Started driving before official peak, 30 days question?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I started driving full-time October 15 by myself. I was told by a sup that I couldn't start my thirty days til after peak. Even though I started before official November 1st peak, shouldn't I be on my 30 days currently. I don't want to file a grievance but I will for my rights. Any thoughts, thanks

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The free period begins October 15th and runs through December 31st (Jan 15 under the new contract). During this time, the days you work do not count towards your 30 days.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The free peiord varies from supplement to supplement. Ask your shop steward for a copy of the current contract (not the one that is pending) or ask if he/she knows when the free period is in your local.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here if you start working before the free period starts you those days worked during free period will still count. You won't gain seniority until the first day you work after the free period but your seniority will go back to the first day you worked. If you start during the free period then those days won't count. So of course UPS will delay starting new people until after the start of free period.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
As UpstateNYUPS said.... it varies based on the supplemental language.

In the Central Region, the free period doesn't start until November 1st.

Also, it depends on if the OP was hired as a permanent or seasonal driver.

If seasonal, he can't gain any seniority during the free period.

And, it is worth noting.... that if hired as seasonal.... he has to sign paperwork acknowledging that.

In the Central, if he was hired as permanent.... he would accrue seniority from the day he started.

-Bug-

PT Car Washer

In my the building the practice for the last few years has been to try out people as seasonal and then just keep working them after the free period is over. Gives the company the opportunity to pick and choose who they want and keep the PTers in the hub from having a chance at FT.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In my the building the practice for the last few years has been to try out people as seasonal and then just keep working them after the free period is over. Gives the company the opportunity to pick and choose who they want and keep the PTers in the hub from having a chance at FT.

It's really not as insidious, as that.

It started happening "around" 2006 or 07.

Sometimes, because of weather.... and the failed realization of internet shopping.

Hence, the new language (now) extending it until the 15th.

Previous years.... they had to ask every Local, for permission.

-Bug-

Here if you start working before the free period starts you those days worked during free period will still count. You won't gain seniority until the first day you work after the free period but your seniority will go back to the first day you worked. If you start during the free period then those days won't count. So of course UPS will delay starting new people until after the start of free period.
No........they would never do that!:bsbullf::bsbullf: