SPC Good or bad?

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
How has "stops per car" affected your day to day delivering? Has your dispatch increased/decreased? Are your add/cut amounts up?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It's legitmate. You just opened a can of worms.

I really doubt that anyone will tell you that their dispatch decreased.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
It's legitmate. You just opened a can of worms.

I really doubt that anyone will tell you that their dispatch decreased.

I'm looking for an answer "outside of the box" because I have seen different corporate initiatives affect areas differently for example some drivers love PAS/EDD while others hate it with every fiber of their being. I'm just looking for a little driver insight because I only know my opinion from the "tie" side of it.

Limper

Out For Delivery
What a more interesting discussion about stops per car is whether you thought UPS would keep it the same or lower it
with a new contract approaching.......make nice for a little while, less stops, less warning letters, friendly environment.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm looking for an answer "outside of the box" because I have seen different corporate initiatives affect areas differently for example some drivers love PAS/EDD while others hate it with every fiber of their being. I'm just looking for a little driver insight because I only know my opinion from the "tie" side of it.

Stops Per Car is a goal.

Theres nothing wrong with having a goal. There is something wrong with having a mandate, imposed from on high, that is chiseled in stone and cannot be adjusted for changing conditions.

My center had a ridiculous SPC metric shoved down its throat back in the summer of 2010 that resulted in drivers runing out of DOT hours in August and at least $70,000 in over 9.5 grievances being paid out in one year. I had pickup accounts that did not get serviced at all for days on end because we were forced to eliminate the route that was assigned to them. Two years later I am still trying to rebuild the trust that was lost when we routinely left pallets of these customers packages sitting on the dock for 2, 3 or even 4 days in a row, offering them nothing but BS excuses for why we couldnt get a truck out there. It was personally and professionally embarrassing to me and one of the most frustrating periods of time I have ever experienced in my 26 years as a driver. I believe in reality-based dispatching; all too often, SPC is nothing more than an excercise in fantasy-based dispatching.

barnyard

KTM rider
Personally, I do not get the point of a SPC number.

PAS/EDD and all the dispatch software can com reasonably close to planning an 8-9 hour day for all the routes in a given building. Why not let that software do the job???

SPC is a metric pulled completely out of someone's rear end to justify their job. When will that position be down-sized out of the company???

soberups

The other drawback to SPC is its toxic effect on management-employee relations.

Its pretty tough to have any respect for a Center Manager who has been reduced by Corporate to being little more than a puppet who generates a metric. Why even bother to call them a "manager" if they arent allowed to make a basic operational decision?

barnyard

KTM rider
Sober makes a good point.

I cannot count the number of PCMs where my center manager has said that he fought for a lower SPC for a couple of days and we are going to have to 'pay for that' for the next few days/weeks/whatever.

Total and complete BS.

We have the technology that instead of SPC, management should be basing their decisions on paid on road hours. PERIOD.

browned_out

Most if not all the quality managers are gone, once the stock went public see-ya. Now we have walking dead zombies who can only preach from the teachings of Mount Atlantis. These new managers are great with a power point presentation, and trying to beat last years United Way contributions.

soberups

99% of service failures and problems that occur at UPS on a daily basis are self-inflicted. They have nothing to do with outside factors and are the direct result of local management being forced to blindly chase a number.

99% of the problems we face on a daily basis could be solved if our local management was simply empowered to do the next right thing.

BrownArmy

Inane add/cuts happen an a daily basis in my center to meet the SPC metric.

Miles go up, overtime hours go up, service suffers, misloads increase...

Is it working yet?