Something we already knew.

Goldilocks

I don't know about that, but I do struggle with the fact that Jesus never did condemn slavery....

Why would you bring slavery up? What about the Khmer Rouge and Srebrenica massacre and the holucaust? The suffering of man kind is created only by man kind itself. Greed, Power, Money. Dont get me wrong, slavery was terrible but many others have suffered too from the hands of the greedy, power hungry and the love of money humans on this planet.

IsItME

I wouldn't say that. I just have a different point of view and don't hesitate to express it. And you find that bothersome?

Ok, angry guy. I know people who make lots more than you and me too. Yea for us. Do what you want because it's obvious you hate Fedex. I can't see for the life of me why anyone would go on like that, but hey, that's your choice.
Yes, I hate FedEx. However, I've made my workspace quite tolerable. I hate what they do to the worker. I'm hardly an angry person. Funny you defaulted to that as a reply.

bbsam

Staff member
Why would you bring slavery up? What about the Khmer Rouge and Srebrenica massacre and the holucaust? The suffering of man kind is created only by man kind itself. Greed, Power, Money. Dont get me wrong, slavery was terrible but many others have suffered too from the hands of the greedy, power hungry and the love of money humans on this planet.

I brought it up because people around here have the cajones to compare working for Fexex to slavery or indentured servitude. Taking history as a whole, I find it hard to see that we have ever been anything but what we are now. We may call it different things through the ages or across sociopolitical landscapes, but there seems to always have been the different classes to some extent.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, I hate FedEx. However, I've made my workspace quite tolerable. I hate what they do to the worker. I'm hardly an angry person. Funny you defaulted to that as a reply.

actually my default reply was do whatever you want. Hating what you do is no way to go through life. I guess I would be angry if I was doing that. Perhaps you have made peace with it since it is temporary.

IsItME

I'm not R1a. However, I missed reading his insight. He seemed to have a great understanding of what goes on. He also did something weird I always noticed "unneeded parenthesis" when he typed. My favorite on this site is "bigboobsam". I've been reading since May and commenting a short time.

IsItME

I wouldn't say that. I just have a different point of view and don't hesitate to express it. And you find that bothersome?

Ok, angry guy. I know people who make lots more than you and me too. Yea for us. Do what you want because it's obvious you hate Fedex. I can't see for the life of me why anyone would go on like that, but hey, that's your choice.

actually my default reply was do whatever you want. Hating what you do is no way to go through life. I guess I would be angry if I was doing that. Perhaps you have made peace with it since it is temporary.
No. I can hate the company but carve out my own work environment by surrounding myself with enjoyable people and creating a positive daily life in there. Keeping it real against an evil corporation is a moral obligation. That's my stance.

bbsam

Staff member
No. I can hate the company but carve out my own work environment by surrounding myself with enjoyable people and creating a positive daily life in there. Keeping it real against an evil corporation is a moral obligation. That's my stance.

Fair enough. I view myself as doing the same only I don't hate the co.pany. In fact, I have relatively little interaction with the company on a day to day basis.

vantexan

I brought it up because people around here have the cajones to compare working for Fexex to slavery or indentured servitude. Taking history as a whole, I find it hard to see that we have ever been anything but what we are now. We may call it different things through the ages or across sociopolitical landscapes, but there seems to always have been the different classes to some extent.

Through the ages those with physical or technological superiority have dominated other groups. And while slavery is repugnant, keep in mind that you have to look at it in ways other than the brutality of American slavery. Take the Romans, pretty brutal themselves but their domination of other peoples resulted in hundreds of years of relative peace and prosperity. Paxa Roma. Catholics in Latin America allowed slaves to earn their freedom and even marry into their families. What ultimately ended slavery on a mass scale was technological advancement. If everything still required manual labor with no machines then you can bet we'd still have slavery. By the time Lincoln emancipated the slaves the South was trying to hang on to a system that was more about the right to dominate than an actual need for large groups of slaves. Machines were taking their place and, as was realized by forward thinking people, beyond the ethics it no longer made sense economically to feed, clothe, and house large numbers of people. This is the parallel with today. The rich and powerful are eliminating the need for many workers with technology, and are herding us into menial jobs where they can dominate us and make us dependent. This was the plight of the working man at the start of the 20th Century, labor pushed back and won many concessions, then the elite realized there were billions of people around the world who'd be happy to have anything and technology has made it possible to take those jobs to the poor in other countries. The pendulum has swung back to management, and more and more of us are left scrambling to take whatever we can get in the wake of the "New Normal". So yes, there has always been a leadership in every corner of the world that has sought to dominate the masses to their own benefit. Slavery was it's most brutal form, but then Communism, Japanese Imperalism, Fascism demonstrated recently that brutality comes in many forms. The Aztecs, Mayans, and Incas dominated their realms, the Comanches use to raid Mexico every Fall to kill and take slaves and livestock. The Mongols, the Huns, the list is endless and the end result was a conquered people dominated by another. We may have a much milder form going on now. Instead of a whole country or race or ethnic group we are being dominated in smaller groups by corporations. Luckily, and I hope it lasts, we have the right to quit. We also have the right to starve in the street so ultimately we will attach ourselves in servitude to another corporate hierarchy or stay content in the one we're in now.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Through the ages those with physical or technological superiority have dominated other groups. And while slavery is repugnant, keep in mind that you have to look at it in ways other than the brutality of American slavery. Take the Romans, pretty brutal themselves but their domination of other peoples resulted in hundreds of years of relative peace and prosperity. Paxa Roma. Catholics in Latin America allowed slaves to earn their freedom and even marry into their families. What ultimately ended slavery on a mass scale was technological advancement. If everything still required manual labor with no machines then you can bet we'd still have slavery. By the time Lincoln emancipated the slaves the South was trying to hang on to a system that was more about the right to dominate than an actual need for large groups of slaves. Machines were taking their place and, as was realized by forward thinking people, beyond the ethics it no longer made sense economically to feed, clothe, and house large numbers of people. This is the parallel with today. The rich and powerful are eliminating the need for many workers with technology, and are herding us into menial jobs where they can dominate us and make us dependent. This was the plight of the working man at the start of the 20th Century, labor pushed back and won many concessions, then the elite realized there were billions of people around the world who'd be happy to have anything and technology has made it possible to take those jobs to the poor in other countries. The pendulum has swung back to management, and more and more of us are left scrambling to take whatever we can get in the wake of the "New Normal". So yes, there has always been a leadership in every corner of the world that has sought to dominate the masses to their own benefit. Slavery was it's most brutal form, but then Communism, Japanese Imperalism, Fascism demonstrated recently that brutality comes in many forms. The Aztecs, Mayans, and Incas dominated their realms, the Comanches use to raid Mexico every Fall to kill and take slaves and livestock. The Mongols, the Huns, the list is endless and the end result was a conquered people dominated by another. We may have a much milder form going on now. Instead of a whole country or race or ethnic group we are being dominated in smaller groups by corporations. Luckily, and I hope it lasts, we have the right to quit. We also have the right to starve in the street so ultimately we will attach ourselves in servitude to another corporate hierarchy or stay content in the one we're in now.

Well said. But who are the dominators of today.....the GOP, right? Sure, there are also some elite Dems, but most of the brutal CEO's are Republicans. So it was back in the 1930's as well, when labor swung the momentum back in their direction...by force.

vantexan

Well said. But who are the dominators of today.....the GOP, right? Sure, there are also some elite Dems, but most of the brutal CEO's are Republicans. So it was back in the 1930's as well, when labor swung the momentum back in their direction...by force.

And unfortunately those at the top never seem to learn the lesson that trying to control others while lining their own pockets eventually leads to rebellion and revolution. By the way, it's not the Republicans trying to take guns away. Both parties have their agendas.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And unfortunately those at the top never seem to learn the lesson that trying to control others while lining their own pockets eventually leads to rebellion and revolution. By the way, it's not the Republicans trying to take guns away. Both parties have their agendas.

Nobody is trying to take your guns away. They are trying to stop psychos from obtaining 30 round clips that can off a room of schoolchildren in a minute or two. Obama has never messed with the 2nd Amendment, nor will he because he knows it's a "nowhere" issue he cannot win. Nobody envisioned 30 round automatics back in 1776.

vantexan

Nobody is trying to take your guns away. They are trying to stop psychos from obtaining 30 round clips that can off a room of schoolchildren in a minute or two. Obama has never messed with the 2nd Amendment, nor will he because he knows it's a "nowhere" issue he cannot win. Nobody envisioned 30 round automatics back in 1776.

New York is now limiting clips to 7 bullets, or are trying to pass a law to that effect. Think the crooks won't go to another state to get the 30 round clips? And they are semi-automatics.

overflowed

New York is now limiting clips to 7 bullets, or are trying to pass a law to that effect. Think the crooks won't go to another state to get the 30 round clips? And they are semi-automatics.
The laws they are going to pass or try to pass are just to placate non gun owners. They won't make any difference in the scheme of things.
Just like the last ban. Still pisses me off though.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Adam Lanza's mom wasn't a crook. Nor was James Holmes until he decided to do what he did. All of them were law-abiding citizens without criminal records. The crooks will always get their equipment, but what about the wannabes? Why do you Righties love your guns so much anyway? If you had a bazooka, would you be more "free"?

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Adam Lanza's mom wasn't a crook. Nor was James Holmes until he decided to do what he did. All of them were law-abiding citizens without criminal records. The crooks will always get their equipment, but what about the wannabes? Why do you Righties love your guns so much anyway? If you had a bazooka, would you be more "free"?[/QUOTE]

We just do....especially here. I live too far from town to not have a firearm in my possession. When there was a fire near me, it took the fire department 20 minutes to respond, when we had to call the sheriff to come out over a domestic dispute near us, that took 18 minutes. My guns can prove the difference between life and death here, plus I have coyotes and bobcats that like to hunt my pets, which in turn creates a bad situation for my family when the animals aren't afraid to come near the house. Granted I don't need a 30 round magazine, but it's nice to have to reload every time I use it for a few rounds fired.