South carrying the North?

Are you kidding me? I`m not going there, I got most of my Canada bashing post`s deleted a few day`s ago!

Yea by the way I was wondering about that. They must have deleted my post to. I didn't think I said anything too bad I like Klein. I just with he would do all his posting on McDonalds cafe.

wkmac

They only rub the nice weather in for a couple of months during the winter. You never hear anything about it during the summer when its 100 degrees and humid down there. (we have just as many "southern" tourists up here in the summer as you have "snow birds" down there in the winter. Just as we stand out like a sore tumb at the beach when we are down there in January so do they stand out like a sore tumb up here in July with their cut off bibs driving a $40,000 pickup pulling a 200 dollar boat with a 1950's 10 horsepower motor on it.

That's exactly why I never say a word on this issue. Each action has an equal re-action kind of thingy!

The Floridians are loving life right now but go visit them about July and then venture in off the coast about 2 miles and try and stand outside. For a similar effect, turn your oven on 600, place pot of water inside and when the temp light goes off, crawl inside. That's southern summers!

We use to have a saying in the south, "too cold, wait 5 days and it'll be 60 again" but this winter is defying the odds. In 79' I worked from Jan. to April in Indy and I came away with great respect for the folks in the north. Loved the folks in Indy. Awesome people all the way around!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was born and raised in Ohio on the shores of Lake Erie and that is why I was smart enough to move to Florida when I was 19 years old. I NEVER would consider being a UPS driver where I grew up due to the climate! :sick:

Smart man, so yes you can carry us!

Just_another_day_at_work

I`m reading post`s about the snow and ice and drivers being sent home if they choose because of the weather and day`s up north where driver`s are only able to deliver 5 stop`s per hour etc........are we in the south with SPORH of 18 - 24 carrying the rest of the company? :disgusted:
The day after we closed the hub I had over 30 SPORH. Made 90 clicks of bonus. Ohh I forgot had 100 stops sheeted as EC. :)

rod

Retired 22 years
Man - you can't even get a good North vs. South fight going anymore. Whats this world coming to?

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Not that I'm bragging but drivers that do this job in all four seasons are the most complete driver. If you had to deliver in the snow you might poop your pants. Up here in Ohio we have 95 degree days with 100% humidity. We also have that day when it's six degrees and the windchill is minus thirty. Just imagine peak with your normal work load and it's nineteen degrees and you just got a foot of snow.

You have the ideal job climate for this job. Wearing shorts all year around would be like a dream. I have a long john suite on and a coat big ass boots stocking hat and on the icey days cleats. It's kind of a pain in the ass.

I have nothing but respect for all that have to work in extreme weather year in year out (summer and winter). I don't know how you all do it--I guess its what you are used to. I doubt I would still be a package driver if I had to endure extreme elements over and over again. I find it a pain just wearing a bomber jacket in the morning:wink2:

One of my worst experiences as a utility(cover) driver was coming to work dressed for a 70 degree desert route and being put on a 20 degree mountain route.
Nothing increases SPOHR in the snow like no jacket and a pair of shorts:surprised:.
It wasn't too bad except when I hit some black ice going up a hill and slid back down into a ditch when I lost my upward momentum. I had to get myself out with no chains or grit...
Not being experienced in snow driving didn't help much either, it was always stressful when snow would start to fall - trying to judge whether it was going to "stick" and I would have to head in, or if I should continue about my day.

The desert during our monsoon season is no picnic either, but much more bearable for me than snow driving..

Its interesting to note that the mountain driver always seemed to avoid snow days and the desert driver always avoided the 110/100% days,,,nothing like having seniority. I am glad my utility days are over--I have not had to deal with anything other than occasional rain showers for over 15 years now..:happy-very:

Not to sound like a Budweiser commercial(or maybe I am):wink2::
Here's to you, Mr. extreme weather package delivery driver!:peaceful:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The day after we closed the hub I had over 30 SPORH. Made 90 clicks of bonus. Ohh I forgot had 100 stops sheeted as EC. :)

This is why the EC feature is so popular. You get credit for the stops and pieces and more importantly your mgmnt team gets credit. If these packages recieved no credit like a missed you might see more emphasis on actually trying to make service on them.

Re-Raise

This is why the EC feature is so popular. You get credit for the stops and pieces and more importantly your mgmnt team gets credit. If these packages recieved no credit like a missed you might see more emphasis on actually trying to make service on them.

I just future them all for April 1st...:happy2:

Damn I just remembered I need to take vacation that week