Some drivers just crack me up....

CustomerConcern

So its that time of year when our "in-town" routes are getting SPORH lockdown rides. The most recent victim prior had an avg of 18.6 SPORH with 1.3 overallowed. After his 3 day ride he was at 22.3 SPORH and .4 overallowed. I got the numbers from a meeting with CTRMGR. Went and talked with driver who then told me "I used my breaks to sort and didn't take lunch until we returned to the bldg." After telling him what an idiot he is I informed him of the problem he created that he now has to do that all the time. He got real whiny told me I ain't doing my job as a steward and he demands another ride along. I laughed at him and gave him the phone number for the local.

CustomerConcern

If I remember right he runs around 170 del. with 300 pkgs and like 15 p/u. with 50 pkgs also has a small mall (about 20 stops and 5 p/u). Hours worked were some where around 50 to 55.

whiskey

Well those 3 days were a waste of time. The on car soup is just as bad as Mr. 1.3. Now there's a pair that could beat a full house.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I've had three, three day lock-in rides in the last four years.
Each one yields a different result.
Each day of each ride yields a different result.
This reaffirms my position that every day is different.
This little calculated bluff only works on the weak and timid.
Spohr is nothing more than an oversimplification of what we do.
If they can't hold us to their allowances, why would spohr be any different?
It will never change anything with me.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
If I remember right he runs around 170 del. with 300 pkgs and like 15 p/u. with 50 pkgs also has a small mall (about 20 stops and 5 p/u). Hours worked were some where around 50 to 55.

8.73 day.... 195/22.3

Supervisor should have made him take his lunch and break before returning to building.

tourists24

That is correct. The whole purpose of a lock in is to see what a driver does with a supervisor on the car to supposedly see what the "demonstrated performance" is. If things are done differently then there will not be an accurate ride and any result will be false. Same is true for a three day ride in which the route is changed every day. No way to get an accurate ride. No way to lock in anything accurately for that matter

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It baffles me how anybody can take this farce, the three day lock in driver ride seriously.
Isn't spohr, stops divided by onroad hours, two of the many variables that goes into the derivation of our allowances?
With that in mind, how does eliminating all but two variables somehow give a clearer picture?
It doesn't!
It's a calculated bluff.
Don't buy into it.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
8.73 day.... 195/22.3

Supervisor should have made him take his lunch and break before returning to building.

So.. 190 stops and 20 pickups is not even a 9 hour day.....thisis total bs.does this sound right to anyone. Do you think its right that this person has to sort on their break.....pathetic

Dragon

Package Center Manager
So.. 190 stops and 20 pickups is not even a 9 hour day.....thisis total bs.does this sound right to anyone. Do you think its right that this person has to sort on their break.....pathetic

I do not think its right he did not take his lunch on road. As for his break, no, he should not have worked on his break.
He told the steward he worked thru his break, did he record his break and then work thru it? My bet is he told the sup. he didn't want to take a break (you do not have to take a break) and kept on working and told the steward a different story.

So its that time of year when our "in-town" routes are getting SPORH lockdown rides. The most recent victim prior had an avg of 18.6 SPORH with 1.3 overallowed. After his 3 day ride he was at 22.3 SPORH and .4 overallowed. I got the numbers from a meeting with CTRMGR. Went and talked with driver who then told me "I used my breaks to sort and didn't take lunch until we returned to the bldg." After telling him what an idiot he is I informed him of the problem he created that he now has to do that all the time. He got real whiny told me I ain't doing my job as a steward and he demands another ride along. I laughed at him and gave him the phone number for the local.
Lmaorof that's funny. There is an idiot born every second.

packageguy

What is crazy, it's always someone elses fault, what did the stewart do wrong. Oh said spoke the truth. I can see this driver going for the trifecta in a 2 week time, warning letter, notice of suspense and notice of discharge.

browniehound

Whats happens on a 3-day ride when the driver really needs to use the bathroom and I mean REALLY NEEDS to use it I have gone at least 10 minutes off trace to the nearest bathroom because it was a MUST. If this happens does it disqualify the ride?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I do not think its right he did not take his lunch on road. As for his break, no, he should not have worked on his break.
He told the steward he worked thru his break, did he record his break and then work thru it? My bet is he told the sup. he didn't want to take a break (you do not have to take a break) and kept on working and told the steward a different story.
Actually you do have to take a break, and if this guy was getting a production ride then it was the supervisor's responsibility to make sure that he took it whether he wanted to or not. Just to be clear I'm talking about the unpaid lunch break.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In response to the OP, I see this all the time. Driver consistently runs an hour+ over allowed, management is always on his/her case, driver insists they are doing everything by the methods, etc. I always tell the driver "Just make sure you're doing your job and doing it right and you don't have anything to worry about." Finally management gets on the car, and the next day the operations report shows the driver ran scratch or better. I ask the driver what happened and I hear it all: "It was a perfect day", or "I didn't have any bulk or airs", or just "I don't know". You gotta do better than that.