Sorter and Saturday Airs??

I just started with UPS as a Seasonal Driver this season, I have been filling in as a temp since peak. I was told by a Sup that he was going to get me a partime job as a sorter, and a saturday air driver. I felt stupid asking exactly what a sorter and doing Sat airs. Thanks for any info!!

If you have been driving since the new year shouldn't you be on your way to qualifying as a ft driver?
There is no current openings as a FT driver, I was told this will keep me in line for future openings. I have no issues working part time as a sorter and doing Sat air runs, as it well help me drive FT one day. They are currently using me a temp when drivers are on vacation!!

Notcool

What I don't understand is why seasonal drivers are hired off the street and some made ft when part timers like me in the building for many years don't get the jobs?

What I don't understand is why seasonal drivers are hired off the street and some made ft when part timers like me in the building for many years don't get the jobs?
I can understand where you are coming from, I was only hired as driver doing peak season, as it came near to the end I was asked if I wanted to continue to work with UPS part time and a saturday air driver. I have no problem getting in the back of the line working part time, to get the opportunity to drive FT one day.. However if they offer me a ft job I'm certainly going to jump on it. I hope you start driving real soon!!

thessalonian13

I just started with UPS as a Seasonal Driver this season, I have been filling in as a temp since peak. I was told by a Sup that he was going to get me a partime job as a sorter, and a saturday air driver. I felt stupid asking exactly what a sorter and doing Sat airs. Thanks for any info!!
TALK TO YOUR SHOP STEWARD!!!!!!!!! If you are filling in for drivers on vacations, those weeks may count towards you making your book. All you need is 30 days. Make your book, and then you are guaranteed 40 hours, whether as a driver or inside work. Even better, you would start earning credit towards your full-time pension. AGAIN, TALK TO YOUR SHOP STEWARD!!!!!!!!!!!

NYdriver

I don't care what anyone says, you have a better chance getting in FT if you were hired off the street as a seasonal driver.

Reason being:

The Sup's see how you work. Simple as that. IF these trainees are running their routes off, working through lunch, averaging 50 stops an hour; a sup will pull whatever strings he can to book that driver. In a sup's eye, this is an IDEAL worker opposed to the guy working inside that may not even be able to back a truck up.

By no means am i knocking anyone who works inside, it's a foot in the door and you will drive "eventually".

My above statement just reflects what i have seen the 9 yrs i have been with UPS.

Dnking

FireFalcon
I can understand where you are coming from, I was only hired as driver doing peak season, as it came near to the end I was asked if I wanted to continue to work with UPS part time and a saturday air driver. I have no problem getting in the back of the line working part time, to get the opportunity to drive FT one day.. However if they offer me a ft job I'm certainly going to jump on it. I hope you start driving real soon!!

Full-time jobs at Ups are based on seniority. Unless its time for them to hire from the outside. Ups hires 6 inside employees, before they hire 1 off the street, or from the outside. So if you want to work part-time as a sorter, and drive Sat air, thats great. But your seniority will be behind all the other part-timers that are already working in your building. Whats good, about Seasonal is that you have experience out driving. But when a full-time job becomes available, it goes to the most senior, qualified, part-time employee. So dont worry SaltsareFunny..

menotyou

bella amicizia
Remember, the 6-1 is something they can do. It doesn't mean they will. We have had 8 drivers go Ft since the last outside hire. Just spoke with my center manager yesterday and I brought it up. His preference is to hire insiders.