Some veterans advice??

Jimmyb31

I'm in my 30 day training and I'm going in to my fourth full week. I know you are suppose to have a 5 day scratch but they keep giving me Monday's off. I'm pretty sure my route is cut on Mondays. I come in under allowed Tue-Fri I have not missed one package and I am being told everyday how well I'm doing. Do you guys think I'll make it. I can't get a 5 day scratch if I'm not working full weeks. I mean technically i do have a 5 days scratch bcuz the days I do work I come in under allowed. I hope I make seniority. Was just wanting some advice from the veterans. Thanks for any kind you mace give.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jimmyb31

Thanks guys. I guess hearing from someone outside the box is what I needed for a little insurance. There is a guy in my center who is trying to make seniority and they keep telling him that when he's under allowed and not at 0 that he's not scratching. This is what his supervisor is telling him, but my center manager told me the exact opposite. 0 and below is where I want to be. I don't think he's taking his lunches. I take my full 30 everyday. I've heard of guys getting fired for not taking lunches. I think he's on their :censored2: list is why they keep messing with him. It's to bad bcuz he's a good kid. He just wants a shot. I told him no matter what make sure he takes his lunch.

Sent using BrownCafe App

DriverMD

Thanks guys. I guess hearing from someone outside the box is what I needed for a little insurance. There is a guy in my center who is trying to make seniority and they keep telling him that when he's under allowed and not at 0 that he's not scratching. This is what his supervisor is telling him, but my center manager told me the exact opposite. 0 and below is where I want to be. I don't think he's taking his lunches. I take my full 30 everyday. I've heard of guys getting fired for not taking lunches. I think he's on their :censored2: list is why they keep messing with him. It's to bad bcuz he's a good kid. He just wants a shot. I told him no matter what make sure he takes his lunch.

Sent using BrownCafe App
0 and under is scratch. Some sups in my building are fine even if you're like 5 over. As long as you dont have an accident you should be good.

Jimmyb31

My first day alone i was 42 clicks over. Then for like a week I sat right at a hour, ever since last week I've came in under allowed. This will actually be my 3 week alone. Not 4. Sorry I thought it was 4. It's 4 total 3 by myself.

Sent using BrownCafe App

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Find a veteran who can show you how to read the reports if there are any left who look. 5 consecutive days should be 5 days in a row you worked, not in the same week.
My observation is new guys spend too much time in PM check in, and that hurts your overallow. Not saying you do....Toward the end of the day as you are in the truck get your air in one tight spot, your send agains tight in another, your clerk pkgs close to the front, or in one tight spot, take a cod envelope with you in the morning, do it on one of your breaks, hit the parking lot, unload and punch out in truck. You can shave off .25 real quick.

Alot of the newbies spend too much time yakking with other drivers, once they get in and are relieved just to be done, and that all counts. Also if you get held up at a business use that as part of your lunch. Ups does not recognize Unplanned things that happen in real life, it is crucial now, that you give them the numbers. Not saying you should ever lie or cheat, you should not, this isnt cheating. If you have to wait on a dock, put yourself on lunch, straighten your truck, check your phone etc, use it to your advantage at this point. ( after you qualify, your lunch and break times are yours, now it is a battle of numbers, which in most places are unrealistic).

Not saying that is how you should do it once you qualify, just how you should do it now. Then when you get in the building you can get help and advice from others, and it is very helpful, I know it was to me, and you are not burning up the clock. Good luck you will be fine.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was asked to help out a driver who was going through his 30 day training. I backed up to the rear of his car so he could give some work and was shocked at just how disorganized his car was. I am not talking about the load as it was obvious he had moved work around. He had his pickup pieces all over the car, his air was not segregated and his send agains/clerk work were in with his pickup pieces. I took 5 minutes and walked him through how I set my car up during the day.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I was asked to help out a driver who was going through his 30 day training. I backed up to the rear of his car so he could give some work and was shocked at just how disorganized his car was. I am not talking about the load as it was obvious he had moved work around. He had his pickup pieces all over the car, his air was not segregated and his send agains/clerk work were in with his pickup pieces. I took 5 minutes and walked him through how I set my car up during the day.
I wasn't disorganized like that, but I was helped out by a couple veterans while in my 30. I'll always be grateful for their help & knowledge

AKCoverMan

I think most of us had this kind of help early in our careers. With all the new kids being hired now there is going to be a lot of opportunity to "pay it forward".

Covering an air route on Friday I got to a pickup same time packet boy is delivering. He has arms full of packages while backing down the steps of the package car lol. Needless to say we had a Mentoring Moment.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think most of us had this kind of help early in our careers. With all the new kids being hired now there is going to be a lot of opportunity to "pay it forward".

Covering an air route on Friday I got to a pickup same time packet boy is delivering. He has arms full of packages while backing down the steps of the package car lol. Needless to say we had a Mentoring Moment.
I try to help. I dont act like a know it all. They seem to appreciate it, but wth do I know. They think since I am a girl, its been all humming birds and butterflies every day for me.

Cementups

Box Monkey

I trained another driver a couple months ago on my trip and when I was at my first pickup stop he was just throwing them in on the shelf. And I was pushing them forward and packing them tight he asked me why I was doing that. I asked if he ever ran a trip that fills up full with pickups. His answer was no. I told he better learn on this one then because one day I could only pickup 200 pieces and then the next day I will pick up 1,500 pieces. So you have to be ready when the storm hits. And I'm in the biggest truck in the fleet (14xxxx). I'm not sure he believed me.

oldngray

nowhere special
I trained another driver a couple months ago on my trip and when I was at my first pickup stop he was just throwing them in on the shelf. And I was pushing them forward and packing them tight he asked me why I was doing that. I asked if he ever ran a trip that fills up full with pickups. His answer was no. I told he better learn on this one then because one day I could only pickup 200 pieces and then the next day I will pick up 1,500 pieces. So you have to be ready when the storm hits. And I'm in the biggest truck in the fleet (14xxxx). I'm not sure he believed me.

I knew drivers like that who just threw pickup pieces on the shelf wasting space, then they would cry about running out of room when they were really only half full.

Jimmyb31

Find a veteran who can show you how to read the reports if there are any left who look. 5 consecutive days should be 5 days in a row you worked, not in the same week.
My observation is new guys spend too much time in PM check in, and that hurts your overallow. Not saying you do....Toward the end of the day as you are in the truck get your air in one tight spot, your send agains tight in another, your clerk pkgs close to the front, or in one tight spot, take a cod envelope with you in the morning, do it on one of your breaks, hit the parking lot, unload and punch out in truck. You can shave off .25 real quick.

Alot of the newbies spend too much time yakking with other drivers, once they get in and are relieved just to be done, and that all counts. Also if you get held up at a business use that as part of your lunch. Ups does not recognize Unplanned things that happen in real life, it is crucial now, that you give them the numbers. Not saying you should ever lie or cheat, you should not, this isnt cheating. If you have to wait on a dock, put yourself on lunch, straighten your truck, check your phone etc, use it to your advantage at this point. ( after you qualify, your lunch and break times are yours, now it is a battle of numbers, which in most places are unrealistic).

Not saying that is how you should do it once you qualify, just how you should do it now. Then when you get in the building you can get help and advice from others, and it is very helpful, I know it was to me, and you are not burning up the clock. Good luck you will be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I usually get all my stuff together after I deliver my last stop. Like get my paper work together. My DVIR sheet filled out and tore out ready to hand in. And throughout the day I put my send agains on one side of the car and my G2's on the other side. My smalls are bagged up throughout the day and I keep my air " when I have some" in the very front of the 3000 shelf. When I get back to the center I'm usually punched out within 8-10 minutes of getting back. Sooner than that if I don't have any G2's to write up. I learned my lesson a week or so ago when my Sup showed me that I was taking 15-20+ min to punch out from the time I got back in. I was separating all my stuff and getting all my paperwork after I backed in for the night. Now that I do it this way I have saved quite a bit of time.

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Thanks for the advice. I usually get all my stuff together after I deliver my last stop. Like get my paper work together. My DVIR sheet filled out and tore out ready to hand in. And throughout the day I put my send agains on one side of the car and my G2's on the other side. My smalls are bagged up throughout the day and I keep my air " when I have some" in the very front of the 3000 shelf. When I get back to the center I'm usually punched out within 8-10 minutes of getting back. Sooner than that if I don't have any G2's to write up. I learned my lesson a week or so ago when my Sup showed me that I was taking 15-20+ min to punch out from the time I got back in. I was separating all my stuff and getting all my paperwork after I backed in for the night. Now that I do it this way I have saved quite a bit of time.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Keep that up after you qualify. A good turn in routine will get you home that much quicker.

Jimmyb31

Group 2's is what we call them and yes I mean exceptions, and we have to write them up. Somedays I have 3 or 4 to write up and it takes a few minutes.

Sent using BrownCafe App