Sorters? Wax?

Notcool

Hey, to the sorters out there. What do you use to keep the shoots/slides slick so the packages just zip down. I don't know how other building are set up but ours is old with metal shoots. Where the loads separate. There is a metal flat piece right before the slides. I sort on a belt with 5 different load. We have wax in a spray bottle that is mixed with water and is crap. I have tried wd40 but its to expensive to use all the time. Anybody out there find something that works good. Half way through the night the boxes get harder to push as the slides get the spray wax off. It causes to get tired quicker/ fall-ins, belt turning off. Anyway thanks!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Best to let management worry about that. We get paid by the hour whether the stuff flows or not.

Back in the day, overgood bottles of furniture polish were hidden everywhere to be used as wax. Worked great!

Nostromo

I see my sup use wax in a spray bottle that smells like pine sol. Past few days we've been using wd40 but that :censored2:s been goin gone.

Sent using Morse code

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hey, to the sorters out there. What do you use to keep the shoots/slides slick so the packages just zip down. I don't know how other building are set up but ours is old with metal shoots. Where the loads separate. There is a metal flat piece right before the slides. I sort on a belt with 5 different load. We have wax in a spray bottle that is mixed with water and is crap. I have tried wd40 but its to expensive to use all the time. Anybody out there find something that works good. Half way through the night the boxes get harder to push as the slides get the spray wax off. It causes to get tired quicker/ fall-ins, belt turning off. Anyway thanks!
Slide wax....opaque white/lavender stuff diluted with water. Do not use non ups approved lube on the slides or belts...we had a guy suspended for that. He was using some kind of oil based lube he brought in from his mechanic shop. A loader climbed up to break a jam....slipped on the oily metal chute and cracked his head open...don't be stupid, someone could get hurt.

Notcool

Slide wax....opaque white/lavender stuff diluted with water. Do not use non ups approved lube on the slides or belts...we had a guy suspended for that. He was using some kind of oil based lube he brought in from his mechanic shop. A loader climbed up to break a jam....slipped on the oily metal chute and cracked his head open...don't be stupid, someone could get hurt.
oh wow didnt even think about that. Ok guess i will leave it alone and just deal with the shoulder workout lol

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
At break time or any other time nothing is going on reapply the wax. Make sure it has time to dry.

browntroll

i rarely get wax and my rollers really suck, when i see ppl go to my pickoff they get pissed off within 5 minutes from dealing with my slide
and rollers. i start laughing when its a rookie and they throw a little fit or stand on the slide to break a jam. i used wax only once in the past month
i got lucky when i saw another pter with wax and asked him for a little bit. incase ur wondering my sup and i dont get along so he gives everyone else
wax except for me, i only see him with a wax bottle going to other sorters and coming back empty handed.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
I have the same problem long metal silde i hide a wax bottle in my area and spray before the start of the sort and spray again at break if things start to stick. Good luck.

UPS4Life

The white wax bottles always worked great just spray the slides at the beginning and you may need to add a little more towards the end but other than what ups gives you I wouldn't waste your own money and like someone else said if it's not ups approved and someone gets hurt it'll be your ass

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Every building is supposed to have wax concentrate that they dillute with water and put in a spray bottle. If for some odd reason they don't have any, ask the center manager to order some. The concentrate ups uses is essentially Pledge (the furniture polish).

A couple of points based on what I've read in this thread:
Hourlies shouldn't be up walking on metal chutes anyway. Yes, it is done everyday and when I worked inside picking off 30 feet above the concrete below, I often found myself jumping up and down on packages inside a spiral chute because there was no other way to get to the packages. If you can't reach a jam in a metal chute with a hook, you shouldn't be up walking on the chute because there is no safe way to do it. You're taking a risk walking on slippery slanted metal, usually high off the ground.

Next thought: If you're a sorter/pick off, aside from the sort aisle, how hard you work and how well your night goes often depends on wax. You often have to push harder for the same result without wax. That being said while we should give the company nothing, it's understandable that people would consider spending their own money on a can of pledge to cut down on the strain on their body. I considered it when I was a pickoff but never actually spent any of my own money. I did however bitch and moan when I ran out of wax until I got some. Squeaky wheel...

Nostromo

I got a couple of rolls of tape stashed in my drivers' supply boxes.....I don't load open packages.

I learned that the hard way during my 3rd week on the job. Had a chair open up at its destination or hub and was charged for a damage. Now I'm taping boxes up or just load them if there not to messed up. Damn single taped "heavy" Amazon boxes :P

Sent using Morse code