Start orientation tomorrow, Kelly Services temp

HomeDelivery

Yea, but thats at UPS and they have years invested in the company. No new hire is getting 28 hr doing what I'm doing.

They also progressively raise it. So for example, if I do it this year and like it, I can come back next year and I'll get 15.00 hr. If I like it again, can come back the next year and make 16.00 hr.

new temp hire at UPS starts around $16.40 per hour for a driver... they usually start at 8AM & be expected to be out there until 8PM or later as volume picks up... time & 1/2 will put them to $24.60 per hour ~ close enough for me!

i think that progressive pay scheme only applies after Thanksgiving to Xmas Day... got to look into that because i'm going into my 3rd year w/ my local temp agency... thanks for that reminder

Artee

well, is EXPRESS hiring temp drivers at a higher rate than UPS's $16.40 per hour plus OT?

if they try to push me out of the hourly pay temp job & into one of those contractors, i'm going to have to switch to browns

Express doesn't hire temp drivers. Never seen it in 21 years in all the places I have been. They might hire extra handlers toward the peak season, but I doubt any temp is going to come in and get behind the wheel of an Express truck.

Nick9075

I find it highly ironic that a temporary employee makes far more than a permanent Ground slug. Anyone else notice?

Thats true because the perm Ground slug you speak of probably doesn't get OT. Oh, I didn't know that an IC can just refuse packages over a certain number, I thought only an ISP could where the terms are clearly negotiated and they are the ones that get the real money. There is no money in owning multiple PSA's now if you aren't an ISP and it quickly is becoming a money losing either (headache or complete pain in the ass depending on the day) If you fail to deliver, defaults to DNA code which as the P&D manager says (is not good) and will affect your business and jeopardize your contract. I would advise the OP to work the 2 months and then get the hell out of there..

Nick9075

Express doesn't hire temp drivers. Never seen it in 21 years in all the places I have been. They might hire extra handlers toward the peak season, but I doubt any temp is going to come in and get behind the wheel of an Express truck.

so are these temps part of the so called 'ground assist' program which is mentioned in the packet with the peak threshold numbers ?? Does FedEx ground really use 'temps' to drive these trucks and risk getting into an accident, rear ending or not driving properly in stop & go traffic in NYC or any other of the multitude of issues that can happen?

STFXG

Thats true because the perm Ground slug you speak of probably doesn't get OT. Oh, I didn't know that an IC can just refuse packages over a certain number, I thought only an ISP could where the terms are clearly negotiated and they are the ones that get the real money. There is no money in owning multiple PSA's now if you aren't an ISP and it quickly is becoming a money losing either (headache or complete pain in the ass depending on the day) If you fail to deliver, defaults to DNA code which as the P&D manager says (is not good) and will affect your business and jeopardize your contract. I would advise the OP to work the 2 months and then get the hell out of there..

IC's can't refuse packages. You're responsible for everything. And I'm a multi PSA IC and I'm doing just fine... Not sure why you can't cut it as a contractor. You seem to be the exception, not the rule.

STFXG

Maybe because express isn't doing enough the rest of the year? Drivers are underutilized 11 months out of the year?

bbsam

Staff member
If I hired.a driver for peak, I would send them out with a couple bulk stops, about 40 stops up and down a main road and a bunch of pickups to free up my regular drivers.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If I hired.a driver for peak, I would send them out with a couple bulk stops, about 40 stops up and down a main road and a bunch of pickups to free up my regular drivers.

But would you pay them $14 per hour (plus OT), or would they make their usual pittance (with no OT)?

STFXG

And just how did you come to this conclusion?

The statement that express doesn't hire temp drivers. Ground and UPS hire seasonals. Seems logical that express would need them too. Unless the are underutilized the other 11 months of the year or the volume doesn't spike enough during peak. Since I know the volume spikes that leaves only one reason.

overflowed

The statement that express doesn't hire temp drivers. Ground and UPS hire seasonals. Seems logical that express would need them too. Unless the are underutilized the other 11 months of the year or the volume doesn't spike enough during peak. Since I know the volume spikes that leaves only one reason.

Express drivers are majority 4 days. They make everybody work their days off during peak. Inhouse temp driver if you will for the holidays.

MAKAVELI

Or maybe they just overload us to the point where we bring pkgs back. It has nothing to do with being underutilized. It's a numbers game management plays every year. 2- 3 weeks before Christmas is blocked out. With every full-time, part-time, and swing working they always believe it can be done until there is just not enough bodies or trucks. It really is ground hog day every peak.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You really don't have a clue, do you?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you had a clue you could come up with a logical argument once in a while.

You don't get it. Express should hire temps at peak, but they're too damned cheap. Operationally, it doesn't make sense to send people out with stuff that they're just going to bring back anyway. With all of the late freight, bad weather etc. at peak, it would be smart to at least hire some runners. But they're not smart, they're stupid. Customer service means nothing anymore over here.

HomeDelivery

Express drivers are majority 4 days. They make everybody work their days off during peak. Inhouse temp driver if you will for the holidays.

hmm, i thought that they try to keep your hours under the 40-hour mark until the sssssssssss hits the fan & the volume spikes...

then it's all-hands-on-deck based on operational needs & everyone will "temporarily" work up to the 70-hour DOT limits to have a nice paycheck for that very short time every year...