Someone Charged w/ an accident. UPS vehicle leaking oil

barnyard

KTM rider
Our center has addresses with driveways so long that the house can't be seen. Steep ones too. Every driver drives these locations. No one walks off these packages.

If driveway UPS protocol was followed at these special addresses SPORH would suffer.
Not to mention the driver.

We also have those driveways. Typically, those are not the ones where we hit things. The last 5 basketball hoop hits have been in driveways less than 200 ft long. Backed into an awning, driveway less than 150 ft.

Quit looking for the exceptions and start thinking about when it makes sense to stay out of the driveway.

jimstud

Banned
Leaking oil in a customer's driveway is included in the cost of shipping?:wink2:

We may all be package monkeys but some us have evolved a bit more than others.
how do you know that was not a long dead end street that he had no choice but to back into the driveway or back out a long street onto a main road?

I GOT ONE MORE

Quit looking for the exceptions and start thinking about when it makes sense to stay out of the driveway.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying,

I'm just saying.

how do you know that was not a long dead end street that he had no choice but to back into the driveway or back out a long street onto a main road?

It is very easy to back without having the engine or oil pan over someones driveway. Especially if you know (or have an idea) that the car is leaking oil.

BROWN430

Same issue here. We were told if you are in someones driveway and they call in because you left oil in their driveway it is property damage and an accident. I had my power steering pump break and all the fluid leaked out. Mechanic came out with 2 bottles of power steering fluid and said to keep putting it in through the day. So what am I suppose to do park on busy street and lift hood and dump it in. Then take a chance of being hit will parked on road? If you were to pull into someones parking lot to put it in and they called in complaint of leak then you would be in trouble for that also. If they don't want the leaks then fix it. Can't expect a truck with 250000 to 300000 miles to not leak something. DAMNED IF YOU DO DAMNED IF YOU DON'T

barnyard

KTM rider
When I blew a power steering pump, I called it in, but not that it was a power steering pump. They sent another truck out and towed mine back to the shop. I would have needed gallons of fluid to finish my day, it wasn't leaking, it was spewing.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Leaking oil in a customer's driveway is included in the cost of shipping?:wink2:

We may all be package monkeys but some us have evolved a bit more than others.

Everyone leave Upstate alone !!

He is a DM in a driver's body and his opinion is UPS charter !

Upstate is one of the few package monkeys that has evolved to work off the clock to massage his load in the morning. Darwin's theory was right !

BROWN430

So what some of you are saying is if you are on the crest of a hill or on a curve where if you park on the street noone can see around you, just park on the street a take a chance of getting hit while parked? Or if you have a 1/4 to 1/2 mile driveway we should just park on the street and walk it while the truck is sitting on the road while some idiot on a cell phone comes by not paying attention and clips you? Then you get charged with accident there to. And for what? Because someone else was not looking ahead. Not all situation out there are the same. Staying out of the driveway is not always the safest thing to do. I would rather not be hit while parked.

barnyard

KTM rider
Or if you have a 1/4 to 1/2 mile driveway

The vast majority of driveway crashes happen in driveways less than 200 ft long. For me, if it is too long to walk and there is no turn around near the house, they either get their package in a DR bag tied to the mailbox post or I take it back and they can pick it up at the center.

There are darn few drives that are more than 1/4 mile that do not have a decent turn around near the house.

If there is any discussion with a boss, I remind them of the resi driveway policy and ask for an exception in writing.

I had a ride along in my 2nd year and the boss said, "You are walking too many driveways." A month later I got stuck and while getting unstuck, I broke a mirror. I fought the avoidable/unavoidable thing because I was specifically instructed not to walk so many driveways.

I lost that argument. So now, when in doubt, walk.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The company can "charge" you with an "avoidable accident" for anything, anytime, anywhere.

There is really no point in developing a sense of entitlement around recieving safe driving awards. The company is not contractually obligated to provide them, so as far as I am concerned they no longer exist. The company's method for determining "avoidable" vs. "unavoidable" is entirely arbitrary and subject to the whims of the management person in question. It has no factual basis in reality and is therefore unworthy of concern on my part.

If the driver in question here was issued a warning letter for dripping oil, then so be it; however, if a subsequent accident leads to a suspension letter, the original warning letter would be tossed out as a basis for discipline.

bluehdmc

If the vehicle has an FHWA inspection decal on it, it cannot have a "dripping" oil leak, (as opposed to seepage, a wet area on a component). That is violation. The person doing the inspection who signed off on it has falsified the records.

babboo25

Banned
We all have an upstate as a co-worker. He is the one that is always shaking is head yes at the pcm's and is on the safety committee I'm sure. Cant stand know it alls, I drive over 150 miles a day and have no choice but to use driveways or get side swiped. Upstate have you ever delivered to a rural area before?? Keep on being a brown noser and maybe you will get a special raise. My only question is how long was this driver parked in the driveway for that much oil to leak out??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We all have an upstate as a co-worker. He is the one that is always shaking is head yes at the pcm's and is on the safety committee I'm sure. Cant stand know it alls, I drive over 150 miles a day and have no choice but to use driveways or get side swiped. Upstate have you ever delivered to a rural area before?? Keep on being a brown noser and maybe you will get a special raise. My only question is how long was this driver parked in the driveway for that much oil to leak out??

Boo boo, we are not talking about rural driveways where you can't see the hourse from the main road. We are talking about the typical driveway in a cookie cutter subdivision, less than 200' long.

I did have a rural area for 2 bid cycles but bid off as I am not a big fan of winter driving. I have had more than my fair share of walking off stops because of snow/ice/mud so don't preach to me.

As for the rest of your drivel, aller merde vous.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We all have an upstate as a co-worker. He is the one that is always shaking his head yes at the pcm's and is on the safety committee I'm sure. Cant stand know it alls, I drive over 150 miles a day and have no choice but to use driveways or get side swiped. Upstate have you ever delivered to a rural area before?? Keep on being a brown noser and maybe you will get a special raise. My only question is how long was this driver parked in the driveway for that much oil to leak out??
It's actually shaking ones head no or nodding yes. Which is it? I deliver rural rtes all the time and I don't always have to use the driveway. If I can I get off the road. If I can't do so safely then I don't.

SmithBarney

Once I blew a hydraulic line in a cul-de-sac in a nice circle
Told management to report the spill... never happened... oh how the EPA would have
loved that.

TheDick

Upstate's just playing the game according to UPS' rules. But i do disagree with the "accident". Should be an "incident" or an "occurence" especially if the driver had to use a driveway too make a 3point turn, but im sure the center manager will say he should have backed out to the road or mayjor high-traffic thorofare instead to avoid the concern.
You should stay out of driveways in a perfect world. Upstate aint to bad i'd gladly trade-up my saftey comm. leader for Upstate anyday.

Upstate if his route is in the country he will have to use a driveway or two thats how it is. I have a country route and i walk alot of driveways but 500 feet 900 feet 1200 feet your going to be using thr driveway. SLeD HEad start walking them all off make them pay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate if his route is in the country he will have to use a driveway or two thats how it is. I have a country route and i walk alot of driveways but 500 feet 900 feet 1200 feet your going to be using thr driveway. SLeD HEad start walking them all off make them pay.

If you would have taken the time to actually read this thread you would have seen that I agree with you and that it is the typical residential driveways that we need to stay out of, not the ones where you can't see the house from the main road.