SPORH Harrassment

island1fox

Clueless,

Better check with some Local 804 Arbitrations that Ups Package Drivers LOST their jobs for Believing people like Dracula --cloudy days --sunny days whatever.

I do not always agree with Upstate ---If you can look in the mirror and the person you see in there is truly giving a great work day in exchange for great pay and benefits --relax --you are fine.

In Dracula's demented world --He actually believes that this applies to 100% of Union Brothers.

It is childish and not the REAL world ---Everyone knows at least one lazy slacker.
I believe the 80 -20 concept does not apply to UPS. From my three decades of experience --on "BOTH" sides of the fence ---I truly know that 90% of UPS people are Honest and VERY hard working---That here is about 10 percent --the loudest --have to be dealt with --- for everyones job and security----Just a true FACT ----unless you drink too much Kool aid and wear rose colored glasses and do not live in or recognize basic human nature and the REALITY of the world.:sad-little:

For the union reps that agreed with Dracula just because you have some "vendetta" against Upstate --shame on you --You know the job ---sure there are some Management Jerks ---but you honestly know --there are some drivers you represent are lazy low -lifes. For a Steward to deny this --you may actually hurt someone --with VERY bad advice !!:sick:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I do not always agree with Upstate ---If you can look in the mirror and the person you see in there is truly giving a great work day in exchange for great pay and benefits --relax --you are fine.

In Dracula's demented world --He actually believes that this applies to 100% of Union Brothers.

It is childish and not the REAL world ---Everyone knows at least one lazy slacker.

These people look in the mirror and their perception and belief is they are truly giving a great work day in exchange for great pay and benefits.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Better check with some Local 804 Arbitrations that Ups Package Drivers LOST their jobs for Believing people like Dracula --cloudy days --sunny days whatever.

I can tell you this, UPS wishes he was still under their thumb as a package car driver.
Instead he dogs their every misstep, as the biggest bad ask BA in NYC.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If you have been on the same route for a very long time and you are consistent ---say 125 total stops --total paid day ten hours.
When you are ojs'same area --same stops and you consistently work 8.5 hours -that is a problem.
Along with that problem --you constantly cry about and file over 9.5 grievances.

I would personally change my work behavior or you may not even see that paycheck in the future --Whats right is right. Some Drivers B.S. just one extra minute at each stop --and cannot see 2 hours of overtime.

If under supervision --you run + or - 15 minutes of YOUR normal total hours ---no worries --keep filing the 9.5 grievances ---citing the OJS rides --your spc will be adjusted--Whats right is right .

Be careful of taking advice from shi-house lawyers--If you cannot TALK to Management --Talk to your Union Rep.:peaceful:

Good Luck.

Ya know island, these principles may have worked for you in 1949, but this is 2013 where route values have been cut so drastically the norm is no longer "scratch", but an acceptable day is one hour in the hole. This is 2013 bro, a "new" UPS. A UPS where preload will cut the hours of a kid making 9.50 an hour to "dump" the load in the package car just to get the slides clean, then force a driver at 55 bucks an hour to fix it in the PM for two hours, or having to drive an extra 10 miles just to deliver the off area packages that always end up in the cars.

In todays UPS, we fail more packages than ever before. We have more misloads per 100 than ever before, we drive more miles than ever before. NO matter what P.O.S. technological system UPS deploys, it makes it worse.

History: back in 1991 i took my route. It was a P8 with 110 stops mostly business, small residential and about 175 to 200 piece day with 39 industrial pickups that would see 350 to 500 pickup pieces. In 1991, the route could be done in under 9.5 paid day and thats working a sweat and staying on target. It planned out at 10.5 to 11.5 a day depending on COD's and pickups.

Over the years leading up to the strike, I made production bonus from working hard and beating the planned day. Over those same years, UPS cut the value of my route as they "whittled" down my time per stop per area.

In 1998, I was moved into a P110, my delivery stops increased to 155, my miles extended by 10 per day, my pickups remained the same and the planned day was reduced to less than 8 hours a day. This has remained the same since.

Everyday, I am at least 2.5 hours in the hole, and even if I sacrificed my lunch and breaks and did not have any chit chat time, that would still leave me 1.5 hours in the hole.

The extra work added to the car is signature only condos and apartments where my spohr went from a solid 16.55 to less than 14 stops an hour. You see island, some genious figured out that reducing my "planned day" would somehow force me to RUN, JUMP, SPEED my way to under 9 hours, and that just aint going to happen.

When the sups ride on car, we go even slower. Im folding in my mirrors, im parking on clear curbs, im not putting that car in red zones, Im not blocking driveways, Im clearing every intersection by the methods, Im not running, im not crossing on grass or cutting driveways. Im using proper lifting devices and calling for help on ALL over 70 pkgs.

You see, in 1949, there were no heavy packages. NO workout equiptment, NO big screen tv's, NO 150 lbs furniture and NO large bulkstops.

Today, its a blown out package car loaded from top to bottom from left to right with an isle that buried in assorted bulk that came down the slide at different times forcing me to handle and touch the same packages over and over for the first 4 hours of my day.

I will agree though, that there are "some" that seem to go a bit faster when a sups on the car, but the majority of drivers are honest people who are fighting a system that is failing to provide a good work day.

In the companies eyes, everyone is stealing time, thats the only answer they want to accept. They refused to believe they are responsible for destroying not only operation of the company, but the loss of profits.

Its an ugly monster. Preload cuts its hours to save pennies, the loads are compromised, then the package centers cut cars, cramming extra splits onto shelves where the only option is to compromise the D.O.L. because of double and triple stack brick loads, then the package center brings its drivers in late, after 9pm compromising the twilight causing the feeder trucks to delay pull times, once feeder delays pull times, that delays arriving times at other hubs or switches, once that happens, trailers get to the preload late and the cycle starts again.

Nothing in that scenario leads to profitability ISLAND, and yet, rather than FIX this practice, the company believes its going to save itself by harrassing drivers to EEK out 15 mins of street time.

Im in feeder now, and believe me, watching the unload wait for drivers because they buried the entire crew is a pure comedy of errors.

UPS has bigger fish to fry, like its own management, before it attempts to eliminate "the paycheck of a driver".

Guys like you ( in your day ) had it easy. Envelopes and smalls. WOOO HOOO. Everyone in before 7pm. Today, staying out till 9pm in a large corridor like WLA is the norm. Our drivers dont make over 100K out here because UPS hands it to us, we earn it fixing the very mistakes you call "CONCEPTS", only we fix it while earning 55 dollars an hour.

IF UPS was smart, they would eliminate the business manager, and allow the most qualified senior driver to dispatch the center in coordination with PDS and allow that person to add/cut where needed after "problems" were identified that would cause a driver to stay out late and interfere with twilight.

Unfortunately, today, managers ( like yourself) drink from the same "kool aid" jug and believe that the directive to cut cars coming from atlanta is in the companies best interests even though you know well ahead of time that you will fail packages, pickups and customers.

The only "kool aid" drinking people at UPS are the jug heads of IE who come up with "a plan to fail" everyday.

I caution the drivers not to listen to a "relic". Someone so removed from UPS reality that they can offer no realistic advice on todays operation.

I hope this helps you.

TOS

island1fox

TOS,
Now you are a person whose advice I would listen to ----Yeah right --I guess that's why you have been voted in as a B.A.

You can bs about all the changes --yet there are drivers you can set your clocks by ---they come in every day --when they want ---not when they can--the lazy slackers ---stealing time drivers --always a small percent --but of course you believe they all disappeared ---la-la land

Some day you will grow up --face reality --and actually like yourself.

Last edited:
TOS,
Now you are a person whose advice I would listen to ----Yeah right --I guess that's why you have been voted in as a B.A.

You can bs about all the changes --yet there are drivers you can set your clocks by ---they come in every day --when they want ---not when they can--the lazy slackers ---stealing time drivers --always a small percent --but of course you believe they all disappeared ---la-la land

Some day you will grow up --face reality --and actually like yourself.
He isn't voted into anything and I doubt members would be stupid enough to do so.

island1fox

Do you think there's management anywhere that's working 100% any day everyday?

If that question is directed to me --I believe I have already addressed that.
I stated earlier that there are some mgmt. that are jerks.

The same with drivers, part-timers--Management --whomever--Human nature-- many --the majority good hard working people.

If I made a statement that 100% of Mgmt is perfect and gives 100% everyday ---that is just as wrong and dopey as saying every driver is a slacker---or as some here are saying --100% of the drivers give 100% every day.
Come on !!! Lets deal with reality --rather than spout fantasy !!!:wink2:

island1fox

TOS,

As I went back and re-read your long winded post---we actually agree -on a major point.
The majority of UPS people --including the Drivers are honest and hard working.

Now --if you go back and re- read my post on this --you would see that we do in fact agree!!

Wow --now that's a disturbing thought:happy-very:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree with TOS. People who worked here 20 yrs ago, and knew it was hard, know nothing of UPS now. Alot in His post is 100 % the way it is, like it dont like it true.
I talked to some very learned people on here, and I regained my self esteem. I dont know if I can publicly thank any of them. But they know who they are.
I was a scratch driver +/- 25 to 30 a day. Now its 20 miles more with 40 more stops, and its under 8? What I go out with now,all year, I used to be forced to take a helper?
I might be older, but I am smarter, and I follow the methods, I dont get hurt, have accidents,(good Lord willing) or ignore my customers. Because if I wont help them, someone else will.
If anyone thinks Im stealing time, they are certifiably nuts. Because from start time to finish time, I am trying to work my way out of the brown truck.
The only thing that has changed is the allowance. SPORH is a wonderful measurement if indeed it is basically the same daily. If its 20 miles more, more pkgs, more cods, more stops etc, it will not be the same. It is math, I cannot control math.
For everything I lost with age, and arthritis etc, I gain in area knowledge. But just coz it fits in the truck, doesnt mean it fits, or is possible to deliver in that time frame they magically calculate. Doesnt mean a single person can do it.
My new rule for my sanity, is I will not be defined by a number.

I agree with TOS. People who worked here 20 yrs ago, and knew it was hard, know nothing of UPS now. Alot in His post is 100 % the way it is, like it dont like it true.
I talked to some very learned people on here, and I regained my self esteem. I dont know if I can publicly thank any of them. But they know who they are.
I was a scratch driver +/- 25 to 30 a day. Now its 20 miles more with 40 more stops, and its under 8? What I go out with now,all year, I used to be forced to take a helper?
I might be older, but I am smarter, and I follow the methods, I dont get hurt, have accidents,(good Lord willing) or ignore my customers. Because if I wont help them, someone else will.
If anyone thinks Im stealing time, they are certifiably nuts. Because from start time to finish time, I am trying to work my way out of the brown truck.
The only thing that has changed is the allowance. SPORH is a wonderful measurement if indeed it is basically the same daily. If its 20 miles more, more pkgs, more cods, more stops etc, it will not be the same. It is math, I cannot control math.
For everything I lost with age, and arthritis etc, I gain in area knowledge. But just coz it fits in the truck, doesnt mean it fits, or is possible to deliver in that time frame they magically calculate. Doesnt mean a single person can do it.
My new rule for my sanity, is I will not be defined by a number.
They do not take into consideration the size of the package. I can carry 3 QVC boxes to a house in one trip, but not 3 Pottery Barn boxes!...Its all a pile of crap!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They do not take into consideration the size of the package. I can carry 3 QVC boxes to a house in one trip, but not 3 Pottery Barn boxes!...Its all a pile of crap!!!
And 3 envelopes is the same as 3 100 pds of steel. And the time it takes to put in the over 70s is the time + it takes to deliver them. Total crap.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Do you think there is a driver anywhere that's working 100% any day everyday?
I think it is more likely a ups driver is working 100% than say a government employee. I know most of us try, Is anyone capable of 100% all day every day? We all have to stop occasionally. I would say no one is 100 % daily. But I think we are probably closer than most considering the time frames and monitoring we endure. And I think the challenge is a good thing.
The unfairness is a bad thing.

Do you think there is a driver anywhere that's working 100% any day everyday?

Management does not give you an incentive to give 100%.................If you do give a %100 they give you more work! the harder you work , the more they take off the slackers! Screw that! I give an honest day everyday.....im tired of cleaning up after lazy people!