SPC Good or bad?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by KBlakk, Apr 7, 2013.

1. KBlakk

KBlakk Overworked & Underpaid

How has "stops per car" affected your day to day delivering? Has your dispatch increased/decreased? Are your add/cut amounts up?
  2. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Here we go.
  3. KBlakk

Are these illegitimate questions? Or has this topic been discuss elsewhere on the site?
  4. Discussed and debated over and over.
  5. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

It's legitmate. You just opened a can of worms.

I really doubt that anyone will tell you that their dispatch decreased.
  6. KBlakk

I'm looking for an answer "outside of the box" because I have seen different corporate initiatives affect areas differently for example some drivers love PAS/EDD while others hate it with every fiber of their being. I'm just looking for a little driver insight because I only know my opinion from the "tie" side of it.
  7. Limper

Limper Out For Delivery

What a more interesting discussion about stops per car is whether you thought UPS would keep it the same or lower it
    with a new contract approaching.......make nice for a little while, less stops, less warning letters, friendly environment.
  8. Dracula

Dracula Package Car is cake compared to this...

Stops, and SPH are both like prices...they only go up.
  9. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Actually more like b!tch b!tch b!tch lol.
  10. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Stops Per Car is a goal.

Theres nothing wrong with having a goal. There is something wrong with having a mandate, imposed from on high, that is chiseled in stone and cannot be adjusted for changing conditions.

My center had a ridiculous SPC metric shoved down its throat back in the summer of 2010 that resulted in drivers runing out of DOT hours in August and at least $70,000 in over 9.5 grievances being paid out in one year. I had pickup accounts that did not get serviced at all for days on end because we were forced to eliminate the route that was assigned to them. Two years later I am still trying to rebuild the trust that was lost when we routinely left pallets of these customers packages sitting on the dock for 2, 3 or even 4 days in a row, offering them nothing but BS excuses for why we couldnt get a truck out there. It was personally and professionally embarrassing to me and one of the most frustrating periods of time I have ever experienced in my 26 years as a driver. I believe in reality-based dispatching; all too often, SPC is nothing more than an excercise in fantasy-based dispatching.
  11. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Personally, I do not get the point of a SPC number.

PAS/EDD and all the dispatch software can com reasonably close to planning an 8-9 hour day for all the routes in a given building. Why not let that software do the job???

SPC is a metric pulled completely out of someone's rear end to justify their job. When will that position be down-sized out of the company???
  12. soberups

The other drawback to SPC is its toxic effect on management-employee relations.

Its pretty tough to have any respect for a Center Manager who has been reduced by Corporate to being little more than a puppet who generates a metric. Why even bother to call them a "manager" if they arent allowed to make a basic operational decision?
  13. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Sober makes a good point.

I cannot count the number of PCMs where my center manager has said that he fought for a lower SPC for a couple of days and we are going to have to 'pay for that' for the next few days/weeks/whatever.

Total and complete BS.

We have the technology that instead of SPC, management should be basing their decisions on paid on road hours. PERIOD.
  14. upsman68

upsman68 Active Member

My route went from 145 stops to 162
  15. browned_out

browned_out Member

Most if not all the quality managers are gone, once the stock went public see-ya. Now we have walking dead zombies who can only preach from the teachings of Mount Atlantis. These new managers are great with a power point presentation, and trying to beat last years United Way contributions.
  16. soberups

99% of service failures and problems that occur at UPS on a daily basis are self-inflicted. They have nothing to do with outside factors and are the direct result of local management being forced to blindly chase a number.

99% of the problems we face on a daily basis could be solved if our local management was simply empowered to do the next right thing.
  17. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

For no good reason and they only lead to more OT....
  18. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

19. BrownArmy

BrownArmy Well-Known Member

Inane add/cuts happen an a daily basis in my center to meet the SPC metric.

Miles go up, overtime hours go up, service suffers, misloads increase...

Is it working yet?
  20. uber

uber Guest

How many pickups?