Started working at Fedex ISP, it's everything you said it would be unfortunately.

So after making this post: About to start job at Fedex ISP looking for insight. and getting a lot of good advice I just finished up my first week of training at the Fedex ISP. Almost everything mentioned in that thread was scary accurate.

My training was done by a former route owner who has given me a lot of inside information surrounding Fedex and the state of the game as it is. From what I gathered so far, USP dislikes Fedex and I can understand why. Fedex seems to have adopted a belief in a "focus of the bottom line," as a poster stated in my previous thread, the fact that my trainer mentioned that Fedex ISP's are routinely suing Fedex for multiple millions of dollars over bad business practices and that Fedex settles instantly in most cases where ISP's band together is a little disturbing. They mentioned how Fedex pays the ISP bottom dollar for each package while they charge the customer top dollar and keep most of the profit for themselves.

Going into how UPS maintains a union and that they are able to maintain higher quality work conditions because of it while Fedex just doesn't really care was very surprising to hear. They said that Amazon essentially copied Fedex's business structure on focusing on the bottom line since it was netting them so much profit and I believe that entirely after working there. Frankly it seems like the majority of thriving corporations are adopting this bottom line strategy. It makes sense that UPS would harbor ill will at the idea of their high quality of life work conditions being reduced to what Fedex is now.

Someone in my previous thread mentioned and I quote "Today with the introduction of the investor class they're focus is completely on the bottom line. Any slug they could get to work for nothing will do just fine. Any old piece of smelter bait is good enough for a truck. One that no single route guy would leave the terminal in and the investor himself would be scared scatless if he had to go out in it. But then again this is what X wanted.Let's just hope that they will continue to be blessed with an inexhaustable supply of it and the investor class goes broke."

It's a bit shocking how accurate that is. The vehicles are in very poor condition, the particular one I've been training in for the past week has a obvious exhaust leak which vents into the cabin from the shroud just between the driver and passenger, I'm a bit concerned for my health to be honest and although I casually mentioned it was causing me to feel light headed, there simply isn't another vehicle to train in as the one other that could be used is in the shop for repairs (which coincidentally also leaks fumes into the cabin). Should I be more concerned about this?

There's no gps, only a map which I'm sure can get the job done but probably not as efficiently as a gps. You have to either provide one yourself or use your phone. The truck I've been training in has no reverse camera which I'm not sure is legal.

Maybe this is part of the reason why the guy I'm replacing put in his two weeks within one month of working at this ISP? Yeah that was comforting to hear the first day of training. This guy apparently found higher paying work elsewhere and put in his two week notice just like that. To be honest I can't blame him from what I've experienced so far.

The work is essentially the same as what I was doing at Amazon except you're driving a real junker that is maintained with the lowest possible criteria. The pay looks like it will be lower than what I was making at Amazon. My health looks to be put at more risk if my ISP takes no action to put me in a vehicle with no exhaust leak which I'm unaware of how big of a deal I would have to make for them to take action. From my brief research it looks like sucking down diesel fumes is not beneficial to your health.

All in all this job was everything everyone in my previous thread said it would be and a bit more on top of that. Although I'm hard pressed to bring some income in at the moment and really can't consider leaving until I first secure another job I can't help but this my quality of life will be reduced the longer I stay here. I really want to work hard and make the most out of this situation but from what it sounds like is that it doesn't matter because there's always a warm body ready to take your place. It's just a real shame that such a well known company such as Fedex has built their increasing reputation on such a low end strategy. At one point does bestowing the minimum quality of life upon your workforce bite you in the butt?

Last edited:

dex 84

Using a map is more efficient than a GPS. They're not required to have a backup camera in all the trucks. Other than that you've pretty much seen it for what it is...

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Per OSHA, you can refuse to do the job if there's a danger to your health as with those diesel fumes. I'd contact OSHA as soon as possible and file a complaint.

After that get out ASAP.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So after making this post: About to start job at Fedex ISP looking for insight. and getting a lot of good advice I just finished up my first week of training at the Fedex ISP. Almost everything mentioned in that thread was scary accurate.

My training was done by a former route owner who has given me a lot of inside information surrounding Fedex and the state of the game as it is. From what I gathered so far, USP dislikes Fedex and I can understand why. Fedex seems to have adopted a belief in a "focus of the bottom line," as a poster stated in my previous thread, the fact that my trainer mentioned that Fedex ISP's are routinely suing Fedex for multiple millions of dollars over bad business practices and that Fedex settles instantly in most cases where ISP's band together is a little disturbing. They mentioned how Fedex pays the ISP bottom dollar for each package while they charge the customer top dollar and keep most of the profit for themselves.

Going into how UPS maintains a union and that they are able to maintain higher quality work conditions because of it while Fedex just doesn't really care was very surprising to hear. They said that Amazon essentially copied Fedex's business structure on focusing on the bottom line since it was netting them so much profit and I believe that entirely after working there. Frankly it seems like the majority of thriving corporations are adopting this bottom line strategy. It makes sense that UPS would harbor ill will at the idea of their high quality of life work conditions being reduced to what Fedex is now.

Someone in my previous thread mentioned and I quote "Today with the introduction of the investor class they're focus is completely on the bottom line. Any slug they could get to work for nothing will do just fine. Any old piece of smelter bait is good enough for a truck. One that no single route guy would leave the terminal in and the investor himself would be scared scatless if he had to go out in it. But then again this is what X wanted.Let's just hope that they will continue to be blessed with an inexhaustable supply of it and the investor class goes broke."

It's a bit shocking how accurate that is. The vehicles are in very poor condition, the particular one I've been training in for the past week has a obvious exhaust leak which vents into the cabin from the shroud just between the driver and passenger, I'm a bit concerned for my health to be honest and although I casually mentioned it was causing me to feel light headed, there simply isn't another vehicle to train in as the one other that could be used is in the shop for repairs (which coincidentally also leaks fumes into the cabin). Should I be more concerned about this?

There's no gps, only a map which I'm sure can get the job done but probably not as efficiently as a gps. You have to either provide one yourself or use your phone. The truck I've been training in has no reverse camera which I'm not sure is legal.

Maybe this is part of the reason why the guy I'm replacing put in his two weeks within one month of working at this ISP? Yeah that was comforting to hear the first day of training. This guy apparently found higher paying work elsewhere and put in his two week notice just like that. To be honest I can't blame him from what I've experienced so far.

The work is essentially the same as what I was doing at Amazon except you're driving a real junker that is maintained with the lowest possible criteria. The pay looks like it will be lower than what I was making at Amazon. My health looks to be put at more risk if my ISP takes no action to put me in a vehicle with no exhaust leak which I'm unaware of how big of a deal I would have to make for them to take action. From my brief research it looks like sucking down diesel fumes is not beneficial to your health.

All in all this job was everything everyone in my previous thread said it would be and a bit more on top of that. Although I'm hard pressed to bring some income in at the moment and really can't consider leaving until I first secure another job I can't help but this my quality of life will be reduced the longer I stay here. I really want to work hard and make the most out of this situation but from what it sounds like is that it doesn't matter because there's always a warm body ready to take your place. It's just a real shame that such a well known company such as Fedex has built their increasing reputation on such a low end strategy. At one point does bestowing the minimum quality of life upon your workforce bite you in the butt?

TLDR
How about the cliffs note version

Using a map is more efficient than a GPS. They're not required to have a backup camera in all the trucks. Other than that you've pretty much seen it for what it is...

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, I find it easier to have a GPS as a supplemental aid so I can focus on the road but it should never be completely relied on. I was just under the assumption that a backup camera was required since at Amazon some of my coworkers complained about the vans that didn't have them and said they were legally supposed to, they do come in helpful for aiding you in not hitting someone but again it's like gps and shouldn't be a crux to rely on.

You may just have a crappy contractor ... i had one, but looked to switching to a better middleman who paid better .

that pay sucks in your demographic . ps, u with another recently hired driver, jujitsuhero ?

Completed my first day of Driver Training. ~HD~

That's a possibility, I wasn't aware that the contractors could vary so wildly between their business practices but it seems like due to Fedex's own belief in the bottom line that these contractors have little to no reason to do differently. I'm unaware of what base that user works out of but I'm also based in Socal so it's possible.

Per OSHA, you can refuse to do the job if there's a danger to your health as with those diesel fumes. I'd contact OSHA as soon as possible and file a complaint.

After that get out ASAP.

I didn't consider this but that would seem to be the correct thing to do. If I were to do this if no accommodations could me made what would be the difference of just leaving in the first place (not that I would burn bridges just hypothetical)? To prevent the next guy that came along from having to be subjected to the fumes? I'm assuming that if I called OSHA my contractor would be more influenced to take action to fix the problem? As you mentioned however I should get out ASAP after that so by going that route I would be leaving immediately or just should start looking for another job?

TLDR
How about the cliffs note version

Forgot about that I'll do a TLDR.

Edit: Appears I'm unable to edit my original post.

dex 84

Backup camera definitely makes the vehicle a lot safer but I often have to use a vehicle without one myself and I just take that extra bit of precaution every time I have to back up. The best thing you can do is pay close attention when you swing the vehicle around to get a good look at where you will be backing into to see what is and isn't there.

As far as the map goes, if you're using it right then you can focus on the road moreso than you can with a GPS. Use it to set up your stops in the morning and then leave it in the back and refer to it when necessary. The longer you stay on that route the less times per day you'll be checking the map and then you'll really be just focusing on driving.

STFXG

At the end of your first day running solo there is an option when closing out your scanner for any defects on the vehicle. Mark the exhaust leak as a defect. The vehicle won't be allowed on the road until your contractor signs off that it has been repaired.

bacha29

At the end of your first day running solo there is an option when closing out your scanner for any defects on the vehicle. Mark the exhaust leak as a defect. The vehicle won't be allowed on the road until your contractor signs off that it has been repaired.
STFG is correct. Make a note of it at the end of the scan. If the contractor fires you you'll have a much stronger case to go after UC. You might be able to find a more reputable contractor in the terminal to work for. I saw numerous examples at my station where a multi route contractor fired a guy only to see the guy working for another contractor the very next day. That's how short handed they always are. Stay there long enough to get some bills paid, work the upcoming 6 day week holiday season. That's assuming that you'll get paid for that extra day..But if you are working for the typical contractor then remember whether you work 8 hrs or 13 hours in a given day it all pays the same.

It will be fine

You guys really like nuclear options. Have you tried talking to the contractor? Ask him to fix the leak then explore other options if he doesn't. That said, if after a day or two a new guy complained to me about a minor issue I'd probably let them go. If a new guy starts out as a whiner they aren't going to last long and it's better to cut ties right away.

Bounty

You guys really like nuclear options. Have you tried talking to the contractor? Ask him to fix the leak then explore other options if he doesn't. That said, if after a day or two a new guy complained to me about a minor issue I'd probably let them go. If a new guy starts out as a whiner they aren't going to last long and it's better to cut ties right away.
If the truck has an exhaust leak it was probably happening for a while and the contractor probably knew about it and did nothing about it. How about the contractor maintain his trucks.

It will be fine

If the truck has an exhaust leak it was probably happening for a while and the contractor probably knew about it and did nothing about it. How about the contractor maintain his trucks.
I've had minor ones. My drivers have said, "hey, the exhaust is seeping a bit into the cab. Can you fix it before it gets cold and I have to start driving with the door closed?" And I say, "No problem, when the other truck gets back from the shop we'll fix it."
If it was a new hire and he said he was filing a complaint with OSHA due to unsafe work conditions, I would say, "This isn't working out, have a nice life."

Backup camera definitely makes the vehicle a lot safer but I often have to use a vehicle without one myself and I just take that extra bit of precaution every time I have to back up. The best thing you can do is pay close attention when you swing the vehicle around to get a good look at where you will be backing into to see what is and isn't there.

As far as the map goes, if you're using it right then you can focus on the road moreso than you can with a GPS. Use it to set up your stops in the morning and then leave it in the back and refer to it when necessary. The longer you stay on that route the less times per day you'll be checking the map and then you'll really be just focusing on driving.

Yeah they all have their pros and cons no doubt and I'm sure the job can be done just as safely without these tools.

STFG is correct. Make a note of it at the end of the scan. If the contractor fires you you'll have a much stronger case to go after UC. You might be able to find a more reputable contractor in the terminal to work for. I saw numerous examples at my station where a multi route contractor fired a guy only to see the guy working for another contractor the very next day. That's how short handed they always are. Stay there long enough to get some bills paid, work the upcoming 6 day week holiday season. That's assuming that you'll get paid for that extra day..But if you are working for the typical contractor then remember whether you work 8 hrs or 13 hours in a given day it all pays the same.

Had no idea this was a thing, it sure wasn't brought up by anyone who's trained me so far and I'm sure for a reason. I can only imagine that them telling new hires about this feature considering the minimal maintenance these trucks are getting that it would cost them a pretty penny. Is it a possibility that I would get fired for using this feature? It is very unfortunate that we get paid the same no matter the hours we put in when the average day is 10 hours, really isn't a pay structure that makes you want to go the extra mile. That's pretty funny that guys shuffle around different contractors in the same building and it really shows how desperate they are for bodies like you said.

I have mentioned it to them and also the manager that oversees the routes, the thing is that's all I did, mention it. I didn't say I wouldn't drive if it wasn't fixed, I simply asked if their were fumes coming into the cabin while we were driving which they confirmed and after we got back I said I was feeling a bit off from breathing it in for 10 hours and they said if it continues to bother me to let them know. What. I have been in two different vehicles I should mention and the one I would be driving has significantly less fumes entering the cabin but was confirmed by a coworker training me that it gets much worse when the tank is topped off. The way they went about it surely insinuates that I'll have to make a big deal about it such as marking it on the scanner as mentioned above.

Agreed.

actually an exhaust should be a relatively easy fix.

From what I gathered it's from ill fitting shrouds in the cabin and possibly not from the exhaust itself though I'm not positive but that should be even more easy and less costly to fix.

I've had minor ones. My drivers have said, "hey, the exhaust is seeping a bit into the cab. Can you fix it before it gets cold and I have to start driving with the door closed?" And I say, "No problem, when the other truck gets back from the shop we'll fix it."
If it was a new hire and he said he was filing a complaint with OSHA due to unsafe work conditions, I would say, "This isn't working out, have a nice life."

I see where you're coming from, any reasonable employer would take such an issue seriously if it was brought up but I can see it being ignored as long as no one mentioned it, why spend money when you don't have to? I was assuming that if you went to OSHA to file a complaint that you wouldn't be planning on sticking around in the first place which I'm still wondering what the benefit would be of going that route if not just to save future drivers from the toxic effects of breathing diesel fumes for an entire work shift.

bacha29

The maintenance philosophy of most bottom feeding contractors is simply this, " don't fix it when it's broke, fit it when it quits running", with a management style known as "desperation management" . When the situation gets desperate enough they'll do something about it. So when you pass out from the fumes cross the center line causing a 9 vehicle pileup with 3 fatalities then the desperation level might start coming into view but I don't think that you'll be quite there yet. Not if you're not one of the fatalities,yet still get 99% service and make all of your pickups that day.

STFXG

Marking whether or not the truck has a defect is part of your post trip inspection. If there is a defect and you mark that their isn't you will be held responsible and can be disqualified as a driver. Mark anything wrong with the vehicle (lights out, low tread on tires (4/32" in the front and 2/32" in the back), windshield cracks, etc). Poor training won't get you out of a ticket or disqualified as a driver. It's your responsibility. Cover your own ass.

The maintenance philosophy of most bottom feeding contractors is simply this, " don't fix it when it's broke, fit it when it quits running", with a management style known as "desperation management" . When the situation gets desperate enough they'll do something about it. So when you pass out from the fumes cross the center line causing a 9 vehicle pileup with 3 fatalities then the desperation level might start coming into view but I don't think that you'll be quite there yet. Not if you're not one of the fatalities,yet still get 99% service and make all of your pickups that day.

It's really unfortunate that this is the way things are done and I can't help but think that it stems from Fedex's adoption of such a business structure that led to this style of "desperate management," like you mentioned. You're probably absolutely spot on that they won't change until something dire happens. Sadly even if they maintained the vehicles to a high standard you're still working overtime without overtime pay, getting way more volume than you should be getting to deliver, and are a pawn in a incredibly shady business structure simply deemed profitable by one of the largest companies in the world. I feel like I should have done my research before I jumped on board but, man, I didn't think it would be this bad.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Horrible conditions. Horrible.
It's not a bad career when you land in the right spot.
Spot on with the end of day safety report in the scanner. Mention it once, then enjoy a rental until it's fixed.
As you are "In the system" jumping to a better gig isn't much of an issue if your contractor sees to it to end your relationship.

Over a decade I've jumped around a bit and by hard work and some bit of luck I am in the best gig possible without owning.

The guy who hired me sold out about 5 yrs ago, and came back to work for my last contractor. He's just baffled how I was his manager for a bit, until I got my new gig... and now walk out of the building for the day at 9am.

It was a bit awkward to send him to spots on his original route that were out of his current area but I knew that he knew where they were. "Over there..behind the charcoal plant... hit it on your way in!"

But had the guy not had faith in me way back then, God knows where I'd be today, and that's pretty humbling.

Last edited:
Marking whether or not the truck has a defect is part of your post trip inspection. If there is a defect and you mark that their isn't you will be held responsible and can be disqualified as a driver. Mark anything wrong with the vehicle (lights out, low tread on tires (4/32" in the front and 2/32" in the back), windshield cracks, etc). Poor training won't get you out of a ticket or disqualified as a driver. It's your responsibility. Cover your own ass.

That's logical and I remember them really hitting hard to check for defects on the vehicle if not to provide proof if you were to ding a panel during your work day.

Horrible conditions. Horrible.
It's not a bad career when you land in the right spot.
Spot on with the end of day safety report in the scanner. Mention it once, then enjoy a rental until it's fixed.
As you are "In the system" jumping to a better gig isn't much of an issue if your contractor sees to it to end your relationship.

Over a decade I've jumped around a bit and by hard work and some bit of luck I am in the best gig possible without owning.

The guy who hired me sold out about 5 yrs ago, and came back to work for my last contractor. He's just baffled how I was his manager for a bit, until I got my new gig... and now walk out of the building for the day at 9am.

It was a bit awkward to send him to spots on his original route that were out of his current area but I knew that he knew where they were. "Over there..behind the charcoal plant... hit it on your way in!"

But had the guy not had faith in me way back then, God knows where I'd be today, and that's pretty humbling.

Glad to hear you found a good thing, I suppose if one were to weather out even this situation that you could find yourself in a better spot. With such a high turnover rate those that stick it out will probably be rewarded in some way or another. That's interesting to hear your contractor coming back like that.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
That's logical and I remember them really hitting hard to check for defects on the vehicle if not to provide proof if you were to ding a panel during your work day.

Glad to hear you found a good thing, I suppose if one were to weather out even this situation that you could find yourself in a better spot. With such a high turnover rate those that stick it out will probably be rewarded in some way or another. That's interesting to hear your contractor coming back like that.
His kids were daycare when he sold and his wife advanced in her career. Now they are in school, he's done by 2:30, making money and I suppose the payments of selling his single route ended. Great guy though. There's just an incredible amount of irony between when I started and today between the transition from single route to mega route owners.