SPC Good or bad?

stink219

How has "stops per car" affected your day to day delivering? Has your dispatch increased/decreased? Are your add/cut amounts up?
SPC is a figmented correlation of work by the company. Not all stops are created equal. The one factor that UPS intentionally leaves out is weight. 10 boxes weighing 1 lb each and 10 boxes weighing 69 lb each is considered the same. UPS uses weight or dimensional weight by distance to calculate price, yet they refuse to use this system for drivers. It would be too fair. The ONLY calculation for work is W=JxD.
W is work.
J is joules or newtons, force of gravity (weight).
D is distance.
friend' SPC, Spor or over allowed.
Unless they can tell me my true work, I don't care.

PACNW

The other drawback to SPC is its toxic effect on management-employee relations.

Its pretty tough to have any respect for a Center Manager who has been reduced by Corporate to being little more than a puppet who generates a metric. Why even bother to call them a "manager" if they arent allowed to make a basic operational decision?

Agreed. Managers have had the ability to manage taken from them over the last several years. Everything is mandated. This is why I got out of management 10 years ago and refuse to go back whenever I am pressured to put my letter in.

There are periods when there is a big push for "range of dispatch" meaning keeping as many drivers as possible between 8-9.5 hours. Then the Div. Mgr. will call down arbitrarily one day and insist on cutting routes and ROD goes right out the window. I can't speak for big centers, but in smaller super rural centers like mine when we cut routes miles can go up by as much as 40 miles or more. So, a route that might normally go out with 70-75 stops and 250 miles with a 9-10 hour plan, now has 85-90 and 300 miles.

JackStraw

Stop count went up 10-15. Somedays 20-30(they pay for those days). But I will admit that they have tighten it up. Some days it falls off the truck.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Agreed. Managers have had the ability to manage taken from them over the last several years. Everything is mandated. This is why I got out of management 10 years ago and refuse to go back whenever I am pressured to put my letter in.

There are periods when there is a big push for "range of dispatch" meaning keeping as many drivers as possible between 8-9.5 hours. Then the Div. Mgr. will call down arbitrarily one day and insist on cutting routes and ROD goes right out the window.

Why would a DM make this "arbitrary" call one day? I've heard the theory that all big corporate CEOs are psycho/sociopaths....does this affect DMs, too?

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
How has "stops per car" affected your day to day delivering? Has your dispatch increased/decreased? Are your add/cut amounts up?
SPC is a figmented correlation of work by the company. Not all stops are created equal. The one factor that UPS intentionally leaves out is weight. 10 boxes weighing 1 lb each and 10 boxes weighing 69 lb each is considered the same. UPS uses weight or dimensional weight by distance to calculate price, yet they refuse to use this system for drivers. It would be too fair. The ONLY calculation for work is W=JxD.
W is work.
J is joules or newtons, force of gravity (weight).
D is distance.
friend' SPC, Spor or over allowed.
Unless they can tell me my true work, I don't care.

This is a very good point and myself have been asking the same question, if we can apply DWS labels why is this size information not implemented into the PAS/EDD system. I have yet to receive an answer that even comes close to solving this dilemma.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What happen if a center manager did not go by the SPC metric, but his plan didn't blow up in his face?

He would probably get fired.

It doesnt matter if the plan succeeds or fails. The only thing that matters at UPS is blind obedience and generating the metric.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

This is a very good point and myself have been asking the same question, if we can apply DWS labels why is this size information not implemented into the PAS/EDD system. I have yet to receive an answer that even comes close to solving this dilemma.

I have. Have you ever delivered a "1lb" box that felt 40-50x heavier? I was given this answer when I asked why over-70's couldn't be shown somehow.

PACNW

Nothing, the center manager did his job.

He would probably get fired.

It doesnt matter if the plan succeeds or fails. The only thing that matters at UPS is blind obedience and generating the metric.[/QUOTE

Nope not that either.

Maybe some people work in a friendlier environment than others. I know managers (many of my good friends went the management route while I decided to drive) in my area that have tried to debate the merits of cutting a route(s) and were told by district staff that they are to hit SPC or report to the district office at 7am the following day to justify why they should still have a job.

PACNW

Why would a DM make this "arbitrary" call one day? I've heard the theory that all big corporate CEOs are psycho/sociopaths....does this affect DMs, too?

Depends on where you are I suppose. We have had both great DM's and some serious bullies. Maybe arbitrary was the wrong word for me to use. It just seems arbitrary to us (mgt and drivers) at the center level. I am sure somewhere in the upper levels they have some reason for putting fewer drivers on the road on a particular day to chase some metric, I just don't know what that reason is. 120 spc one day 138 the next with relatively the same volume? Who knows.

upsgrunt

Friday at the PCM we were told our routes went out heavier because the total center stops were up, but the total pieces were down. After the PCM I asked the center manager, "If, by chance, the stops were cut in half, and the total pieces doubled, wouldn't you still cut routes?"
His response: "I didn't expect you guys to understand."

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Imagine if UPS tried to run an airline using the SPC mentality.

Some bean counter in a cubicle would decide that a nonstop flight from LA to New York would only be given enough fuel to make it to Cincinnati, and the pilot would simply have to pray for a tail wind or find a way to get the plane to glide long enough to make it to the runway. Its a pretty easy mentality to buy into, especially if you are safe in a cubicle instead of having to actually fly the plane yourself. And if the plane crashes, you simply blame the pilot or the crew and send another flight out the next day with even less fuel.