Sometimes they actually get it right

oldngray

nowhere special
I remember when UPS would take into consideration its Halloween and try to get drivers in before the kids were out, but that ended when everything became nothing but numbers in a computer (more so than before that is).

Overpaid Union Thug

Didn't see one trick or treater on Halloween and I was clocked out before 5:45. Last night however.....they filled the streets and I cocked out after 7:00. I usually put a little extra effort into my work on Halloween to avoid this but sometimes I still end up dodging trick or treaters in the dark. The worst was my second peak as a driver when I ended up behind a hay ride on a long and narrow winding road. UGGHHH!

over9five

Staff member
Didn't see one trick or treater on Halloween and I was clocked out before 5:45. Last night however.....they filled the streets and I cocked out after 7:00. I usually put a little extra effort into my work on Halloween to avoid this but sometimes I still end up dodging trick or treaters in the dark. The worst was my second peak as a driver when I ended up behind a hay ride on a long and narrow winding road. UGGHHH!
TMI, dude.

"Stand back! Coming thru!!"

If it works that way walking through crowds maybe if we paint the fleet like giant penis' it will work that way with road traffic. If I.E. Thought the no left turns was a good idea then they'll go bonkers over that one!

Ill submit it in your name, Ovah.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
In our PCM Thursday, we got the big safety speech about being careful because of the earlier traffic rush hour due to people leaving work early to be with their kids so they could go trick or treating. They cut routes so I had add/cuts off of both my neighboring routes. Profits first, safety and employee morale second.

Notretiredyet

We had the same thing, routes cut and worked late. Our division was rewarded by this with a hit pedestrian Thursday nite. They'll never learn.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Same here. Punched out at 2100 and there were 5 or 6 drivers still out. Nothing like creeping down kid clogged streets at 5 mph dragging the brakes... Just in case.

It probably helped us that our Center Manager is a working mom with two young children who would themselves be out trick or treating in the same neighborhood that our center delivers to. I would imangine that having young children tends to change one's perspective on the issue.

soberups

Maybe in the interest of it's members the Union could address Halloween in the contract.

Maybe in the interests of public safety, the Company could address Halloween to its management people in the form of an absolute requirement that routes be brought in early, regardless of how it might negatively affect the Stops Per Car metric for one freaking day.

soberups

We did have one older driver help out one of our younger ones. They both deliver in the same town and the older guy helped out by taking some residentials and picking up the UPS Store so that they younger guy could get done early to spend time with his kids.

My route is mostly rural, with little to no chance of an accidental encounter with a trick or treater. One of the reasons I typically work late on Halloween is because I usually wind up taking in-town residential stops off of adjacent routes and running them off early in the day. These routes are run by younger drivers with school age kids; my kids are adults now so its really not a hardship for me to be out late on Halloween as long as I'm up in the hills where its safe. It was a pleasant surprise for me this year to get home in time to help my wife hand out candy and enjoy the holiday for a change.