sporh production lock in

DS

Fenderbender
Please help,I'd like to know how this panned out at your centers.
Today we we told every driver was to see our sup before punching out.
They want us all to sign a sheet locking us in to so and so sporh.
I know a lot of you have been through this and I'd like to hear what you did in this situation.I noticed on the sheet there is a place for drivers comments.
Do I have to sign it? We all know that there is no such thing as an average day,and I can't promise that I will do so and so sporh every day.I can't bring myself to sign something that is impossible to live up to.
What did everyone else do?

wornoutupser

Refuse to sign it! The first thing that they did here was to change my dispatch- and then try to hold me accountable to the old work. We fought and fought- and won it! One driver here has filed a National Labor Relations Board complaint against UPS and refuses to back down. UPS has tries twice to "take him to lunch" and he refuses to go. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
had my first day of a 3 day today.
I will keep u posted.
I was told I would get a union letter, if I did not adhere. We discussed how crap rolls downhill, and then I explained math, and how it cannot be the same on a 70 mile day as on a 90 mile day. And how those little boxes we deliver cause the numbers to also change. And then we discussed how his boss wants to know why it changes, and I said then he should probably not be in such a position if he cannot do simple math.
And he should do what he needs to, to make his boss happy and keep his job, but I wont be signing it, and I have the perfect use for those letters. I only wish they came in two ply.
I was told my pace was too slow. I go as fast as I can safely, and physically. Sorry if you dont approve, not something I can fix. Some days I move better than others, it has to do with age and physical condition, and Im pretty sure its in the contract somewhere. I didnt know waht else to say, being open, honest, with no disrespect meant, its just the way it is. Now I guess if you can show me how I am stealing time by not using proper methods, that is something else, but other than that......................

thessalonian13

Please help,I'd like to know how this panned out at your centers.
Today we we told every driver was to see our sup before punching out.
They want us all to sign a sheet locking us in to so and so sporh.
I know a lot of you have been through this and I'd like to hear what you did in this situation.I noticed on the sheet there is a place for drivers comments.
Do I have to sign it? We all know that there is no such thing as an average day,and I can't promise that I will do so and so sporh every day.I can't bring myself to sign something that is impossible to live up to.
What did everyone else do?
DO NOT SIGN IT!!!!!!!! They can't hold you to specific numbers. Tell them if they guarantee you the same exact amount of stops and same exact number of packages (delivery and pick up pieces) and the same exact weather and traffic conditions every day, then you will guarantee them the sporh that both of you agree upon. That should end the conversation real fast.

Griff

Don't sign it. It's not a huge deal if you do end up signing it as anything signed without union representation is considered entering into an extra contract agreement and therefore is void. It will never hold up at a termination/panel hearing unless there is more to the story. I have personally had several 3 day sporh lock in rides, they threaten accountability but will only turn the heat up on those who will not fight them through the grievance process. Plain and simple, it's harassment and over supervision. Decisions and planning were taken away from middle management, their job description is now to harass, intimidate and fire everyone humanly possible.

"The parties agree that the principle of a fair day’s work for a fair
day’s pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform
their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer’s
interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass,
coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his
or her duties. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and
respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving
due consideration to the age and physical condition of the
employee. Employees will also treat each other as well as the
Employer with dignity and respect."

UPS only observes the first sentence in that paragraph, it's up to US to make sure they obey the entire thing. File a damn grievance and take it to panel if it isn't resolved to your satisfaction.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I will keep u posted.
I was told I would get a union letter, if I did not adhere. We discussed how crap rolls downhill, and then I explained math, and how it cannot be the same on a 70 mile day as on a 90 mile day. And how those little boxes we deliver cause the numbers to also change. And then we discussed how his boss wants to know why it changes, and I said then he should probably not be in such a position if he cannot do simple math.
And he should do what he needs to, to make his boss happy and keep his job, but I wont be signing it, and I have the perfect use for those letters. I only wish they came in two ply.
I was told my pace was too slow. I go as fast as I can safely, and physically. Sorry if you dont approve, not something I can fix. Some days I move better than others, it has to do with age and physical condition, and Im pretty sure its in the contract somewhere. I didnt know waht else to say, being open, honest, with no disrespect meant, its just the way it is. Now I guess if you can show me how I am stealing time by not using proper methods, that is something else, but other than that......................

do the best "you" can do and thats that!!! Try not to get stressed out about it(I know from personal experience thats not as easy as it sounds!!)and keep us informed!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
SPORH "lock-in" rides are valid in I.E. world because in I.E. world there is no traffic, there is unlimited parking directly in front of each address, all loads are perfect, all packages are cubes that weigh 5 lbs each, there are no misloads, it never gets dark, and every day is sunny and 72 degrees outside.

If they let you bid a route in I.E. world then you are probably OK to commit to a certain SPORH. But if your route is in the real world, then instead of signing that "lock in" form you should politely tell your supervisor that he can go ahead and rectally insert it while keeping his feet shoulder width apart and avoiding an end-range motion. :happy-very:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Don't sign but ask for a copy to give to your BA so he can grieve the extra contract clause. I have had those put in front of me before, but always told them I wouldn't sign. On a funny note my center manager had a list a few years back like this with about half the center signed on and when he came to me he told me there was no commitment, so I signed 'no commitment'. He threw it out I believe. Never saw one since.

swilly

You can write 'signed under protest' per article 37 of our contract which states thier are no production standards

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
ARTICLE 6. Section 1. Extra Contract Agreements Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or col- lectively, or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively, which in any way con- flicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such Agreement or document shall be null and void. Any such agreement or document may not be placed in an employee’s file or used by the Employer as a basis for discipline or used in connection with any disciplinary proceeding, nor any such agreement or document nor the con- tents thereof be divulged to any person or entity. Section 2.Workweek Reduction If either the Fair Labor Standards Act or the Hours of Service Regulations are subsequently amended so as to result in substantia
This is your contract. Be aware they are trying to get you to agree to something that you do not have to agree to. Please do not sign it, DS. For your own sake. And your co-workers.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I will keep u posted.
Art. 6- Do not sign anything!!!!!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think you will see this more specifically addressed in 2013.

DS, I thought they had to do a 3 day ride before asking you to sign a lock-in SPORH.

Since we (A) are not required to sign the document in the first place and (B) do not contractually recognize the validity of a so-called "lock-in ride"....then the number of days that management chooses to ride with us is irrelevant anyway.

"Lock-in" rides are just another fiction created by management to try and intimidate the weak-willed among us into working off of the clock in order to meet their impossible production expectations. The MIP bonuses paid out to management are a direct reflection of how many drivers they can succesfully screw out of a lunch and a break every day. 9 drivers who skip lunch=1 route eliminated=one less car on the road=one less FT benefit package. Its a scam. Its basic math. The concept of "lock-in" rides was invented because even the stupid among us can plainly see that UPS's "time allowances" are often so divorced from reality that no one cares about being "overallowed" any more, so the company had to invent a new bogus measurement to harass us with.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
ARTICLE 6. Section 1. Extra Contract Agreements Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or col- lectively, or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively, which in any way con- flicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such Agreement or document shall be null and void. Any such agreement or document may not be placed in an employee’s file or used by the Employer as a basis for discipline or used in connection with any disciplinary proceeding, nor any such agreement or document nor the con- tents thereof be divulged to any person or entity. Section 2.Workweek Reduction If either the Fair Labor Standards Act or the Hours of Service Regulations are subsequently amended so as to result in substantia
This is your contract. Be aware they are trying to get you to agree to something that you do not have to agree to. Please do not sign it, DS. For your own sake. And your co-workers.
Is this language the same in Canada, where DS is?

klein

Für Meno :)
I'm certain he doesn't need to sign anything without a union rep being present. That's the Union law of Teamsters !

whiskey

I've learned to sign everything. I don't even read them anymore. If signing means my immediate soup looks good. Why not?
I've been told many times that a monkey could do my job. I think he just produces an "X" for his signature.