Spring Peak?

QKRSTKR

That's why they call it work.

What? what's called work, Mon-Fri? Or the no life? I know a lot of people who work and still have a life Mon-Fri. With our hours we don't have much of one. What the hell is there to do when u get off or home @ 8 or later? I don't have a problem working, or working overtime, but excessive is getting a bit crazy. The whole point of the thread was spring peak, I gave my 2 cents. I didn't say it's not as fun as I'd like it to be. Or I hate going in. Then maybe the "that's why they call it work" would have made sense.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you work out of a city area with a fair commute, I'd rather work until 7 or 8pm and get paid than get out at 5 and sit in traffic until 7. ;D

browniehound

If you work out of a city area with a fair commute, I'd rather work until 7 or 8pm and get paid than get out at 5 and sit in traffic until 7. ;D

Thats how it is for me. The earlier I leave, the longer it takes for me to get home. Its why 8 hour letters are useless to me. My 20 minute commute turns into 1 hour and 20. Better just to stay at work and get paid or take the whole day off.

brownelf

we've been working 10+hr days for awhile, seems there's just not enough volume(yeah right)for the guys in IE to allow more routes to be built. It's getting worse as the 9.5 grievances increase, as the extra work ends up on the guy next to them who hasn't filed. Our accident rate is beginning to increase also, but according to the center manager fatigue is not an issue. Don't even get me started about the POS P800's from the 80's (no power steering/narrow door/22" step) that are replacing the P1000 trucks (w/power steering and lower step) that are being scrapped. What we really need is some new P1000 trucks, what we're getting is one of those new P700. The telematics in most of our trucks is worth more than the truck itself. It's a shame that Atlanta is so out of touch with reality.

old levi's

blank space
What? what's called work, Mon-Fri? Or the no life? I know a lot of people who work and still have a life Mon-Fri. With our hours we don't have much of one. What the hell is there to do when u get off or home @ 8 or later? I don't have a problem working, or working overtime, but excessive is getting a bit crazy. The whole point of the thread was spring peak, I gave my 2 cents. I didn't say it's not as fun as I'd like it to be. Or I hate going in. Then maybe the "that's why they call it work" would have made sense.

Could you afford your present situation if you punched out at 1700 everyday? What is it that you want to do after work that is so important? Did you think you would be working 9-5 when you took the driving job?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Could you afford your present situation if you punched out at 1700 everyday? What is it that you want to do after work that is so important? Did you think you would be working 9-5 when you took the driving job?
I dont think anyone expected to punch out every day at 5. I also do not think everyone expected to work 10 hrs every day, or more, for yrs. There are many people who work hard 9-5 and occasional overtime, who have very nice quality of life. For a few of us, we should have found those jobs, but didnt.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thats how it is for me. The earlier I leave, the longer it takes for me to get home. Its why 8 hour letters are useless to me. My 20 minute commute turns into 1 hour and 20. Better just to stay at work and get paid or take the whole day off.

Yeah, unless you can find a few errands around the building. That is what I used to do in the AM....leave at 6:30 instead of 7:30, because I'd be late route 3 south after 7:30am. Find something to do for a half hour or hour in the AM like read a paper instead of staring at a sun glare and someones bumper.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes--it is called living within your means. I learned a long time ago to budget based on 40 hours and that anything beyond that was gravy. What I do on my own time is my concern. I have never worked a 9-5 job so the hours here did not surprise or upset me.

satellitedriver

Could you afford your present situation if you punched out at 1700 everyday?
Easily.
What is it that you want to do after work that is so important?
Eat, drink and be merry.
Did you think you would be working 9-5 when you took the driving job?
I liked the fewer hours, when I chose to work at UPS.
Pulling 12hr days, six days a week was a cake walk when I was in my early 30's.

browned out

Bingo! Its as simple as this.

Volume and stops per car are probably as high as they ever have been in April. Think of all the resis delivered that are now multiple package stops. Today I had at least 10 residential stops with 4 or more packages from different shippers, so UPS is getting 4 delivery revenue for 1 resi stop.

Watch UPS blow out the quarter when the announce the first quarter results in late April.

browned out

That is why we are no where near overpaid. We work our asses off at a high pressure, long hour job. If anyone works as hard as we do, with as much stress and pressure put on us plus the long hours; they would have no trouble making as much $ as we do.
You could open up a dog sh t cleaning up biz and work 11 hours a day at a UPS pace and make what we do here including benefits.