Speeding off the clock?

MC0493

I've searched, but i'd just like some fresh advice. I'm a full time package car driver, got a speeding ticket going home tonight. Was apparently doing 60 in a 40 but i got ticked for 50 in a 40. Aside from a couple non moving violations my record was clean. Should i just pay it or try and fight it, how does this affect my job?

Box Ox

Should i just pay it or try and fight it, how does this affect my job?

In the past I've had success just sending a lawyer for maybe $75 extra to show up at court and get it reduced. Well worth it for insurance, time/travel and not having to take a day off work purposes.

You'll probably start getting mail from law firms over the next few days. If you're worried and their price is reasonable, cut/mail a check and be done with it. Or just pay the ticket and see what happens with insurance, etc. Couldn't tell you.

P

pickup

I've searched, but i'd just like some fresh advice. I'm a full time package car driver, got a speeding ticket going home tonight. Was apparently doing 60 in a 40 but i got ticked for 50 in a 40. Aside from a couple non moving violations my record was clean. Should i just pay it or try and fight it, how does this affect my job?

Put in whatever effort you can muster to fight this ticket. You can't lose a loser. And if you are found guilty, your next ticket will be considered while the judge looks at a computer screen with your first guilty conviction.

BrownArmy

Two decades and three lifetimes ago I got busted going 110 in a 55 zone.

Statey was PISSED.

I was honest (trying to get my '84 van past 100mph sir, this two-mile downgrade seemed like my chance, not much traffic!!).

No joy (sometimes honesty isn't the best policy).

I lawyered up, ended up with a 'reckless driving' charge, lost my license for sixty days, lived to drive again.

Do what you need to do.

35years

Gravy route
Have a lawyer fight for you.
Otherwise your insurance COULD go up, say...
$800 a year for the next 3 years.

His first tactic will probably be to ask for a continuance that is inconvenient for the patrolman...he may not show up.
Then have it reduced to 9 MPH over the speed limit... so it wont be reported to your insurance co.

Or you could just pay it and have your insurance skyrocket.

No affect on your job. Just report it on your annual as others have stated.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Two decades and three lifetimes ago I got busted going 110 in a 55 zone.

Statey was :censored2:.

I was honest (trying to get my '84 van past 100mph sir, this two-mile downgrade seemed like my chance, not much traffic!!).

No joy (sometimes honesty isn't the best policy).

I lawyered up, ended up with a 'reckless driving' charge, lost my license for sixty days, lived to drive again.

Do what you need to do.
You?

Being stupid and risking your life and breaking laws?

Figures.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the past I've had success just sending a lawyer for maybe $75 extra to show up at court and get it reduced. Well worth it for insurance, time/travel and not having to take a day off work purposes.

You'll probably start getting mail from law firms over the next few days. If you're worried and their price is reasonable, cut/mail a check and be done with it. Or just pay the ticket and see what happens with insurance, etc. Couldn't tell you.

Why would the OP expect to get mailings from lawyers? How would they know that he was cited for speeding?

To the OP-----go to your local police station and request a reduction form. Fill it out and turn it in. If your record is otherwise clean the chances are very good that the ticket will be reduced to a non-moving violation.

DO NOT HIRE A LAWYER!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Why would the OP expect to get mailings from lawyers? How would they know that he was cited for speeding? (upstate)

It's on the police blogs and it's public knowledge........'ambulance chasers' mail and cold call this list.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't imagine any of them occurred within the walls of your lily white gated community.
Actually,thieves tend to go where the valuables are........there have been several robberies around here. Most houses have alarm systems or dogs.
Dogs work better.....no charges for false barkings!

Johney

Why would the OP expect to get mailings from lawyers? How would they know that he was cited for speeding?

To the OP-----go to your local police station and request a reduction form. Fill it out and turn it in. If your record is otherwise clean the chances are very good that the ticket will be reduced to a non-moving violation.

DO NOT HIRE A LAWYER!

Not here.

I don't imagine any of them occurred within the walls of your lily white gated community.
You really are oblivious to the real world aren't you?

Before you say you aren't.....yes you really are.
SMH