Start Preloading Tomorrow. Advice - On Topic Please

BananaCat

Congrats at the new job! I am a smoker too and do the preload. I brought nicorette with me just in case I need it. However, I'm usually too busy to even think about it. This is coming from a guy that smokes 2 packs a day. Even on a 10 hour shift with only 1 ten minute break during peak I don't get too many cravings.

If you happen to be loading instead of unloading, here's a few tips I've learned.

1) Try to keep the front shelves 1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 all in order with the PALs and do not put any of these in the back half of the truck. Having the back shelves in order doesn't matter as much.

2) Put your irregulars and heavy stuff under the belt or between trucks instead of loading them and tripping over them throughout the shift. Putting stuff under the belt instead of stacking on the truck bumper works a lot better. Don't put stuff over 40lbs on the top shelves.

3) Harass your sup to get your load charts and figure out where your bulk loads are going. I usually tape my charts to my 7000 shelf so I can look at it while going into the truck. Take note of empty spaces you have on the floor and on shelves so you can put bulk loads there. Tell your driver if you put stuff in odd places.

4) Lip load everything so you can catch misloads easier and packages won't go flying on the floor for the driver. When you start getting PALs with the same number you can put these packages behind ones with the same PAL. But, don't put heavy packages in back of light packages in front. Lip load the heavier ones and put light ones behind.

5) When you get better, you'll realize some PALs with the same number actually go to different addresses. If you can keep them separate it really helps out the driver.

6) Don't be afraid to stop the belt if you get a bazillion packages at the same time. The sups tell you to only turn off the belt for over-weights. I disregard this and will turn it off if a whole wall of packages has my name on it. Most of the time you won't need to turn it off though so don't abuse it either.

7) "Work the belt" at the front of your area as much as you can and try not to load 1 at a time. If you keep working at the back you will never make it. Stack your packages on the belt with the same truck number. I peel off the PALs and put them on the ends of packages when they're still on the belt.

8) Let your fingernails grow out a bit so it's easier to peel the PALs. Keep trimming them to keep em from breaking but don't cut them down all the way.

9) Leave hazmats on the truck bumper corners until you learn to load them properly. You won't get them too often.

10) Don't take it personally when the driver acts pissed off at you. I try my best but lots of drivers still get cranky at me when I'm not their usually preloader.

Savvy412

Big packages on the (floor) labels up pleaseeeeeee

Get your self some e cigs

go look up white cloud e cigs online..best e cigs out. Just get the menthol or non menthol..no stupid flavors

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Keep a couple of Aleves with you at all times .
Ask the sup for work gloves , and if needed a face mask to keep the dust out of your lungs .

KingCMO

Yeah I just realized :censored2: UPS.
I just got hired at a liquor store 10$ a hour 9 hours a day

Plus they treat you like :censored2:. Mexicans hate seeing your Friendly neighborhood white boy put in work.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

Plus they treat you like :censored2:. Mexicans hate seeing your Friendly neighborhood white boy put in work.

It is ok not everyone can work at ups.

wayfair

swollen member

giphy.gif

MendozaJ

Off the books? Let's see... $90/day, 5 days a week, that's $450 a week for a grand total of $23,400 a year. No job security, no health care, no pension, no credit, no idea if you'll get a raise. You're thinking small. A top rate driver that averages 50hrs/wk earns $103k/yr. You'll be back to committing felonies in no time.

KingCMO

Off the books? Let's see... $90/day, 5 days a week, that's $450 a week for a grand total of $23,400 a year. No job security, no health care, no pension, no credit, no idea if you'll get a raise. You're thinking small. A top rate driver that averages 50hrs/wk earns $103k/yr. You'll be back to committing felonies in no time.
Yeah because you know everything right. There's more to it. If I can survive in prison im sure I could survive at Ups. But you see there's multiple problems.

1. I'm not a driver
2. I'm gonna need a transfer in 3 months. Which they wouldn't be able to do for me
3. I will not commit any felonies because I work at a liquor store instead of Ups
4. You clearly know it all tho