Special treatment to shop stewart.

over9five

Staff member
In Package, my steward was often sent out with less air. It wasn't special treatment, it was just that he had to represent members in the office every morning so he wouldn't have time to get them all off.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes, our building is the same. Is it because of special treatment? No. Its because they're not on the belt looking at their load until start time. They take their lunch and breaks near noon each day whether its peak or summer. They don't even upload the EDD until start time. They attend every PCM. Their pick up compliance is 100% every day regardless how many miles out of the way it is. They walk off every stop.

Yes, they go out with less stops. Yes, management is happy to give them off whenever they want. When they take a day off management can add 20-30 more stops.

You hit the nail dead on the head.
Take note!!!
Although I'm sure there is a bad apple or two acroos the country, this is most assuredly the norm.
I've said before, I'll say it again, it's just a game be a player.
If you want to no how, ask your steward.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Out of my group of drivers I am junior to 3,senior to 2,of our stewards. I can say they they are treated like the other drivers,if not worse by mgmt. If anything they make it easier during the course of the day because either by CB,phone,or in person it is easier to stay on top of whats going on in the building,etc. Of course I`m talking feeder,package may have it`s own set of conditions.

grgrcr88, this is why I was able to say that seniority prevailed in our workday as we have our stewards around us all the time to make sure it goes down properly. I can understand why,as a package driver,it might be harder to stay on top of a situation while on route.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Our steward runs an hour and a half or more of bonus each day. He also gave up about 3 grand in supes working grievances so a driver could get his job back. You can be a steward and not be a complete pain in the butt.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes. That's the only thing that I know of for our steward as "special treatment".

Is this because of your lack of involvement?
If not what have you done about it?
Why have so many lost touch with the concept of a union shop?
You get what you give.
This isn't the YMCA, your dues only scratch the surface of what is necessary to maintain the organization.
You guys need to quit bitching and get involved.
Only then do you earn the right to sound off.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Why have so many lost touch with the concept of a union shop?
You get what you give.
This isn't the YMCA, your dues only scratch the surface of what is necessary to maintain the organization.
You guys need to quit bitching and get involved.
Only then do you earn the right to sound off.

Reread his post, he agrees with you as do I. He is saying that the stewards dont get any "special treatment" other than help with commit pkgs when they are delayed in the AM for steward duties, which is an operational necessity.

Billy

He does everything he can about it. I use to work with Just_another_day_at_work. He follows the contract to the letter. He files on every violation, Takes all his breaks, and does his job properly. If every employee in that building ( 4 centers ) did their job like him, there would be a lot more jobs available. Sometimes you guys need to understand the everyone doesn't have English as a first language. Their post may read a bit different some times.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Our steward runs an hour and a half or more of bonus each day. He also gave up about 3 grand in supes working grievances so a driver could get his job back. You can be a steward and not be a complete pain in the butt.

This should have never happened! WHo is to decide what grievances are important? What about the people that had that $3,000 coming?

Each grievance should be heard for its merit. If the driver was dirty than he should be fired, if not thats what the grievance procedure is for.

Billy

Perhaps it was his grievance and not others though. I'd be willing to give up my personal grievances as a steward to keep the jobs of a employee. To make extra money is what shouldn't happen. Trading them for jobs is a perfectly acceptable trade to me.

Just_another_day_at_work

He does everything he can about it. I use to work with Just_another_day_at_work. He follows the contract to the letter. He files on every violation, Takes all his breaks, and does his job properly. If every employee in that building ( 4 centers ) did their job like him, there would be a lot more jobs available. Sometimes you guys need to understand the everyone doesn't have English as a first language. Their post may read a bit different some times.
Thank you Billy. :peaceful:

whiskey

Yes, our building is the same. Is it because of special treatment? No. Its because they're not on the belt looking at their load until start time. They take their lunch and breaks near noon each day whether its peak or summer. They don't even upload the EDD until start time. They attend every PCM. Their pick up compliance is 100% every day regardless how many miles out of the way it is. They walk off every stop.

Yes, they go out with less stops. Yes, management is happy to give them off whenever they want. When they take a day off management can add 20-30 more stops.
Wow, Jesus lives.

D

Dis-organized Labor

In the Airline, i have had some very good Stewards, one in particular. I "partnered" with him to try to improve the operation I was responsible for managing. He was a great resource and truly a "voice of reason".
The "troublemakers" ended up not liking him and would not accept that he was actually their advocate.
I treated him special, but only because he spent time in my office listening to my perspective and challenges. We worked on a great many initiatives and made things better from a previous sxxx-hole. It was a shame that the union turned on him.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Perhaps it was his grievance and not others though. I'd be willing to give up my personal grievances as a steward to keep the jobs of a employee. To make extra money is what shouldn't happen. Trading them for jobs is a perfectly acceptable trade to me.

At no time EVER,EVER,EVER, should one grievance be traded for another, That only leads to problems, not to mention the posibility of opening up the Union to improper representation suits.

I was once asked to trade one drivers suspension for anothers Term, got up and walked out and have not sat back down with that particular manager since.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I am so tired of poeple that know nothing of what a stedard does, talking about the "special " treatment, relationship, what ever the hell you want to call it, with management.

The fact is we as stewards are required to spend time with management personel at all levels, to protect and defend the membership. Ya, we may talk to the manager in a friendly tone when we see each other on the shop floor, ya we may know a bit more about the management team than the average driver, but you have no idea wgat goes on behind those closed doors, and I am quit certain most of you do not ever want to know. (based on the level of involvement at the local). Until you have walked in the shoes of a steward, do not talk bad about them, in fact why don't you thank them every once in a while for the time they spend working for your protection!!!

I am so tired of poeple that know nothing of what a stedard does, talking about the "special " treatment, relationship, what ever the hell you want to call it, with management.

The fact is we as stewards are required to spend time with management personel at all levels, to protect and defend the membership. Ya, we may talk to the manager in a friendly tone when we see each other on the shop floor, ya we may know a bit more about the management team than the average driver, but you have no idea wgat goes on behind those closed doors, and I am quit certain most of you do not ever want to know. (based on the level of involvement at the local). Until you have walked in the shoes of a steward, do not talk bad about them, in fact why don't you thank them every once in a while for the time they spend working for your protection!!!

I`ll be the first to say it that stewards don`t get the respect they deserve until someones screwed and then they`re their best buddy (save me, save me). I also know they will get m.friend`d behind their back if they don`t run off and file or get in mgmts face for every chicken shiz reason regardless of how stupid it is.

So,grgrcr88,705red,the other stewards on here,my guys Big E,Hulkster,Towey,and the rest. Thank You!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
One of the biggest challenges of being a steward is to remember that you wear more than one hat.

I am on friendly terms with many of the management people I work for. I will come into the office and chat with them, make jokes etc. But when its time to represent a member, I have to take that "friend" hat off and put the "steward" hat on because the relationship is now by definition adversarial. And once the meeting is over and the business has been resolved...I have to take that "steward" hat back off again because when I leave the gate and get to my first stop in the morning, I have to be wearing my "professional employee" hat. The customers I deal with do not need to know about any labor issues that are occuring in the office, they just need a professional to provide them the service they are paying for.

Friends are friends, the contract is the contract, and business is business. Its important to keep them seperate.

One of the biggest challenges of being a steward is to remember that you wear more than one hat.

I am on friendly terms with many of the management people I work for. I will come into the office and chat with them, make jokes etc. But when its time to represent a member, I have to take that "friend" hat off and put the "steward" hat on because the relationship is now by definition adversarial. And once the meeting is over and the business has been resolved...I have to take that "steward" hat back off again because when I leave the gate and get to my first stop in the morning, I have to be wearing my "professional employee" hat. The customers I deal with do not need to know about any labor issues that are occuring in the office, they just need a professional to provide them the service they are paying for.

Friends are friends, the contract is the contract, and business is business. Its important to keep them seperate.

I think you touched on it be veered off,respectfully. I am "friendly" with many members of my management team right now,I think we have a good group at present at least the ones I work for. Drivers also for that matter. Joking around,talking sports,sharing a laugh are good things. It takes the edge off. But we are not "friends" by definition. When things need to get serious i don`t expect anything from them like I would from a friend.
I agree with everything you said though on the different situations of the workday.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
This should have never happened! WHo is to decide what grievances are important? What about the people that had that $3,000 coming?

Each grievance should be heard for its merit. If the driver was dirty than he should be fired, if not thats what the grievance procedure is for.

The steward filed the grievances on behalf of himself.