Some friendly advice needed

davem20

Hello everyone,

I've been reading these forums for several weeks now as I've contemplated a job with UPS and gone in to take my tour for seasonal package handler. Thanks to everyone who has added their input as this site has answered so many questions for me. I would like to ask for some advice though if anyone cares to give their opinion.

I had my tour a week ago (last Monday) and was told quite confidently that we would be called or text for an interview to take place by Thursday or Friday at the latest. Friday passed with no contact. I've been told that just about everyone gets an interview and that they hire a lot of those people.

I want to believe that they are just behind considering how many people came in to the tour (at least 100 the night I was there) but a friend of mine had his tour the day after me for driver helper, was interviewed two days later and starts Monday.

I really want this job and an opportunity to start a career with UPS. I believe I am qualified and I'm also a veteran which I was told UPS likes.

So I am considering going to the hub on Monday and inquiring about the position and wanted to know what you guys think. I know you can't give me a definitive answer and every situation is different. I'm just looking for some advice. On one hand I don't want to seem impatient or pushy if they are running behind. But I also don't want to risk them filling all the spots and there be some possibility I was over looked by mistake.

I really want this job and I want to make every reasonable effort to get it. I was really impressed with the awesome people and atmosphere in this hub. So is it generally considered a faux pas to follow up on my application in person?

Thank you for any advice! Again all the information is greatly appreciated. Take care.

T

Turdferguson

It can't hurt. This time of year H.R is overwhelmed with applications. Getting hired now would make you a seasonal hire though, but it would give you an opportunity to show them how good a worker you are. Good luck

Nimnim

The Nim
Seasonal package handler is an inside position and while they do need them, a driver helper will be the priority for them.

It won't hurt for you to show up and ask HR about your application, but remember this will likely only be a position you have until January. If things drag out too long without them telling you to come in it's probably a good idea to look elsewhere for work.

Z

ZQXC

Showing up in person could only help your chances.

(Got to tell you though, You sound like too nice of a person to work at ups.)

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Call HR and see what they have to say. Like others have said helpers are priority. The seasonals in my, albeit small, center don't start until Wednesday. Volume in my area has been pretty flat so seasonals aren't a priority yet. But I can assure you they will be very soon.

HubBub

If you're in the west there are no seasonal PT'ers, only permanent. Anyway, if you want the job, call the HR number and tell them you're hired. Show up at the guard shack in work boots ready to work and thell them you're a veteran ready to work your ass off. Seriously. They'll take anyone right now, especially an assertive hard working veteran.

edit: I should say driver helpers are seasonal, hub workers are all permanent

davem20

Thank you all very much for your replies. I was going to call HR but I can't find a number anywhere and they didn't give us any contact information in the tour.

The hub in my area is setup so you have to go to a call button at a door and buzz them to talk to anyone.My hub is a very big one right next to an airport and it seems that they are hiring a ton of both inside and driver helpers.

I'm aware it will be just seasonal but they were pretty clear that they usually have some turnover and that those that show up on time everyday and work hard have a good shot at staying on. I intend to prove that I would be an asset to UPS.

As for the nice comment I try but I also was an infantryman with 1st Cav so I've got some thick skin. I know it'll be tough but I think I can adjust.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for the replies. I really appreciate it. I'm going to go down to the hub tomorrow and try to get my foot in the door.

davem20

UPDATE:

So I just made a trip down to the local hub and was after a time able to get a lady to speak to me over the intercom. Although I was very polite she was fairly snippy and refused to give me any information besides the statement "if they haven't text, called, or emailed you then you weren't selected".

On a quick side note, does UPS really send texts to setup interviews? I've been told twice to expect a text. Perhaps I'm way off but that sounds unreliable and a tad unprofessional.

So I'm still hoping it's a delay but I'm pretty disappointed. I can't imagine how I could not at least get an interview. Out of the people in my orientation group I was one of only a small handful that showed up looking like they actually wanted the job. Several guys and girls were blatantly texting and checking their phones during the orientation. It got so bad one was called out and asked if he was listening at all.

Seems from my experience with that group and the messages here that some of these people that get hired for seasonal positions are wasting spots that other people who actually want to work and have a shot at making a career could fill.

If nothing else develops, thanks again for the input and happy holidays!

davem20

What further information were you seeking?

Sorry I thought I had made that clear in my original post but perhaps it's was a little vague or implied. My main goal going down there was to see if they had filled all the package handler positions.

At my orientation we were told that we needed to call HR (though they provided no number or contact info) if we took another job or just lost interest before the interview process. If we didn't inform them that we were no longer seeking employment with UPS and they tried to contact us for an interview but we didn't respond we would not be considered for employment again later if we reapplied.

I only mention this because it seems fair that if we have to notify UPS we aren't seeking employment with them anymore that they should be equally respectful and let potential employees know they are no longer being considered. So it was my hope they would let me know if they were still looking to fill the spots if I went to HR.

This situation is the first I've ever seen where a hiring department seems to go out of its way to be unreachable.

My second goal was to get a few brief minutes with a HR rep so they could put a face to the name and know how interested I was in the job and maybe make a good first impression.

It's too bad this hubs' hiring practices are so black and white. Little things like taking a few seconds to talk to potential employees before you decide who is and isn't getting an interview can help give a better informed decision on who is going to bring the most to the company.

I'm an exceptionally hard worker and take pride in everything I do. I think I could be a real asset to UPS and it's a shame I can't find anyway to show them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Do you have any idea how many phone calls and messages HR would get everyday if their number was available to the public? This is why they are uunreachable.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Lancelot+Link+y+su+compa%C3%B1era+Mata+Hairi.jpg

davem20

Do you have any idea how many phone calls and messages HR would get everyday if their number was available to the public? This is why they are uunreachable.

Perhaps you're not reading what I wrote again but they asked us to contact them if we chose to take a different job so clearly some number needs to be available or some instructions given.

That's not even relevant because I never had any intention of calling them. I always prefer to contact an employer in person and I'm very aware of how busy they must be.

In fact I understand completely their reason for keeping their number private. The point I made was that they are totally unreachable whether that be through phone, email, or in person. I don't think letting a prospective employee (who is already talking to HR over an intercom) know simply whether the position is filled or not is too ridiculous.

Please don't mistake any of this for complaining it's just my observations of the process and a little disappointment. I wanted the job real bad but if it doesn't work out I'll get on somewhere else.

Food for thought - The "friend of mine" </sarcasm> that was hired within 3 days of his first contact with UPS happens to among other things have a serious heroine problem, been to jail at least twice in the last year, and has a knack for "acquiring" things that aren't his and selling them.

Some lucky driver gets to spend their holiday season with him.