starting as a ground driver tomorrow, what should i know?

halitzor

Hello all, I just took my drug test and physical today and I start training tomorrow. I've been reading some posts but I don't know what most of the acronyms mean! So I'm basically wondering what info you all think I should know as a new driver? Thanks!

STFXG

Close your bulkhead. Don't text or talk. Shut the truck off at every stop. Stay out of driveways. Double check the address before you deliver it. Wear proper uniform (no flip flops).

Did I hit all the stereotypes?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hello all, I just took my drug test and physical today and I start training tomorrow. I've been reading some posts but I don't know what most of the acronyms mean! So I'm basically wondering what info you all think I should know as a new driver? Thanks!

Apply for food stamps.

halitzor

No tattoos. This is just a winter job for me. I rehab houses during the warmer months but we shut it down for winter (Columbus Ohio), so the food stamps shouldn't be necessary! Thanks for the replies.

Good tip. I'll have to use my boots at first, luckilly they're comfortable and light. Any specific kind of shoes?

I like Sketchers myself. They are just high enough to cover your ankle , lightweight and have good traction. Trust me, if you have the wrong shoes you will know it. Going in and out of that truck, a few 100 times a day plus going up steps, to customer houses...............will take a toll on your knees and ankles!

!Retired!

Make sure you have a good pair of shoes. ...shoes can make or break your day.
I go through 5-6 pair of insoles before my shoes give out.
Good tip. I'll have to use my boots at first, luckilly they're comfortable and light. Any specific kind of shoes?
No. I wear black New Balance when it's nice out and my Red Wings when I need something waterproof. If/when your legs hurt at the end of the day, it's time for new insoles. They will wear out before your shoes/sneakers/boots do.

Good luck.

freelabor

Watch for peds.

Don't speed.

Scan mirrors.

Avoid backing as much as possible. if you have to, back first and don't forget to give the horn a few taps.

Keep bulkhead closed..

Streets are numbered odd on one side and even on the other.

You probably won't need a jacket, because as a ground or home delivery driver you're going to be jogging from your truck to the front door as much as possible LOL.

bbsam

Staff member
When you get to a loading dock at the same time as the UPS guy you should always let him go first.
That's true. They're cranky old guys with a warped sense of entitlement and a strong fear that you are taking their freight from them. (Note: you are.)