sporh production lock in

ymelord

Take as long as you can, ask as many questions as you can, (how do you figure this is the correct sphor,do you know my route changes everyday, how do expect me to make those numbers, does the union know your doing this, what happens if i don't make sphor, what happens if i don't sign, is everybody else having to sign the paper, hows the wife, and kids).
THEN THANK THEM FOR BUYING YOU THAT BEER YOUR GOING TO DRINK WITH THE OVERTIME YOU JUST MADE. DON'T EVER SIGN ANYTHING.
33444-clipart-of-a-blue-can-of-beer-by-maria-bell.jpg

ymelord

Stall as long as you can, asking a bunch of question, a bunch of question, stall, stall, stall, then thank them for the beer they just bought you with the overtime you just made.
DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING!!!!!!!!

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
DO NOT SIGN IT!!!!!!!! They can't hold you to specific numbers. Tell them if they guarantee you the same exact amount of stops and same exact number of packages (delivery and pick up pieces) and the same exact weather and traffic conditions every day, then you will guarantee them the sporh that both of you agree upon. That should end the conversation real fast.

Exact same stops, Exact same weather, exact same traffic, exact same pieces.

That won't do either cause you can have same stops but different addresses. one customer easy dock, quick to sign, other customer docks always full, can never get a prompt signature.

Same amount of pieces wont do either causes you might have a high percentage of smalls and letters one day and next have majority bulk, heavy, Large, eregulars.

Way to many variables. They need to do a sporh with plus or minus at least 10%. Factories have production standards but give average of plus or minus 5-10%. I was a brake factory supervisor back in the day and have also worked in other factories held some leadman positions and they all had a plus or minus %.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Day two: 14.1, alot of area taken off down 10miles. The sup is a good guy, and hes easy to ride with. Got in at 615, that was nice, I would like them to ride with me forever.
Back to the crap rolling downhill.
Went 2 min over on break, peed once, got ice once, that was what I wrote off as lunch 10 min. And thats all they take out.
I explained that those restroom breaks are not suppose to be counted, as breaks, but "that is what he was told" and I know that so I humored him today.
I explained that I think it has already been challenged and you guys lost, and I think your bosses boss, and his boss and his boss know that, but weather blows west to east (on this side of the equator) and it hasnt made it here yet.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Your SORPH is set on the day you they send you out with 110 stops and 180 packages, the next day they tell you you can do 115 and 320 packages in the same time fame.

This is dumb beyond words, what ever happened to time studys?

John19841

This is about the only thing I like about being a cover driver....They can't and haven't ever tried to lock me into some production standard. Doing a different route every single day, imagine if they came up to me and said that "You did this route on Tuesday, March 13th and did 14 SPORH. Yesterday you did 13...What happened?" I'd just laugh and walk away.

tourists24

Day two: 14.1, alot of area taken off down 10miles. The sup is a good guy, and hes easy to ride with. Got in at 615, that was nice, I would like them to ride with me forever.
Went 2 min over on break, peed once, got ice once, that was what I wrote off as lunch 10 min. And thats all they take out.
I explained that those restroom breaks are not suppose to be counted, as breaks, but "that is what he was told" and I know that so I humored him today.
I explained that I think it has already been challenged and you guys lost, and I think your bosses boss, and his boss and his boss know that, but weather blows west to east (on this side of the equator) and it hasnt made it here yet.

tooner,,, you do realize that if you entered a 10 minute break that included restroom time, then you have just set that standard from now on? at least by the numbers they are going to arrive at....lol

bigblu 2 you

whatever they{lock you in at}will not be good enough in weeks ahead.the bean counters in corporate that have never driven and delivered just roll the dice with this stuff and many fall for it and loose{money,health,and respect}.just work safe and be fair.we were told years ago to keep it under an hour and it would be alright.now it scratch and nothing else.we have guys on the phone and in the office all the time asked to explain their over-allowed.some do and some dont but they all are still here.

bigblu 2 you

:knockedout:Why doesnt UPS do Three Day Rides in the winter????????
they pick the days and the time,that sounds real fair doesnt it?and believe it or not they sometimes 'fluff"loads and drop/add areas.of course its all in the attempt to get a 'fair' allowance for the driver,because ups is all about fairness,honesty and integrity.

hypocrisy

Banned

The way to handle the 'pottie time is break time' kindergarten nonsense is to take your full break the first time you need to use the restroom during the day (15 min, 10 min whatever your Rider says). Break time "shall be uninterrupted" so do not take 5 min here, 2 min there etc.

Then, since you cannot begin your meal period until the 4th hour, use the restroom as necessary and do not code break unless directed to (and file a greivance).

Take your mealtime per contract, then take your second break immediately after (since one break shall be taken in the first half of the day, and the second in the second half of the day). Then use the restroom as necessary and file if he makes you code additional break time or unpaid time.

If the supervisor harasses or intimidates you with discipline for using the restroom after you have used your break time, file an OSHA charge.

It's 10:20 and you have 3 airs left and boy do I have to pee......

Jim Kemp

Like I have said many times on Brown Café. " I have seen them try this stunt on many drivers and I have never seen one, NOT ONE, ever get a warning letter much less terminated for performance". And I have been here over 30 years. Its just desperate supervisors trying to scare drivers.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
tooner,,, you do realize that if you entered a 10 minute break that included restroom time, then you have just set that standard from now on? at least by the numbers they are going to arrive at....lol
Actually no. He knows its bogus, its what they tell him to do so he has to do it. something had to be put in for lunch, so I gave 10, and not a minute more, as it is 1/2 hour and unpaid, I gained nothing sitting in a dangerous area, for another 20. I got to get home and paid for every minute I worked, over allowed, etc, didnt matter. I still would not have been over 9.5 so I will ask why I cant have this dispatch after my lock in ride is over. I just want to get home, I give a crap less about their numbers. the best advice I have heard so far, is I move too slow. No methods problems other than maybe moving packages up. Day 3 will be my heaviest historically day. I will be locked in at 13.6 to 14.2, same as before, and I wont sign it. I will usually beat it, and I will still be 1 hr late. Wasted 3 day ride in my opinion.

DS

Fenderbender
I think you will see this more specifically addressed in 2013.

DS, I thought they had to do a 3 day ride before asking you to sign a lock-in SPORH.

I asked the steward this,and he said the information is from a virtual time study and if I do refuse to sign it,
which I intend to,I will get my 3 day ride...I'm ok with that.

klein

Für Meno :)
Hopefully everyone in you hub does the same - that will take the 3 day rides into the winter months ! hehehe !

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I asked the steward this,and he said the information is from a virtual time study and if I do refuse to sign it,
which I intend to,I will get my 3 day ride...I'm ok with that.

Attitude is everything when dealing with production harassment.

Your attitude about a "3 day ride" should be....."hey, bring it on. Lets go. If you want a certain SPORH, then come on out of that office and demonstrate it. If push comes to shove I can make you a lot more misrerable than you can ever make me."

Never forget the fact that, in most cases, the person riding with you is totally incapable of living up to the expectations that they are trying to place upon you.
They do what they do because they cant do what you do, and deep down inside... they know it. Dont hesitate to remind them of this uncomfortable little truth whenever you get the chance. The entire pupose of the three day ride is to intimdate and harass you into working off of the clock so that you can live up to their idiotic and impossible production expectations. Dont be intimidated and dont show weakness. Know your methods, know the contract, and put the pressure on them to justify why they are even worthy to be supervising you in the first place.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
The thing about now using SPORH as the gold standard for our day is this, it kind of proves the point that the time studys are all BS too, since UPS is now saying even they dont belive their own time studys. SO for all the time they beat us over the head for paid over days, they are now saying they didnt know what the heck they were doing.

Now if UPS is admitting they have no clue how to do a time study, why should we belive now they have any idea as to what sporh should be day to day.

Griff

The thing about now using SPORH as the gold standard for our day is this, it kind of proves the point that the time studys are all BS too, since UPS is now saying even they dont belive their own time studys. SO for all the time they beat us over the head for paid over days, they are now saying they didnt know what the heck they were doing.

Now if UPS is admitting they have no clue how to do a time study, why should we belive now they have any idea as to what sporh should be day to day.

I promise you management does not look at it this way. Here is their perspective, they still believe "over and scratch" are accurate measurements but they are using another mystery number to make them look flexible and less rigid. It's about "accountability" -- getting rid of people or at least building a case to attempt it. It's the new UPS, hold the driver accountable for everything and management for nothing. When they do all these ridiculous add/cuts in the morning most of the time the ignorant friend/T supervisors forget to tell drivers what extra pickups they have -- so naturally nobody picks them up. International, next day air stuff sitting out on someones dock all night and weekend -- great business decision there. No manager got a warning letter or suspension for that one, it's their company we just work here, let them run it straight into the ground.