Somebody Died - Now He Can Drive!

bluehdmc

I've seen that on a few occasions and I've seen similar effects on part-timers going into full-time driving.

Interestingly, this effect ssemed to be the most common and exagerated when a part-time hourly went into part-time management.

But the greatest change was my wife when we got married. :biting:

I've heard that after the male says "I do" the wife says "Not anymore.":laughing:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Guys that are of age and eligible won't retire and younger guys are laid off. At some point, sadly, someone is going to be happy when these older guys die off.

The retirement age for full pension will be 80 soon.

It's not the drivers being the stickliers always, either, as you know. If you started driving here in NE at 22 y/o, you need 43 years of driving in to collect at 65. 43 years? that's cruel and unusual UPS punishment

Unless of course you bid down to a 22.3 or bid into feeders.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
when are you ever going to make waves to make seniority on the FT list....arent you just shooting yourself in the foot?

Benefits.

That is the beginning, middle & end of my employ w/ups. Could not care less if I was full, part, or no time, driver, unloader, or trash-can cleaner.

I used to feel the exact opposite, as in I was MR. UPS, kiss ass (and deliver a few donuts). UPS has beaten that attitude of mine to death.

I am completely, 100% indifferent at this time. I know what I've gone thru, and, as important, I see on a daily basis what FT drivers put up with.

No, thank you very much.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Benefits.

That is the beginning, middle & end of my employ w/ups. Could not care less if I was full, part, or no time, driver, unloader, or trash-can cleaner.

I used to feel the exact opposite, as in I was MR. UPS, kiss ass (and deliver a few donuts). UPS has beaten that attitude of mine to death.

I am completely, 100% indifferent at this time. I know what I've gone thru, and, as important, I see on a daily basis what FT drivers put up with.

No, thank you very much.

Fair enough. you would be paid 2-3x more to do the same thing. the only thing is if you made waves you wouldnt be driving much longer and it'd be another temp cover. But still, might as well be paid well for what you do. none of my business though.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm not making this up.

On leaving the center tonight, I saw a coverdriver friend of mine, a man who has not driven since before Christmas, and he was in browns! He drove yesterday & today.

He is jumping up & down with joy, yelling to me "Somebody died - I get to drive!"

I really didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Laugh, and then cry, because it's true.

After you've been STUGGED real bad a few times
You ain't kidding, there!

New curse - "Go STUG Yourself"
Careful, you may, Stug your toe.

.....yeah but going into management seems to have bizarre effects on one's ego.
As well as the size of one's Buttox.

Pfft.... Marriage.... Rookies...

Have kids to kiss your previous life goodbye..

(Holy Stug, I've HiJacked my own thread!)
There you go again, using the name in vain. That'll be 5 Hail Mary's, and 12 Our Father's.

Re-Raise

This thread seems to be in pretty poor taste being displayed directly under the thread about the tragic accident which took an employee's life.

I know this thread came up first, but couldn't it be removed now.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
This thread seems to be in pretty poor taste being displayed directly under the thread about the tragic accident which took an employee's life.

I know this thread came up first, but couldn't it be removed now.

Would you believe I never made the connection until you wrote that? As the OP, I have no problem with whatever the mods decide, although the topic was a serious one.

STEVE, I'll stop using the STUG curse-word if you wish - you own the rights to it, just let me know. Stop being so stugging sensitive...

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Fair enough. you would be paid 2-3x more to do the same thing. the only thing is if you made waves you wouldnt be driving much longer and it'd be another temp cover. But still, might as well be paid well for what you do. none of my business though.

For reasons I won't bring up here (some people are incapable of acting like adults on the subject), that is an incorrect assumption. Not that you would know that.

So that being said, any way to get the benefits.

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey

No, thank you very much.

You know, as with any job.....this job is really only as hard you make it. A lot of drivers who complain the most tend to bring it upon themselves.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
You know, as with any job.....this job is really only as hard you make it. A lot of drivers who complain the most tend to bring it upon themselves.

I agree in theory. In fact, I agree in practice. I am much happier at work now that I just don't give a damn. I am completely serious - does that make sense?