thrown at them, it's always the retailator. Glad to see Mods stick together. Just thought I'd spray some Pam on the pots and pans and hope for a non-stick surface....

over9five

Staff member
Obama's in a tough spot now. I'm kinda thinking he is doing the right thing by not publicly mentioning this right now.

I will say I think the Bainbridge dropped the ball BIG time. Can't believe they had nothing or nobody in the water when Captain Phillips attempted escape. This guy is a true American hero. Trades himself for his crew, makes a daring escape in the middle of the ocean at night. There should have been Navy Seals in the water. (I'm throwing out my Navy Seals dvd).

Hopefully they pay the Captains ransom. A couple days ago his company said they'd pay $10 million right now. Who thinks UPS would pay that if it were one of us?
Pay the ransom, get him out of there, and then blast them to Hell.
And this is where Obama comes in. After Captain Phillips safe return, I hope our President will take STRONG MILITARY ACTION against these pirates. I heard a reporter on the radio, who was once "embedded" with the pirates saying that the pirates are not hard to find. They're the ones driving the Mercedes and BMWs.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm not sure that 4 guys floating in a dinghy, even with a hostage, constitutes Obama being in a "tough spot". They're out of gas and they can't resupply, so it's only a matter of time til they are ready to trade Phillips for a drink of water. I'd say it's the pirates who are in a tough spot.

This piracy has been going on for years and the US has just ignored it til now because no US citizens have been involved.

over9five

Staff member
I think you misunderstand me, Jones. A lot of people are complaining that Obama is doing and saying nothing about this. The tough spot I refer to is, what exactly is he suppose to do about 4 guys in a lifeboat? I think it is wiser for him to do exactly what he is doing.

I just hope he will do and say something when Captain Phillips is safe.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think you misunderstand me, Jones. A lot of people are complaining that Obama is doing and saying nothing about this. The tough spot I refer to is, what exactly is he suppose to do about 4 guys in a lifeboat? I think it is wiser for him to do exactly what he is doing.

I just hope he will do and say something when Captain Phillips is safe.

Well I agree with that. In the short term I don't this situation really constitutes a crisis for the US. Keep in mind that hostage situations involving criminals happen on a regular basis right here at home. These guys aren't crazy jihadis ready to die for their belief system, just a band of crooks who have seriously bungled their most recent caper and are now just trying to get out with their skins and (hopefully)some loot.

In the long term I think France is taking the right approach. Interestingly even the president of Somalia has called for all the nations involved to stop paying ransoms and instead respond with force.

Channahon

Apr 11, 2009 9:00 am US/Central
Official: Somali Pirates Hijack 2nd U.S. Vessel

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/world_country_facts/africa_central/framesource_somalia.html
The head of the East African Seafarers' Assistance Program says Somali pirates have hijacked an American-owned tugboat with 16 crew in the Gulf of Aden.

Andrew Mwangura says maritime industry sources told him that the Italian-flagged boat was towing two barges.

Mwangura's report could not immediately be confirmed with U.S., Italian or other government officials.

Mwangura says it was unclear if the attack took place off Somalia or further north near Yemen. He says he did not know what was on the barges.

Mwangura says the attack was launched around 11 a.m. (0800 GMT) Saturday. An American captain who thwarted the takeover of the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama by giving himself up as a hostage was still being held Saturday on a lifeboat being watched by two U.S. warships.

Busy little bees, these Somalians - I just don't understand how they can show up in little boats and takeover massive ships. Time for the ships to be armed and blow these little bastards out of the water. JMO

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've been following that latest episode. Apparently there is some confusion as to whether the tug is US owned or Italian owned. At least 10 of the 16 crew are Italian nationals, no word yet on if there were any US citizens on board.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So much right wing ignorance in this thread. Shoot first ask questions later.

The russians have had many ships taken hostage and they havent attacked somalia. France has had ships taken, Iran has had ships taken, Egypt has had ships taken etc etc etc and yet, none of these countries have fired a shot.

The ransoms are paid and the ships released.

Here's the problem you Glen Beck wierdos dont understand. Its called SOVERIEGN WATERS.

These pirates go into international waters and then head back into their own territorial waters therefore preventing any incursion of foriegn ships.

We dont have the RIGHT to enter somali waters for ANY reason.

If it were that easy, we'd take the somalia shores with enough firepower to wipe out every port in somalia. But, no matter who is president, we wont do that.

President Bush did ZERO in 8 years to stem the tide of pirates despite his claim to be fighting a WORLDWIDE war on terror.

Record siezures of ships were recorded during the BUSH administration tenure and now you glen beck junkies want to claim that Obama is weak.

Get serious.

Right now, diplomacy is working, has worked and willl ultimately work to end this crisis.

I agree however, that a message should be sent to the somali goverment that it must contain its citizens and police its shores and prevent pirates from using its soveriegn waters as a staging ground for high seas extortion.

First, get the UN to declare a state of emergency in the gulf. Warn Somalia that military action will comence on its shores if it does not contain its militant citizens and then we use our navy to bombard every port on the somali coast.

The problem is , these independent militants are not organized and innocent people would probably perish with military action.

There should be better military patrols in the gulf and maybe a few of these boats blown up while in international waters before they scram back to protected waters.

But lets get off our high horses and quit calling Obama weak. Save that for your tea parties with the other weak minded idiots who are led by a political machine destined for doom over the next 12 years.

Obama will show restraint and leadership along with assistance from all the other countries involved.

Give it a rest.

:wink2:

over9five

Staff member
blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah

Obama will show restraint blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah blah

Yup, that's what Obama does best.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Paid ransoms only allow this "business" to thrive.

Dumb question of the day: Why are Somali pirates even allowed to exist?

Channahon

So much right wing ignorance in this thread. Shoot first ask questions later.

There should be better military patrols in the gulf and maybe a few of these boats blown up while in international waters before they scram back to protected waters.

Taking out your pro-Obama, anti Bush political views, it appears to me like you agree with the concensus that an action needs to be taken against the Somalians to stop the hijackings.

And it looks to me, like taking out a boat load of Somalians might just send the message they need. So why the insults regarding the ignorance on this thread. Everyone is just expressing their views on the subject.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Why not blast them with this?

The long range acoustical device or LRAD!

[video=youtube;y588WH3Q-sQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y588WH3Q-sQ&NR=1[/video]
:angry-very:

over9five

Staff member
So much right wing ignorance

Here's the problem you Glen Beck wierdos

tenure and now you glen beck junkies want to claim that Obama is weak.

for your tea parties with the other weak minded idiots who are led by a

Why does TOS have to be so insulting in his/her posts?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
And it looks to me, like taking out a boat load of Somalians might just send the message they need. So why the insults regarding the ignorance on this thread. Everyone is just expressing their views on the subject.

Um, how about these gems:

Here's where Mr Obama can show us what he's made of. Let's send in the Marines and kick some pirate ***. No negotiating, no endless talking, I want to see Obama actually DO something.

He wont do a thing, Just like Clinton. Only worse.
Sickening thing we (not me) voted in for commander in chief. Maybe if we talk nice to them they will settle down. Yeah that works.
2012 a long way off.

While the Obama Administration talked (what they do best!) to the ship owners, the crew re-took the ship!

How about we let them take an oil tanker, let them bring it close to shore, and then it suddenly blows up. The burning oil will stop them from ever trying that again. And the left over oil spill will destroy their coastline for years. Yes it would be a very bad thing for the earth, but what a life lesson it would teach them.

Even better, why dont Obama tell them what they have to do. He seems to be good at doing that recently

We could trade Obama for the captain......

Obama's in a tough spot now. I'm kinda thinking he is doing the right thing by not publicly mentioning this right now.

These are all political slams or flames and have nothing to actually do with a rational discussion on this issue. Pirating has occured in that gulf for years. Another thing, the weapons these pirates are using are AMERICAN MADE MILITARY grade weapons.

Gee, I wonder how they got a hold of them?

Now we want to cry about it??

Shipping lanes are subject to PIRATING all over the globe and not just off the somali coastline.

You just dont hear about it as much.

This just happens to be FAUX news way of trying to lay this issue at Obamas feet. Where was FAUX when all the ships were taken during the BUSHED administration??

Again, right wing propaganda.

They will ultimately release the captain, no need to get your panties all bunched up.

It appears that those on this site, especially the moderators try to turn every thread into a political slam on Obama. Even though he has nothing to do with this.

He will lead, he will send who he has to. He will see to it that it gets settled without a single shot being fired. Thats what a good leader does, and this ISNT 200 years ago. So, that dopey story can die its own death.

If our military wasnt tied down in the middle east, maybe we could actually deter some of this stuff.

Until then, the right wing glen beck wantabees will use this as fodder for slamming our new president.

wkmac

TOS,

I'm no fan of Obama but I also don't have to much to disagree with what you said except to remind you of one little item.

It appears that those on this site, especially the moderators try to turn every thread into a political slam on Obama. Even though he has nothing to do with this.

First off, kinda ballsy calling out the mods. and I thought from time to time I went to far but I never did that! Thought about it but never did even the time I got filtered for language when in the same thread one of the elephant crowd used similar language and not a peep. But I said nothing.

As for every political thread. Yeah, it's fairly true and fact is I've more than had my fun at it but not that long ago when another tyrannt ran the show, you yourself ventured to that well more than once and truth be told, in a lot of cases your were dead on. Everybody has changed shoes now so to speak so if you can't take the heat (personally I've not seen much at all from the elephant Amen corner anyway unless you feel threatened by petitions :happy-very:) best stay out of the kitchen.

As for getting the pirates. Let's say Obama followed some of the advice given that TOS posted. If they did and in the course of some of that, the captive Captain was hurt or killed, you'd be screaming Obama over reacted, blah, blah, blah!

The solution IMO is for a Seal Team using rebreathers (no bubbles) to come up under the boat and with a small explosive device blow a hole in the bottom of the boat. As everyone bails, a Seal grabs the captain with spare air and takes him down and out of the situation while other Seal team members grab a pirate, head ot the bottom using death roles and then after about 5 minutes bring up the lifeless bodies for public display.

The real fix IMO is for these private companies to hire their own protect services whatever that may be or they can afford and start using that to add to the body count of the pirates. Obama's restraint in this situation may be more in true to the Constitution than people want to realize or want to accept. As much as I hate to admit it, he might to some degree be out doing Jefferson who IMO reacted outside original intent when he used his office to expand Presidential powers beyond intent and may have even committed the first act that became known today as the American Empire.

Non-Intervention in free markets and trade also extend to this kind of situation as well and while Obama has them surrounded and most likely not going anywhere, his restraint for the moment has me interested and impressed while atthe same time I feel for the captain and his family. Simple fact that the pirates know full well, something happens to that captain and a bunch of navy sailors are in for an afternoon of full on target practice. The pirates know their lives hinge on the safety of that captain no matter what.

Sammie

Excellent Post Sammie
I couldnt rep you again, darn.
I also kinda thought this would be fodder for our well trained Navy Seals. Kinda like practice for them.

Yepper. An M84 non-lethal stun grenade at beddyby time, pirates stunned and disoriented, Seals grab them and put them to sleep one last time.

The End.