Split shift on the belt to eliminate ot at 5 1/2????

JDAM00

Part timers get overtime any hours worked after 5 and a half hours in any given day plain n simple. This has never been an issue in the past until this xmas. This is another attempt to say friend$ck u to the part timers by ups managment. Whats the difference between a driver working an 8-10 shift and a part timer? Is the driver double shifting or is it one shift? Its in the contract part timers get ot anything over 5 and a half!

Who knows maybe they will split up the driver's shift. he can work the "Peak season driver relief shift" for 8 hours, take a lunch, then work his shift for 3 hours after that, making no overtime.

Now with the SPLIT SHIFT argument straightened out, in the contract it stated that if the facility adds a second shift they are required hang sign up sheets and to staff it. What is to stop all union loaders to say, nah, I dont want to work the Peak Season Volume Relief Shift, let me know when the preload shift starts I'll see you then? We are hired, and obligated to work the preload. Management cant force me to come in and work the local sort, force me to work as a runner, and cant force me to work the Peak Season Volume Relief Shift.

nate4027

Close, I maxed out I think a little over 1800 on 6 trucks. All 1'000, a lot of post office. Rock star huh? Its a pretty crazy facility. Its smaller, maxed out just under 60 trucks. Currently drivers average over 200 stops a day. I run as a driver helper as well when I can. As frustrated as I am that I am with losing that overtime, what really bothers me is having Management find loop holes in the contract to pay us less. If they were worried about safety, there are other ways to include a 30 minute lunch.
Where is this loophole located in the contract book?

Gazelle

Race me!
Seriously, no offense but if you know so much why are you posting.

Honestly if we scheduled you for a 10 hour day, you would be the first to complain if we didn't offer you a lunch. It's the law if we are scheduling people 8 hour days that they get a lunch break.

WhereDoIWorkAgain

Sounds fishy to me here that, the company found a local rider that might be able to be stretched allowing a second shift. Ok, I buy that. The company is required to have people working 8+ have a lunch. I get that as well. Its the part about people as part timers being scheduled 2 concurrent four plus shifts with 30 minutes to an hour between them. Sure I can see the company trying to do it but the local union should have jumped all over that.

rudy5150

Thank you local 118 for showing your weakness on this huge issue at the geneva ny center. Thanks for letting ups (ray) shoving it in our $ss during xmas and taking $$$$$$ out of our pockets during a time when people expect the extra cash the most. Thanks for taking our union dues and sittin on your ******

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Part timers get overtime any hours worked after 5 and a half hours in any given day plain n simple. This has never been an issue in the past until this xmas. This is another attempt to say friend$ck u to the part timers by ups managment. Whats the difference between a driver working an 8-10 shift and a part timer? Is the driver double shifting or is it one shift? Its in the contract part timers get ot anything over 5 and a half!

It's addressed in local/riders, not the national contract. In my area, we get OT after 5 hours -- even if we voluntarily work split shifts. In the early 2000s, (in my building) we were scheduled & guaranteed 8-hours each day between Thanksgiving & Christmas (and would frequently work 9-10) and therefore did not receive OT. Even though this isn't addressed in the contract, nobody addressed it. But once the PT workforce here began sticking around, and jobs became scarce, they stopped this practice. We now typically work 5.5-6 hours most days.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Thank you local 118 for showing your weakness on this huge issue at the geneva ny center. Thanks for letting ups (ray) shoving it in our $ss during xmas and taking $$$$$$ out of our pockets during a time when people expect the extra cash the most. Thanks for taking our union dues and sittin on your ******
where is your contempt for the company?

rudy5150

Don't get me wrong I'm pissed at company and union over this. It's clear full timers issues and concerns trump part timers. Contract language needs to be much improved to fix certain issues. I will only be working my required shift not breaking my back and losing all my sleep for this greedy ********* company.

rudy5150

I'm pissed at company and union don't get wrong. Is anyone else out there pissed how part timers are treated? It seems full timers issues and concerns trump part timers. I will only be working my required shift not working the double, sick of breaking my back and losing sleep for this greedy heartless company

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm pissed at company and union don't get wrong. Is anyone else out there pissed how part timers are treated? It seems full timers issues and concerns trump part timers. I will only be working my required shift not working the double, sick of breaking my back and losing sleep for this greedy heartless company

So you're planning on leaving after this first half of your shift? That's call job abandonment and could lead to your termination.

JDAM00

This post has turned into something I didn't want it to. I didn't want it to be specific to our location, and I didn't want to use anyone's names. The idea was to voice my frustration and get some advise on how to approach it, not "bash" our facility, although a few of my posts I was clearly frustrated.

Upstate, again, you are wrong. Because of the split shift, Preload shift and "Peak Overflow Relief Shift", permanent, union employees have the option to work the Peak season relief shift, just as if supervisors asked us to work as runners, or the local sort. It was an option we kicked around, and started to follow through with. In the end, we were too worried management would call our bluff and we would end up losing 20 hours a week, and a lot more money. Currently our local union business agent is not supporting us, however a union representative who was involved in the creation of our contract told us yesterday that what is happening is a clear violation of the contract.

AS of now the plan is to work as scheduled, and hopefully our local can sort this out, and if action can be taken this spring to reimburse, we would be happy. When it comes down to it, less pay is better than no pay, and we all have to lay down and take it.

Truthfully where my frustration is steering toward is the union. after 10 days we still don't have a straight answer, feel very unsupported, and disorganized. I expected more from the largest union in the country, and will be remembering this when elections come around.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The national agreement also mentions "duties" and a part-timer is done with their work after punching out. no PT is forced to work two shifts in one day.

WhereDoIWorkAgain

If you're part time, you can leave after 5 hours.

Also, there are FT preloads. Top driver rate jobs.

Hey really? I'm curious about that as I am on the preload shift and typically average 7 hours per day year round and more around peak. Any chance of my taking the say 48 pay stubs to the union that show me having 30+ hours per week and getting recoded to full time with applicable pay or would I just be ensuring myself of having a part time job that was part time for real with benefits..... instead of pretend full time under part time pay as I do now??

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Hey really? I'm curious about that as I am on the preload shift and typically average 7 hours per day year round and more around peak. Any chance of my taking the say 48 pay stubs to the union that show me having 30+ hours per week and getting recoded to full time with applicable pay or would I just be ensuring myself of having a part time job that was part time for real with benefits..... instead of pretend full time under part time pay as I do now??

No chance. Nationally, the company's eliminating as many FT inside jobs as it can.

I don't know what standards, if any, the union has to persist employees be tagged as FT, but if you're not working over 8 hours (non-peak), I would've even see your issue on the union's radar. If you did complain, the Company would do whatever it takes to keep employees under 8 hours.