Start time for GROUND

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I would agrree with that to a point. At my station, we have four belts. When the start time is later or we leave the building really late, three of the belt managers let everyone straight-line, but one manager forces her people to finish P1 first, no matter what time they leave or the weather conditions. She thinks she's going to be a SM someday, but we all know it's only in her dreams!!!

When there is a National Service Disruption, just how are you supposed to get everything done without straightlining? Our sort went down 2 hours late. If I'd done a P1 cycle, I'd have had massive Code 01's and a buch of missed pickups too.

FedExer267

So I went in later again today and this time I had the TM threaten my job. I asked him what the big deal was I have been able to get my route done and back in the building at normal time, I am not sitting out there waiting for awhile to do pickups. His response was that my customers need to get their packages as early as possible. I said to him wait a minute we are Ground and the commit time on packages is close of business. Most companies close at 5 pm and I have been back everyday before 5pm it has been light I don't want to sit out there and have to wait.

I told him when volume picks up I will come in earlier but for now it's not going to happen if he had a problem talk to my Contractor. He then said I had a crappy attitude and was on thin ice. quote (Ok I am confused I come to work and get the job done. I don't work for FedEx and when you decide to pay me by the hour with overtime I will do what you wish but right now it is not that way.)
I hopped in my truck and left. Curious to see if I have a job tomorrow and I tell you what if the TM tries to fire me I will have him in court yesterday.

bbsam

Staff member
If you care, you could tell me where you are located and have Contractor Relations climbing up the TM's rectum by 9:30 am.

bbsam

Staff member
It would go something like this:

Dear Ben (Contractor Relations manager in my area),

It has come to my attention that (name of TM) at terminal (terminal #) may be acting outside the parameters of the contract in his dealings with contractor's drivers. It has been reported that he is threatening the job of drivers even though service goals are reached and pickup windows are adhered to. As you know, this is highly inappropriate activity for a TM and the kind of needless disregard for the contract that has seen Fedex the target of government agencies and invasive legal proceedings. I bring this to your attention should you deem it reasonable to look into so that any corrective action may take place "in house".

Thank-you for your considerationa.
bbsam

LTFedExer

I would agrree with that to a point. At my station, we have four belts. When the start time is later or we leave the building really late, three of the belt managers let everyone straight-line, but one manager forces her people to finish P1 first, no matter what time they leave or the weather conditions. She thinks she's going to be a SM someday, but we all know it's only in her dreams!!!
They do ask us to do our bigger stops first. But, for me, all my stops are big (I do a bulk AM rte).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So I went in later again today and this time I had the TM threaten my job. I asked him what the big deal was I have been able to get my route done and back in the building at normal time, I am not sitting out there waiting for awhile to do pickups. His response was that my customers need to get their packages as early as possible. I said to him wait a minute we are Ground and the commit time on packages is close of business. Most companies close at 5 pm and I have been back everyday before 5pm it has been light I don't want to sit out there and have to wait.

I told him when volume picks up I will come in earlier but for now it's not going to happen if he had a problem talk to my Contractor. He then said I had a crappy attitude and was on thin ice. quote (Ok I am confused I come to work and get the job done. I don't work for FedEx and when you decide to pay me by the hour with overtime I will do what you wish but right now it is not that way.)
I hopped in my truck and left. Curious to see if I have a job tomorrow and I tell you what if the TM tries to fire me I will have him in court yesterday.

The TM is simply treating you like an "employee", except that you aren't one. I'd contact my local Democratic representative and tell him/her what's happening at FedEx. Don't bother with a Republican, because they love Fred and his scam mentality. Many times, they can point you to the right person who can make things happen for you. You might also try talking with an attorney through your local American Bar Association. You can usually get a free 30-minute phone consultation even if you cannot afford to retain an attorney on your own. This is how many practicing attorneys complete the pro bono requirements of the job, and also a great source of potential clients. I've done this several times, and have always received sage counsel...for free.

The real payoff for contacting an attorney would be their possible interest in making this a Class Action, which is where the big money is to be found. Nothing catches the attention of a lawyer quicker than the potential for a huge legal payout. A labor attorney would be your best choice for the original consultation, but even a local Elmer Fudd can smell a rat that has deep pockets. There's no bigger rat in the sewer than Fred S. Happy hunting!!

FedExer267

It would go something like this:

Dear Ben (Contractor Relations manager in my area),

It has come to my attention that (name of TM) at terminal (terminal #) may be acting outside the parameters of the contract in his dealings with contractor's drivers. It has been reported that he is threatening the job of drivers even though service goals are reached and pickup windows are adhered to. As you know, this is highly inappropriate activity for a TM and the kind of needless disregard for the contract that has seen Fedex the target of government agencies and invasive legal proceedings. I bring this to your attention should you deem it reasonable to look into so that any corrective action may take place "in house".

Thank-you for your considerationa.
bbsam

So let me ask you this bbsam apparently this TM has told drivers that it is in the Contract that the TM of the building can fire you if he feels the need to. Is this true?

FedExer267

The TM is simply treating you like an "employee", except that you aren't one. I'd contact my local Democratic representative and tell him/her what's happening at FedEx. Don't bother with a Republican, because they love Fred and his scam mentality. Many times, they can point you to the right person who can make things happen for you. You might also try talking with an attorney through your local American Bar Association. You can usually get a free 30-minute phone consultation even if you cannot afford to retain an attorney on your own. This is how many practicing attorneys complete the pro bono requirements of the job, and also a great source of potential clients. I've done this several times, and have always received sage counsel...for free.

The real payoff for contacting an attorney would be their possible interest in making this a Class Action, which is where the big money is to be found. Nothing catches the attention of a lawyer quicker than the potential for a huge legal payout. A labor attorney would be your best choice for the original consultation, but even a local Elmer Fudd can smell a rat that has deep pockets. There's no bigger rat in the sewer than Fred S. Happy hunting!!

I love to hunt and I am a good shot too so it may be fun.. Just tired of this crap.

whenIgetthere

When there is a National Service Disruption, just how are you supposed to get everything done without straightlining? Our sort went down 2 hours late. If I'd done a P1 cycle, I'd have had massive Code 01's and a buch of missed pickups too.

Day routes at our station don't do regular pick-ups, only early close on-calls, so missed pick-ups aren't a problem in this scenario. The SM is so worried about PM routes making SPH that he wants all pick-ups done by PM routes, except those stops which close before the PM route hits the road. I sometimes cover a PM route which goes on road at 1530, and has three 1600 closes 15 miles from the station!!! Now, this managers area is the fours towns right around the station, the furthest any of her routes go from the station is about 10 miles. She wants P1 done first, then they can straight line P2. A few times she didn't even tell her employees about a service disruption, they only found out at courier check-out when the rest of us mentioned it!! She wants to look like the hero to district, so she does things the other managers wouldn't do. Of course, I have heard stories about what a bad courier she was when before she sold her soul and became an ops manager!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I love to hunt and I am a good shot too so it may be fun.. Just tired of this crap.

Go for it. Someone needs to feed the sharks. I am positive that you aren't the only one who is getting this type of pressure from FedEx personnel because the local Ground people in my area have the same issues. The contractor is only there to make it look legitimate.

FedEx2000

Day routes at our station don't do regular pick-ups, only early close on-calls, so missed pick-ups aren't a problem in this scenario. The SM is so worried about PM routes making SPH that he wants all pick-ups done by PM routes, except those stops which close before the PM route hits the road. I sometimes cover a PM route which goes on road at 1530, and has three 1600 closes 15 miles from the station!!! Now, this managers area is the fours towns right around the station, the furthest any of her routes go from the station is about 10 miles. She wants P1 done first, then they can straight line P2. A few times she didn't even tell her employees about a service disruption, they only found out at courier check-out when the rest of us mentioned it!! She wants to look like the hero to district, so she does things the other managers wouldn't do. Of course, I have heard stories about what a bad courier she was when before she sold her soul and became an ops manager!!

I understand routes vary, but since those other workgroups were allowed to straightline shouldn't they have been in long before you? If you had to still try to make service and got in the same time as they did, there is a problem......unless we are talking about just a few routes.

bbsam

Staff member

So? Out with it now. Confirm what I have said over and over. Regardless the bluster and bloviating, terminal staff are actually quite neutered. Because the contract holds them accountable. Yep. Maybe there is something to the contract afterall, no? Either way you can't bring it up and then not follow up on the eventual outcome.

FedExer267

Tell then they are neutered. Yes I dont have to do what they say they can talk to my Contractor however bbsam that doesnt keep them from yelling and threating us. We all know they cant do anything but does this not constitute for harasment. It gets old, I am not sure what the power trip is they are on, it should not matter as long as I get my job done. That being said the TM can disallow a driver from coming into the terminal which when you think about it, its the same as firing because if you cant get in the building how can you do your job. This is ultimatley no sweat off the TM as he is not the one that will have to pay unemployment. I can see them disallowing anyone for workplace violence but if its for nothing more than he doesnt like you because you will not bow down to him, then there is a flaw in the system. Disallow me all you want I will see you in court because I dont work for you.