Something To Remember As We Enter Peak

bbsam

Staff member
Wrong they are expecting our volume to start a major increase the weekend after thanksgiving. Shows how much you know.

A million pieces over a few weeks throughout the network. I don't have the zip code breakdown but you are crazy if you think that can't be managed.

MAKAVELI

Contractors make much more than $13 an hour... We make more than 30 per hour plus the fuel as well. Fedex would save money doing it this way...

There are a lot more express drivers than contractors. Figure in ot, fuel, wear on vehicles, etc and it's a losing proposition at ground's prices. Now if they got rid of the middle man( you ), now that would make this idea profitable.

bbsam

Staff member
There are a lot more express drivers than contractors. Figure in ot, fuel, wear on vehicles, etc and it's a losing proposition at ground's prices. Now if they got rid of the middle man( you ), now that would make this idea profitable.

That's exactly who they are getting rid of with this freight and your trucks are.going.to be in the neighborhood anyway. By God I think you are getting it.now.

MAKAVELI

That's exactly who they are getting rid of with this freight and your trucks are.going.to be in the neighborhood anyway. By God I think you are getting it.now.
You don't get it. We don't have the bodies to take on ground volume. We didn't have enough last year and this year is projected for even more volume. Everyone in my station last year was over 60 hours and many close to the dot limit. We are not ground. 11 hours on road max. No falsification of dot records on the express side. Many of us also do other functions at the station. Just too late in the game to make this stupid idea work. Just not enough bodies.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wrong. Ground's peak starts the Monday after Thanksgiving. For 2 and a half weeks after Thanksgiving Express is relatively calm. That's when Express can be fully utilized.

Let's see. At my station, which is fairly typical these days, we are already 12 people short on coverage. They have handlers out doing routes, even though that's not supposed to happen. It isn't even holding together, and you want to add to the problem. Even better, our "leaders" in Memphis think this is a good idea...and so do you. What a Brain Trust.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You don't get it. We don't have the bodies to take on ground volume. We didn't have enough last year and this year is projected for even more volume. Everyone in my station last year was over 60 hours and many close to the dot limit. We are not ground. 11 hours on road max. No falsification of dot records on the express side. Many of us also do other functions at the station. Just too late in the game to make this stupid idea work. Just not enough bodies.

Let them find out the hard way. LOOKS GOOD ON PAPER and the engineers say Express couriers can be more productive!!

STFXG

What if they just send business volume to express? We both go to those same places every day anyways. It puts volume on the express trucks and the cost to have express deliver those extra packages would be minimal.

bbsam

Staff member
Let's see. At my station, which is fairly typical these days, we are already 12 people short on coverage. They have handlers out doing routes, even though that's not supposed to happen. It isn't even holding together, and you want to add to the problem. Even better, our "leaders" in Memphis think this is a good idea...and so do you. What a Brain Trust.

I think you don't get it. It's not that it's a great idea except that they are out of options. I didn't think it would be possible when I first heard it. But there is a way to move from one opco to another.

bbsam

Staff member
What if they just send business volume to express? We both go to those same places every day anyways. It puts volume on the express trucks and the cost to have express deliver those extra packages would be minimal.

or to concentrated zip codes where 20 stops per hour is easy.

MAKAVELI

Why not just cut you guys out of the equation permanently? Become like UPS. A lean efficient delivery machine. One driver del both ground and express. If they actually put this plan into effect it would open a very large can of worms.

bbsam

Staff member
Did he say how many? No. Did he say if they were already short handed? No. Do you think the ramps and hubs have a surplus of handlers for peak ? No . Again you have no clue of how our operation works.

Maybe it's not about succeeding but maximizing profit.

bbsam

Staff member
Why not just cut you guys out of the equation permanently? Become like UPS. A lean efficient delivery machine. One driver del both ground and express. If they actually put this plan into effect it would open a very large can of worms.

Not really. Technically it is Express.volume.

STFXG

We are still cheaper. Far less administrative costs, benefits (what you have left of them), HR, etc... Those things are already paid for come peak. The extra volume would be extra profit for express.

MAKAVELI

We are still cheaper. Far less administrative costs, benefits (what you have left of them), HR, etc... Those things are already paid for come peak. The extra volume would be extra profit for express.

Be careful what you wish for. Express just might eat you lunch. If Express can do it at peak then there is no reason we couldn't do it permanently. Unlike contractors we don't turn away freight.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Be careful what you wish for. Express just might eat you lunch. If Express can do it at peak then there is no reason we couldn't do it permanently. Unlike contractors we don't turn away freight.
Or decide were just gonna take peak off and leave the drivers to fend for themselves.