Sonia Sotomayor

over9five

Staff member
I'm not judging the woman on ONE statement.

AND, she seems to be tough on crime. Seems to side with police/DAs most of the time. I like that.

Mr Obama could have picked someone A LOT more liberal.

M

Meliorate

I'm not judging the woman on ONE statement.

AND, she seems to be tough on crime. Seems to side with police/DAs most of the time. I like that.

Mr Obama could have picked someone A LOT more liberal.
You're right, it could have been Cynthia McKenney.

Last edited by a moderator:

diesel96

Broken ankle an all, you gotta be impressed, she still made her meetings........Not bad for a rascist, uninteligent Hispanic Chick Lady:wink2:

wkmac

Dissenting Justice has an interesting article that compares Sotomayer's "race related" comments to those made by other judges on the High Court bench.

Another happening of interest of recent days is the annoucement from the office of Texas Republican Senator John Cornyn that George Washington Law Professor Orin Kerr (a regular blogger on the libertarian/conservative website Volokh Conspiracy) with be Sen. Cornyn Special Counsel on the Sotomayer confirmation process. On June 5th, Kerr posted this at the VC website.

[Orin Kerr, June 5, 2009 at 4:28pm]
Blogging Break: Today's arrival of John Elwood at the blog happens to coincide with my departure: I have accepted a position as Special Counsel for Supreme Court Nominations for Senator John Cornyn for the duration of the Sotomayor nomination. The job starts on Monday, so I will be taking a break from blogging during the next few months. I might have a post or two up later today or over the weekend about unrelated matters, but I'll be offblog after that.

What makes this all of interest is that Kerr has been (for lack of better words) an advocate for Sotomayer and has posted some interesting thoughts on her actual record concerning her as it pertains to libertarian/conservative values at VC.

Now Kerr has also defended Janet Reno for whom he worked in the late 1990's (surely a bad mark in red-state circles) and Justice Souter of whom he observed as a law clerk for Justice Kennedy but IMO the most stinging indictment of Kerr came in Nov./08' from the keyboard of Glenn Greenwald at Salon. Kerr's education in engineering (holds MS in mechanical engineering before getting his law degree) placed Kerr early on in the computer field where he is now seen as an expert relating to 4th amendment issues concerning computers and the internet. I happen to see Glenn along with the likes of Jonathan Turley more the experts in relation to the 4th amendment. My point here is, Kerr's defense of Sotomayer should initally raise alarm bells but defaulting to Greenwald (I do so because of his nearly airtight record of defending these principles even in cases I'm sure he doesn't want too), in the case of many of these 4th amendment issues, Sotomayer doesn't seem to register any real alarms at this point.

Let's be honest, she's not really all that much different than the justice she will replace on the court and both sides you might say are spinning the story. Republicans are the more obvious but many democrats are sitting back quitely allowing the republican circus to implicate therefore that Sotomayer must be on opposite ends of the universe from where republicans stand. It may be the MSM (mainstreet media) just gassing the flames to jack up what are already low ratings (those that took the red pill, every larger numbers by the day, flock to the alternative media)but IMO blue staters (especially the party leadership) have done little (again IMO) to dissuade the image of Sotomayer being extreme other than to name call the republicans.

I can only conclude the democrats are defaulting the same con job their opposite isle counterparts used in letting the democrats tell the public that their nominees would end abortion, have school children tooting guns and their fathers and mothers would drive tanks to work and carry M-60's out on date night, etc. when in fact with 7 of the 9 justices were republican and none of that ever got close even when republicans controlled all 3 branches of gov't. Republicans let the democrats sell the BS spin to the mindless red staters in order to froth the base so they'd look no further at how they were really getting screwed and IMO the rolls are just reversed now. The democrat base will believe Sotomayer is the archangel Gabriel (since Obama is either Messiah or Michael I had to pick another:happy-very:) without the democrats ever having to utter a word other than to condemn republicans. Sotomayer is here to defeat the demonic forces of Satan. But then so were all the other judges too so there you go!

Now while all are watching the main event on Saturday night wrestling (otherwise called Washington DC) it's obvious with Kerr becoming a corner man for a Texas "REPUBLICAN" Senator that Sotomayer unless it's discovered she slept with Dick Cheney or something is going to be the next SCOTUS associate justice. What even makes this more delightful is that Bush 1 nominated Sotomayer initally to the federal bench in a scheme to attract hispanic and women voters and then Clinton pulled a card switch when he put her on the appeals bench. Now the democrats via Obama have taken the best 2 out of 3 falls by placing her on the high court which is what bothsides had in mind from the beginning but as to who would position themselves for the purely political move was up in the air. Give the USA title belt to the democrats and watch them do their best Ric Flair WOOOOOOO! I guess we can expect some "riding Space Mountain" talk too!
:happy-very:

After all the talk is over and done, I've not seen much change in any direction other than to maintain the status quo when it comes to the high court so IMO, this is all just more wine and circus from the flim/flam artists known by the title of US gov't.

What will be interesting IMO to watch is how Sotomayer answers to any question (if they have the ballz to open that can of worms) concerning her college senior paper supporting the right of Puerto Rican independence. What makes this a bit of eye candy is the implication that if Puerto Rico has the right of succession, then so does :surprised:

As they say on the commerical selling Smiling Bob's favorite pill:

"This could be fun!"
:wink2:

Come to think of it, she can sleep with Cheney and win points among blue staters as long as she was on top!
:happy-very:

I saw where I think Gingrich implied Sotomayer's foot injury was fake? Interesting to say the least and I'd not put either side past pulling a stunt like this but IMO Gingrich is just coming across looking more and more like this.

612-0522steele.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.91.jpg

diesel96

Leave it to Rush Limbaugh, the golden voice of radio, to liken the president's nominee for the Supreme Court and her professional friends to a bunch of housemaids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJa1O4bNNUk&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eswamppolitics%2Ecom%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Fblog%2F2009%2F06%2Frush%5Flimbaugh%5Fsotomayors%5Fvacuu%2Ehtml&feature=player_embedded

Apparently when Rush sees a latina, all he can think of is "cleaning lady". That's really sad. Why does anyone listen to that pathetic little man?

Come to think of it, wasn't "The Supreme Court" an all white mens clubs for nearly two hundred years..

http://mediamatters.org/blog/200906110007

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/16/us/politics/16judge.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jun/17/sotomayor-scrutinized-for-ties-to-womens-club/

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
All I know is if I am hiring I want the best person for the job. Bottom line, is she the best person? Pat chimes in:

Miss Affirmative Action, 2009

[FONT=Palatino,]By Patrick J. Buchanan[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]Having lost the Congress in 2006 and the White House in 2008, Republicans are looking to redefine themselves for a nation that still leans conservative but is less Republican that it has been in decades.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]The nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the U.S. Supreme Court presents just such an opportunity. For, even if the party loses the battle and Sotomayor sits on the court, it can win the war, as Ronald Reagan won the Panama Canal debate, even as Senate Republicans committed collective suicide by voting to give away the canal.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]What are the grounds for rejecting Sonia Sotomayor?[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]No one has brought forth the slightest evidence she has the intellectual candlepower to sit on the Roberts court. By her own admission, Sotomayor is an "affirmative action baby."[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]Though the Obama media have been ballyhooing her brilliance – No. 1 in high school, No. 1 at Princeton, editor of Yale Law Review – her academic career appears to have been a fraud from beginning to end, a testament to Ivy League corruption.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]Two weeks ago, the New York Times reported that, to get up to speed on her English skills at Princeton, Sotomayor was advised to read children's classics and study basic grammar books during her summers. How do you graduate first in your class at Princeton if your summer reading consists of "Chicken Little" and "The Troll Under the Bridge"? [/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]In video clips dating back 25 years, and now provided to the Senate Judiciary Committee, Sotomayor, according to the Times, even calls herself an "affirmative action product."[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]"The clips include lengthy remarks about her experiences as an 'affirmative action baby,' whose lower test scores were overlooked by admissions committees at Princeton University and Yale Law School because, she said, she is Hispanic and had grown up in poor circumstance."[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]"If we had gone through the traditional numbers route of those institutions," says Sotomayor, "it would have been highly questionable if I would have been accepted. ... My test scores were not comparable to that of my classmates."[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]Thus, Sotomayor got into Princeton, got her No. 1 ranking, was whisked into Yale Law School and made editor of the Yale Law Review – all because she was a Hispanic woman. And those two Ivy League institutions cheated more deserving students of what they had worked a lifetime to achieve, for reasons of race, gender or ethnicity.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]This is bigotry pure and simple. To salve their consciences for past societal sins, the Ivy League is deep into discrimination again, this time with white males as victims rather than as beneficiaries. [/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]One prefers the old bigotry. At least it was honest and not, as Abraham Lincoln observed, adulterated "with the base alloy of hypocrisy."[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]As the Times reports, on the tapes, Sotomayor rejects "the proposition that minorities must become advocates of 'selection by merit alone.' She said diversity improved the legal system."[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]"'Since I have difficultly defining merit and what merit alone means, and ... whether it's judicial or otherwise, I accept that different experiences, in and of itself, bring merit to the system,' she said, adding, 'I think it brings to the system more of a sense of fairness when these litigants see people like myself on the bench.'"[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]What does the latest Times revelation tell us?[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]That were it not for Ivy League dishonesty, Sotomayor would not have gotten into Princeton, would never have been ranked first in her class, would not have gotten into Yale Law, nor been named editor of Yale Law Review, and thus would not be a U.S. appellate court judge today or a nominee to the Supreme Court.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]Indeed, the White House itself leaked that the final four court candidates were all women and Sotomayor was picked because she was a Latina. One wonders how many superior students and judges have been passed over to advance Sonia Sotomayor's career?[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]From college days to court days, that career reflects, in word and deed, a determination to use any power she achieves to create a society where the demands of diversity triumph over the ideal of equal justice under law. For Sotomayor, the advancement of people of color over white males is justice.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]Republican senators should use this Sotomayor nomination to put affirmative action in the dock for what it is – race-based bigotry against white males so that persons of color can receive the rewards of society that they could not win in free and fair competition.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]Lay out the Sotomayor record – SAT scores, LSAT scores, bar exam score, law review articles and her opinions – so that we can see up close what those who eviscerated Robert Bork regard as academic and judicial excellence.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]No need for name-calling.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino,]Just lay out the lady's opinions and record, so that, if she is elevated, Americans can say: Barack Obama voted against Chief Justice Roberts because Roberts could not measure up to Sonia Sotomayor, his ideal of what a justice ought to be.[/FONT]

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.printable&pageId=100835

diesel96

I raised my nephew since the age of 13....good ahtlete, great student...earn a partial baseball scholarship at a local college, after 2 years he drop baseball to focus exclusively on his legal studies an excelled another 2 years gallantly thru graduation .....Accepted to Villanova Grad school program and excelled there as well to achieve Summa *** Laude Honor status as well as Editor in Chief to The Villanova Law Review. Your are not "made" Editor in Chief, that title is EARNED. I take exception to the position and unsubstantiated charges Buchanon and yourself insinuate that affirmative action and our Acadamic Institutions conspire and are the driving forces that springboard minorities or any student what so ever to the top of their classes because of their ethnicity....Thats perposterous.....It may help a student to enroll, but the rest is up to the indivdual, however far they want to take it.... IMO, this piece is pretty offensive..

And personally Buchanon is writing this piece for the same web site bent on removing Obama from office...The World Daily Network, home of the Obama "birthers", the wack jobs that still believe Obama's birth Cert is a fake.......

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Shrug, seems to me that Pat got at least some of his information (as he quotes) from that bastion of conservative thought (<--sarcasm, folks), the NY Times.

I don't find it hard to believe that people are pushed up ladders all the time based on who they are, not climbed up those ladders on what they have truly accomplished.

Especially in this ridiculously politically correct nation we find ourselves in.