Sort Test / 6 Month Minimum?

Is it true that after passing the Sort Test, you have to Sort (not Load) for a minimum of 6 months before your $1 raise becomes permanent? Or is this only the case for specific locations?

I'm having a heck of a time finding this anywhere in the Contract/Supplements ...

(And Yes, I tried multiple search terms--no dice)

UPSGUY72

Is it true that after passing the Sort Test, you have to Sort (not Load) for a minimum of 6 months before your $1 raise becomes permanent? Or is this only the case for specific locations?

I'm having a heck of a time finding this anywhere in the Contract/Supplements ...

You need to get a physical copy of the contract with your local supplement and read it. Different building have different rules on who is a skilled or none skilled worker. Asking that question here is going to get you 10 different anwsers.

evilleace

Could be different where you are but here you get the skilled pay right away after 30 days the raise becomes permanent if they force you to work a non-skilled job.

^^ Thank you for that. That sounds like a no-nonsense approach. If you take the time out to learn the splits, you get the raise whether or not there are open positions. It's only fair. Skilled workers are skilled workers, even if being used in an "Unskilled" way. If I can unload trucks all day and still get my Skill pay, I don't see why others can only make skill pay for the hour or two they spend picking off, and not the other hour or two they spend loading.

You need to get a physical copy of the contract with your local supplement and read it. Different building have different rules on who is a skilled or none skilled worker. Asking that question here is going to get you 10 different anwsers.

So I can interpret this as you saying that the NMA does not cover such a Skilled vs Unskilled distinction, and the information can only be found in either the Supplemental, Rider, or both?

FYI, this question is not about me, it is about my coworkers. I already have Skilled pay. But i believe it is unfair that this change was recently implemented, denying them a chance to earn the same extra pay that has been offered to our sort for years and years.

On the first day of work, during Orientation, our HR personnel did not say anything about "After 6 months of working in a skilled position, your $1 raise becomes permanent". They said "Pass the test and you get a $1 raise"......period. I just want to know what changed.

I will obtain the necessary documents, review them, and let you know what i find. Thank you for your time.

SoyFish

I've heard that 'round here that supposedly it's 1 week of sorting & you get the xtra $1...I'd love to take the test just for the extra $1...but I don't wanna sort...loading is where the fun's at <_<

360waves

At my hub hardly anyone took the time to pass the test, we just learned the splits and filled in until our spots became permanent..we kept two pay rates, one for when we sorted and one for when we unloaded...then one day all of a sudden all of us got the sort rate as part of our regular pay..whether we had passed the test or not...

Strange.....the word "Skill" is not found in either the Supplement or Rider, and the word "Skill" appears in a completely different context under the NDA. Hmmm.....sounds like we're either in never-never land, or someone is terrible at making searchable PDFs.

When I have more time and energy, I'll look into this (and thoroughly scan both documents for the appropriate language). Most of the affected employees in my sort just got a 37 cent raise, so they should be fine for now without that extra buck.

brownrod

I took the sort test 2 weeks after being hired. I got the extra 1$ per hour despite spending most of my time loading. It think this issue is probably handled differently everywhere.