Southern States: No Work Today?

Rawrzxor

I work in North Texas, and my boss just sent me a text saying, 'No work today.'. >_> The roads look fine, and the forecast doesn't say the roads will be messed up or anything. It's below freezing and will be the whole night, but it's only snowing.

Anyone in the states that are getting hit with this storm also not working?

I live for Brown

I would always call to verify just in case but we missed 4 days in November from the 74" blizzard and never got any type of compensation which sux because we literally were trapped for a week and since it was end of year so no days off were left. Be safe and careful out there!! You aren't used to getting snow either, are you?

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm in Tennessee and we suffered through that last week and just got caught up yesterday. We had sups from states south of us up helping us and it was looking like the roles might be reversed for the current snow storm but no one got the call in my center.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Plenty of work at our small Texas center. Volume that was backed up in Mesquite has finally been hitting the past couple of days. Almost feels like peak.

Rawrzxor

I would always call to verify just in case but we missed 4 days in November from the 74" blizzard and never got any type of compensation which sux because we literally were trapped for a week and since it was end of year so no days off were left. Be safe and careful out there!! You aren't used to getting snow either, are you?

Not at all. Max we've gotten in my lifetime was like 2 inches of snow. At least, that I can remember. We have killer ice, sometimes, but not much snow. But really, the roads were and still are completely clear. At least, from what I can tell. And no weather reports on bad roads, so I'm like why did we miss work? My sup texted me again and said that they're having a shift on Sunday morning, instead, though, so at least we'll make it up.

I've been delivering in snow that's piled up to five feet in some parts. It sucks and I'm tired.
:\ That does suck. But, hey, at least you're making good money.

chris9834

I work in North Texas, and my boss just sent me a text saying, 'No work today.'. >_> The roads look fine, and the forecast doesn't say the roads will be messed up or anything. It's below freezing and will be the whole night, but it's only snowing.

Anyone in the states that are getting hit with this storm also not working?
Dont know what part of North Texas your in im assuming south of the big cities which didnt get hit as hard but this was the highways around here around 1400 hrs on friday.. It was worst around the North part of the metroplex. My bldg had to work, but there were certain centers getting called back to the bldg around noon and some were told to be back in by 1730 hrs. I can drive in the snow no prob im originally from up north, but the problem is the ones that havent lived up north cant drive for smile* and make it extremely dangerous for everyone on the road, that and southern states arent nearly as prepared and lack alot of the equipment and resources because its rare down here to get snow. I honestly wasnt up set about getting off early for that same reason its just not worth getting ran into by a idiot driver.

Attachments

• 1425205104784.jpg
    1425205104784.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 181

Rawrzxor

Dont know what part of North Texas your in im assuming south of the big cities which didnt get hit as hard but this was the highways around here around 1400 hrs on friday.. It was worst around the North part of the metroplex. My bldg had to work, but there were certain centers getting called back to the bldg around noon and some were told to be back in by 1730 hrs. I can drive in the snow no prob im originally from up north, but the problem is the ones that havent lived up north cant drive for smile* and make it extremely dangerous for everyone on the road, that and southern states arent nearly as prepared and lack alot of the equipment and resources because its rare down here to get snow. I honestly wasnt up set about getting off early for that same reason its just not worth getting ran into by a idiot driver.

You should see Texas drivers in just the rain. It was sprinkling today, and traffic was ground to a halt. Like, seriously bad traffic. Horrendous beyond horrendous traffic. From barely sprinkling rain. We've got that perfect mix of stupid :censored2:s who slow down to 10 mph, because there's such pretty, distracting water droplets on their windshield; then, we've got the other half that are quick to blood boiling, especially when behind the aforementioned type, and in their pissary, they begin driving violently and impulsively.

I stayed home. We missed two days last week. That's going to hurt my bank account, but the value of free days off is priceless, imo.

I have like 2 years experience driving on ice, but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to. Really, considering Texan's ability to drive in anything but perfectly shining weather, I'd advocate taking every day it rains off, too.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
We had freezing rain yesterday. That is the worst. Word those stupid cleats all day and still had trouble hiking up drives. Today the temps are supposed to drop which will freeze what little has melted. Any swing driver want to run my route today?

clean hairy

Part of the problem with driving in ice in Texas is thy only put sand on the roads.
They don't use salt, everyone is too worried their cars will rust away from using salt 2 or 3 times a year.

chris9834

You should see Texas drivers in just the rain. It was sprinkling today, and traffic was ground to a halt. Like, seriously bad traffic. Horrendous beyond horrendous traffic. From barely sprinkling rain. We've got that perfect mix of stupid :censored2:s who slow down to 10 mph, because there's such pretty, distracting water droplets on their windshield; then, we've got the other half that are quick to blood boiling, especially when behind the aforementioned type, and in their pissary, they begin driving violently and impulsively.

I stayed home. We missed two days last week. That's going to hurt my bank account, but the value of free days off is priceless, imo.

I have like 2 years experience driving on ice, but I'd prefer not to if I don't have to. Really, considering Texan's ability to drive in anything but perfectly shining weather, I'd advocate taking every day it rains off, too.
Heck even in perfect conditions these folks drive like h*** but yes I fully agree with you. My biggest pet peeve is people causing a 2 mile back up just to slow down to damn near a stop to look at a fender bender with police on scene on the other side of the highway lol.

chris9834

Part of the problem with driving in ice in Texas is thy only put sand on the roads.
They don't use salt, everyone is too worried their cars will rust away from using salt 2 or 3 times a year.
Yeah there starting to do some sort of salt treatment on roads in Texas only on bridges. Tbh I like the days off over it because it hardly snows or ices down here maybe 5 days total a year last year not 1 day. But salt does work but it does truly rust the hell out of cars you can definently see the difference in the conditions of a Northern vs a Southern classic muscle car because of the different ice practices. I wouldnt by a old school from up north unless it was a weekend garage kept car.