Stairs

wily_old_vet

what Iwas saying was if normal delivery has been downstairs i'm not taking those boxes upstairs for them because they don't want to do it. However if you make normal deliveries upstairs then yeah they go upstairs.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPSmeoff said:
I got a fever......and the only prescription is..................MORE COWBELL!!
I thought that snl skit was hilarious, especially the way Will Farrell had on those low rise pants that were 2 sizes too small with his belly hanging out.

:rockon:.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
I had a dentist renovate a Victorian home with his office on the 3rd floor--no elevator.He rec'd supplies evrey Weds and expected them to be carried up to his office on the 3rd floor......................he had the cutest--sweetest receptionist was was very appreciative----it was hard to say no----------but normally it was ground floor--inside the door!

traveler

Where next? Venice
upsdawg said:
......................he had the cutest--sweetest receptionist was was very appreciative----it was hard to say no---------
-

I remember an office manager that I knew always hired women of this description. His theory was, "No matter how bad a day you may have, you could always look out into the office and smile." I guess that's not politically correct anymore but it sure is still true! ;) :eek: :devil:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Wow, how much time do you have to have on your hands to go back 6 years to find something to post about...........

d

rod

Retired 22 years
I would have called the center for someone who thinks they are in charge, turned the phone over to the customer and let those two argue it out. If management says deliver it up stairs-- go for it (one box at a time)---you get paid by the hour. It never hurts to put the ball in their court--that way when the numbers aren't looking good they can yell at that hoser in the mirror.

ideliver2u67

20 Down
I agree with toonertoo. I had a dentist office that got 25 cases of latex gloves. they said seeing as how there are only women here, while they are on the cart, can you take them upstairs. Narrow and steep. I told them, UPS has told us that if we get hurt delivering where we shouldnt, we are not covered under COMP. And we would have to go after the business. I apologized, but they understood.

UPSmeoff

6 years later and i still don't want to carry bulk stops up stairs.
Hey Danny, guess how much cabbage i got this last Christmas.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I bring the packages to the designated delivery point. I will make reasonable exceptions to that rule if there are a bunch of heavy, bulky packages on my handcart and the customer asks me to wheel them a short distance to a storage room, office etc. It is the customers responsibility to maintain a clear and unobstructed path to whatever delivery point they choose, and it is not my responsibility to spend 10 minutes moving someone elses clutter or junk out of a hallway so that I can get through.

thessalonian13

I have to agree with Vette on this one, all we have left is service to gain and maintain the customers. I have a particular stop on my route that receives numerous cases of paper on regular basis and I carry them up the two flights of stairs to their office without a complaint and always a smile. They had received their paper via Fed Ex for awhile but the driver refused to bring it up the stairs and left it at the bottom, as a result of this they then insisted that their office supplies and for that matter all items that they recieve be shipped through UPS only and the Fed Ex guy never stops there anymore. In my opinion going the extra mile for a good customer can be more effective than a sales lead in many circumstances. I am not saying that you have to do this sort of service for every customer you deal with, as some will ask you to do things just because they are lazy, but most drivers can tell whether a customer is taking advantage of them or not. As far as not having the time to give proper service because of the time constraints put upon us all I have to say is who cares, I take care of my customers long before I worry about the ridiculous standards that are expected of us, if I run an hour or more paid over but my customers are left satisfied I can live with that. JMHO
Let's see if you feel that way in a few years when your back and your knees are shot.... I would rather have the fedex driver ruin his back and knees delivering paper and pottery barn than me. I know it's harsh, but it's my health.

Non sequitur

I have a knee injury because I didn't have the brains to tell customer I can't deliver your 30, 30lbs boxes to the second floor. This happened 5 years ago, I went to the clinic and the hack Dr. said the xray looked fine-no swelling. I didn't have the brains to push for a mri and so now my knee is killing me. I guess ups trained me well.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Not all stops are created equal. Everyone has been asked to go above and beyond at times but 30 dollars an hour buys a lot of beyond. Service is what separates us from the Riff Raff and we all know that. I do not know what kind of drivers you guys are but 30 pounds is not that much. Heck you still have another 40 before help and another 120 before our limit. Any driver who has been on their route long enough could tell exactly where everything goes. I have business's that only get paper through UPS cause I will wheel it to their store room, and other places get surgical gloves that I take to their medical office, and so on. Now if people are rude that is a separate issue but for normal customers there is nothing wrong with showing them why it is that they should always choose UPS. And for 20 year veterans, I do not want to hear it. You have the seniority to choose a different route if the dentist office on yours is to difficult to get delivered.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Hauling a load of packages up a flight of stairs is an inherent part of the job.

The problem comes when the customer decides that you are going to be their stock person and that your job is to distribute the packages to different points in their building according to what the contents are. That isnt fair to my other customers who are waiting for their packages.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hauling a load of packages up a flight of stairs is an inherent part of the job.

The problem comes when the customer decides that you are going to be their stock person and that your job is to distribute the packages to different points in their building according to what the contents are. That isnt fair to my other customers who are waiting for their packages.
And it's not always easy getting them to understand that. :dissapointed:

barnyard

KTM rider
Thats what I tell them especially resis. I tell them if I go up or down the stairs, then I am going against policy, then If I get hurt I am not covered, so I would have to sue them. That usually ends that conversation.
Unless it is someone who truly needs something put out of their way, like elderly or disabled. And fat and lazy isnt a disability.

That is how I handle resis.

I had a resi that received 6-8 boxes of Nestle's liquid stuff (the stuff that cancer patients get when they are on chemo). When it was nice out, I went up the front, wooden stairs, across the wooden deck and wheeled it into the house. When it snowed, I told the owner that I would not pull the cart up the steps or walk on the deck because of the ice. She called and complained. My boss called her back and supported my position.

She bitched the next 3 or 4 deliveries. Then, one day, as I was coming up the driveway, the garage door opened in advance and I just wheeled right through the garage and into the kitchen. The owner apologized for arguing with me and calling to complain. She said that over the holidays, someone else slipped and fell off their deck and broke their leg (which is what I said I was worried about.) I told her that I was sorry to hear that and that it is rare that the worse case scenario plays out and that I hoped the person that fell healed well.

I felt bad arguing with her. Her husband was dying of cancer. Hard to tell someone in that position that you are helping them avoid a lawsuit.