Start orientation tomorrow, Kelly Services temp

gtc08

A lot of what was mentioned in the Peak time projections thread is correct.

Anybody with a pulse seemingly can walk in and get a job through Kelly. She interviewed me over the phone for 5 minutes and then said head on down to Fedex and fill out the app in there system.

There hiring 100 people out of the Shakopee, MN depot. Tomorrow orientation and road test, which is swerving in between cones in drive and reverse.

14.00 hr starting with time and half for OT.

These are supposedly the non desirable packages that the IC's dont want that we deliver. I don't care. My goal is to be out there 12 hrs a day until the end of the year.

6 days a week during peek, Mon-Sat.

Like another guy said, this is viewed by the IC's as an audition for possible future employment. I don't think I'm really interested in that, but who knows.

The regular IC's are also putting out ads like crazy, but this is a better deal as the IC's pay a flat rate and don't offer OT.

This is the probably the easiest and best temp job one can get if they want hours and good money, and just are looking for something temporary.

!Retired!

I like your viewpoint. Take what you can get for as long as you can get it. And if they offer you a FT job, you at least have a taste of what you'd be doing. Wish you luck.

HomeDelivery

well, is EXPRESS hiring temp drivers at a higher rate than UPS's $16.40 per hour plus OT?

if they try to push me out of the hourly pay temp job & into one of those contractors, i'm going to have to switch to browns

gtc08

No offense but $14.00/hour is not good money...

good enough for me for a temp job. so is that 21.00 hr ill be getting after 40 hrs.

Did the math and I'll bring home a little over 3k after taxes.

This is a supplementary job that I am interested in doing for 2 months, not forever.

​14.00 is fine.

gtc08

well, is EXPRESS hiring temp drivers at a higher rate than UPS's $16.40 per hour plus OT?

if they try to push me out of the hourly pay temp job & into one of those contractors, i'm going to have to switch to browns

Not sure, this is Fedex Ground. I did look at UPS and you have to drive a manual, which I don't like.

If i did anything at UPS it'd be the Driver Helper. They only make something like 10.00/hr though.

dezguy

good enough for me for a temp job. so is that 21.00 hr ill be getting after 40 hrs.

Did the math and I'll bring home a little over 3k after taxes.

This is a supplementary job that I am interested in doing for 2 months, not forever.

​14.00 is fine.

If you're happy with $14/hour, good for you. Just remember, there are guys out there doing the same job as you who are making close to double that. Just because you're seasonal, doesn't mean you should be taken advantage of.

gtc08

If you're happy with $14/hour, good for you. Just remember, there are guys out there doing the same job as you who are making close to double that. Just because you're seasonal, doesn't mean you should be taken advantage of.

Yea, but thats at UPS and they have years invested in the company. No new hire is getting 28 hr doing what I'm doing.

They also progressively raise it. So for example, if I do it this year and like it, I can come back next year and I'll get 15.00 hr. If I like it again, can come back the next year and make 16.00 hr.

dezguy

No idea. My location doesn't hire temp drivers.

Yea, but thats at UPS and they have years invested in the company. No new hire is getting 28 hr doing what I'm doing.

They also progressively raise it. So for example, if I do it this year and like it, I can come back next year and I'll get 15.00 hr. If I like it again, can come back the next year and make 16.00 hr.

New hires where I am start out at just under $19/hour. They do the same job you'll be doing.

gtc08

Yes.

Also, does a portion of your pay not go to Kelly services as well?

No. That 14.00 is mine, which means they are probably charging Fedex 16.00-17.00 hr for me.

I looked online and the starting wages vary so much. I've seen anywhere from 13.50-19.00 an hr.

Either way it's not anything permanent. As long as I'm comfortable with it.

dezguy

have fun using DEX 01s yet again this peak! #sarcasm or maybe not!:peaceful:

yes, the temp agencies do take a cut out of that; it's why some areas are charging $14.25 and in other areas it's $13.75 or less

It's like I tell everyone I work with, you can only do what you can do. If I'm sent out with more than I'm supposed to have, it's my manager's fault that I have dex 01s.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I find it highly ironic that a temporary employee makes far more than a permanent Ground slug. Anyone else notice?