Southern Supplement Changes (Eventually)

Overpaid Union Thug

The driver of cut bid route can only bump lower seniority unassigned drivers. He can not bump a bid driver off his route.

I was only referring to the bids that will take place from the new language. As split routes are cut the people that had had bid on them will be bumping down. And in that case we are right back where we started.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think that they will be bidding on split routes----they will most likely be bidding on FT bid cover positions, which means that they will be unassigned and guaranteed to work every day.

upschuck

Were your training areas not a bid route? Sounds like those routes will be bid now, and that the driver with that bid will work, but on a different area, when people are training. "Training Area" on all future bids will be designated as such on the bid or it is not a training area.

That is what we've been doing in central for as long as I've been there. It works pretty well, just have to worry about them using just one of the training areas, and not rotating between all of them.

Overpaid Union Thug

Were your training areas not a bid route? Sounds like those routes will be bid now, and that the driver with that bid will work, but on a different area, when people are training. "Training Area" on all future bids will be designated as such on the bid or it is not a training area.

That is what we've been doing in central for as long as I've been there. It works pretty well, just have to worry about them using just one of the training areas, and not rotating between all of them.

Ok so explain to me how your center does this. Do unassigned drivers chose routes on a day by day basis or do they bid on a weekly run?

upschuck

Ok so explain to me how your center does this. Do unassigned drivers chose routes on a day by day basis or do they bid on a weekly run?
Unassigned drivers go on the runs that they know, assigned by the sups day by day(but they try to keep them on the same all week), and at times they switch between themselves if both agree. Sups don't really care who runs what, and happy if no runs are sitting after everyone is gone. If driver doesn't know any open routes, they usually go home, but can run a route blind, it is their choice. We have two bids that are "Coverage bid", and those two inform the sup on fri the routes that they want to run the next week, and that route is considered their bid route. Since these two have a bid then they work before anyone who has more seniority that does not have a bid, I believe.

Your supplement sounds as if it will be done on a seniority based, and changes need to be done with steward present. I would guess that unassigned driver would be treated as my "Coverage Bid" driver is.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you read the current language unassigned bid routes can have a bid driver on them, but are essentially "(swing drivers : FT non bid drivers)" as management can move them as they see fit, even for training or coverage issues. The reason, at least in our center, why these drivers tend to not get moved is they are generally the highest seniority swing drivers. Bumping them upsets the Yen and Yang and generally isn't worth it. The new language is meant to prevent them moving them for any reason, just for "training for 30" days. The is also meant to cut down on the 15% to 10% unassigned route fiasco that goes on, there's no reason to have that many routes unassigned besides the fact management can toss whoever they want on them.

Short version

The part where "Package car drivers not assigned bid routes cover for vacations, sick days ect is the reasoning behind this change. Before, those drivers that "bid" unassigned routes" counted towards this, in the next contract, they don't.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

Unassigned drivers go on the runs that they know, assigned by the sups day by day(but they try to keep them on the same all week), and at times they switch between themselves if both agree. Sups don't really care who runs what, and happy if no runs are sitting after everyone is gone. If driver doesn't know any open routes, they usually go home, but can run a route blind, it is their choice. We have two bids that are "Coverage bid", and those two inform the sup on fri the routes that they want to run the next week, and that route is considered their bid route. Since these two have a bid then they work before anyone who has more seniority that does not have a bid, I believe.

Your supplement sounds as if it will be done on a seniority based, and changes need to be done with steward present. I would guess that unassigned driver would be treated as my "Coverage Bid" driver is.

Assigned by the sups? Screw that. What about seniority? Occasionally management here will coddle a newer driver that doesn't know a route and violate the seniority of another driver to let the less senior driver run the route they know. This happens among veteran drivers too sometimes but in either case if a grievance is filed the grievance is won by the driver.

If you read the current language unassigned bid routes can have a bid driver on them, but are essentially "(swing drivers : FT non bid drivers)" as management can move them as they see fit, even for training or coverage issues. The reason, at least in our center, why these drivers tend to not get moved is they are generally the highest seniority swing drivers. Bumping them upsets the Yen and Yang and generally isn't worth it. The new language is meant to prevent them moving them for any reason, just for "training for 30" days. The is also meant to cut down on the 15% to 10% unassigned route fiasco that goes on, there's no reason to have that many routes unassigned besides the fact management can toss whoever they want on them.

Short version

The part where "Package car drivers not assigned bid routes cover for vacations, sick days ect is the reasoning behind this change. Before, those drivers that "bid" unassigned routes" counted towards this, in the next contract, they don't.

Our way seems more simple. Here unassigned drivers and TCDs select from open routes (including bid routes open because of calls ins) by seniority on a daily basis. If a bid driver is on vacation there might be five different unassigned drivers on that route during the week. Are you thinking that our split routes that aren't classified as a training route are going to be bid as weekly bids?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Our way seems more simple. Here unassigned drivers and TCDs select from open routes (including bid routes open because of calls ins) by seniority on a daily basis. If a bid driver is on vacation there might be five different unassigned drivers on that route during the week. Are you thinking that our split routes that aren't classified as a training route are going to be bid as weekly bids?

No, the split routes they put in (generally on Wendsday and either side of that day depending on volume) will still be daily bids to run. The unassigned routes that are currently in all week are part of that current 15% that they can essentially toss whoever they want on them for vacation, call ins, ect are the ones I'm talking about that will benifit from this new language.

Overpaid Union Thug

No, the split routes they put in (generally on Wendsday and either side of that day depending on volume) will still be daily bids to run. The unassigned routes that are currently in all week are part of that current 15% that they can essentially toss whoever they want on them for vacation, call ins, ect are the ones I'm talking about that will benifit from this new language.

That could be good but I don't see how they can violate seniority by just tossing whoever they want on them. Especially with people like me in the center that won't hesitate to file (and win) and monetary grievance. :)