Staggered warehouse times

AutoZone

BrownPower
And because a lot of the work doesn't arrive til XX:XX o'clock anyways.

When volume is light and feeders don't come in til 6:30 why are we gonna start everyone at 3:00? Always thought that was pretty easy to point as a big reason for staggered times.
Feeders are always in the same time! Lol

AutoZone

BrownPower
Your overthinking this show up when they tell ya Go home when they tell ya
It's really not that hard[/QUOT

Just a thought yesterday while I'm sorting and hearing my ft freaking out that they're about to miss the air times.. And common sense struck me.. Why not start an hour ago to not miss it? Or :censored2:, even 30 minutes earlier..

AutoZone

BrownPower
Are you guys really that lame with needing to correct warehouse to "hub or center"? We all know what the hell it means... Same :censored2:.. Get over it..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's because as the week goes on volume usually starts to drop. Monday is the heaviest day, requiring an early start time. If you start at 530 everyday and lack the volume to process you're never going to hit your PPH number, staggering start times allows us to hit it.

We start early on Mondays because most, if not all, of the loads, plus the air, are already on property.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Are you guys really that lame with needing to correct warehouse to "hub or center"? We all know what the hell it means... Same :censored2:.. Get over it..
God forbid I call the package car a truck.. Or the feeders a trailer... Or a feeder driver a truck driver..

Because ups has its own terminology for its methods and equipment. They've been around over a hundred years and it seems to work. Learn the correct terminology. It's not "brown jakes parcel service ".

Are you trying to reinvent the wheel at ups? What's the ups terminology for" PT seasonal idiot who thinks he will be a driver by next year but doesn't know the correct terms of the job "called?

Are you going to invent your own methods too when you get on a package car?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You're not understanding it if you think it allows time for deadlines. Look at it this way. Say you have a thousand packages to process and 4 guys. One hour of processing gives you a PPH of 250. So you start at 6 and pull at 7. If you started at 5 your PPH would be 125. You missed your goal by 50%. It's a balance. Yes it would be wonderful to start early and not have to rush. But if the volume isn't there and you're going to waste money by sitting around, it doesn't work.
And yet the OP called you an idiot supervisor who should go make $13/HR somewhere else and he can't understand these concepts.

Isn't it adorable how the hiring standards for UPS have declined? I remember when it was actually hard to get hired on. Now you can get a job, quit, come back and still get rehired, not understanding how the operations work.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
And yet the OP called you an idiot supervisor who should go make $13/HR somewhere else and he can't understand these concepts.

Isn't it adorable how the hiring standards for UPS have declined? I remember when it was actually hard to get hired on. Now you can get a job, quit, come back and still get rehired, not understanding how the operations work.
He can say all he wants. But I'd probably be the most easy going supervisor he'd ever have at this company. I thought I knew everything too.

I can't really speak for the the hiring before. HR has sent me crap candidates ever since I started in management. The difference is in how I screen them.