something i dont understand

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by City Driver, May 25, 2009.

1. City Driver

City Driver New Member

2. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

3. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

4. City Driver

City Driver New Member

yes, alot

i know a couple of there drivers, worked with them at roadway, they are laid off
  5. Livin the Dream?

Livin the Dream? Disillusioned UPSer

We have new hires here in the NE, with cover-drivers still doing all the local sort - doesn't make sense.
  6. bubsdad

bubsdad "Hang in there!"

Vacation coverage drivers would be my guess. As long as they have full time drivers laid off and working in the hub they can't hire or bring package car drivers into feeders.
  7. evilleace

evilleace Member

At my center we are actually hiring seasonal drivers go figure.
  8. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

I would be filing on that.
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Tex, your answer confuses me. Evil never said that there were drivers on layoff in his center--if he did I don't recall reading it and apologize to you.
  10. bubsdad

bubsdad "Hang in there!"

I was told yesterday by our BA that freight runs on way different rules. They can, in fact hire vacation coverage drivers and use them while they have full timers displaced. This makes absolutely no sense, but then again alot of the rules in freight are mind boggling.
  11. Fenah

Fenah New Member

I think that by laying off people who have been there for a while with substantially higher pay would be laid off and the company would then hire new people starting at lower wages, therefore saving them money. Pretty dirty in my book. Not saying that's the reason but its always a possibility.
  12. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

I guess I just assumed they were laying off.