Some of the old timers might remember..............

spif91

the old P600's, paper records, clipboard and the plastic coat......LOL
I just found this today on VHS and converted it to DVD......Bring back any memories from 1984??????????
My fiance didn't do a great job filming but is still a classic.....

[video=youtube;yYM60ulpJ9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYM60ulpJ9k[/video]

Dustyroads

Man, that is a classic. I think your finacee might have a career in LP, the jerkiness had a definite reality show feeling. Great job, man, you just keep digging the stuff out!

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Number 1: Thanks for the very personal sharing of your life that you provided.
Number 2: Who was that person coming out of the back doors of the PC at 1:20???

Number 3: Please refer to Number 1....

DorkHead

Boy, does that ever bring back memories. I started in 84, driving in 87. My PC was a 1964 Ford, 23 yrs. old. What a piece of crap! But it was the best UPS truck in the snow. Way better than the 800 I drove in the early 90`s

satellitedriver

Remember?
I still drive a 1980's P5.
The nostalgia was in seeing all the cars in your video.
63'Ford PU. Monte Carlos with 4" white wall gangster tires, Mazda's ect...

Tony31yrs

I started driving in 1979 and our center had 20+year old internationals and GMC's in 350 and 400 sizes. The windshield wipers worked off the engine vacuum-the higher the rpm the faster the wipers moved. There were all kinds of holes in the floors and the dash moved one way and the body another on bumpy roads. We called them "widow makers"!

slantnosechevy

I didn't see the one car length between you and that '66 Chevy p/u. Another warning letter. Love the farmer high hat. I still have that coat. Miss the P600s and all the splinters from the wooden shelves and bulkhead. They were UPS's version of the Sherman tank. They'd go anywhere and were pretty much industructable. None better in the snow. I think we kept 3 of them past 30 years. I remember coming up on a stop light at a busy hwy. intersection and hitting the brakes at 55mph. only to hear a wheel cylinder pop and the pedal go to the floor. Luckily no one got killed or hit. Called in and they wanted me to drive it back to the center on the handbrake. I told them fine right after I stop off at the DOT scales and inspection site.

spif91

Man, that is a classic. I think your finacee might have a career in LP, the jerkiness had a definite reality show feeling. Great job, man, you just keep digging the stuff out!

I've still got to find my copy of the Big Idea magazine when I made the front cover an a 4 page spread inside from '84. Have to scan it and post it before long.

island1fox

:happy-very:What happens in M does not always stay in M. This is for Local 804 --in the days of Ron Carey --Does any old timer remember the "cage cars" the "cages" and the Furniture cars ? --only in Manhattan --the BIG APPLE !!!!

whiskey

Thanks for taking me back to the good years.
Are you still pencil thin? And do you still have the same sense on urgency?

browned out

It looks a little before 1984. Maybe you are older than you think you are. UPS is keeping you feeling young. Looks like 1978; I think I saw me and my buddies driving by on our bikes with baseball cards in the spokes, a jam box on the handlebars, listening to Zep Great post Keep the cameras rolling; it's better than a memory without a doubt.

Last edited:

spif91

Thanks for taking me back to the good years.
Are you still pencil thin? And do you still have the same sense on urgency?
No I've been in Feeders the last 6 yrs. That should tell you all you need to know about the sense of urgency and whether I'm still pencil thin. LOL

island1fox

You had to love those clipboards in the pouring rain. Try to cover them with a dr bag and keep the ink from running.

Especially with a piece of carbon paper between the delivery record to make a copy for outlying centers to do LDI tracing --the blue tissues !!!:happy-very: