Starting my training route next tuesday, any suggestions?

barnyard

KTM rider
It would appear that you need to work faster/more efficiently and do it without a crash or injury.

We just had a guy DQd because he broke a mirror driving down a driveway. He said that he was 'only doing 25 or so.' I cannot imagine going that fast in a tree lined driveway.

Jimmyb31

I drove tractor trailers for 10 years before I decided to go to UPS. I've always been a very safe driver at and not at work. My last company (Sysco) used the 5 seeing habits as well so it's been in bedded in me for sometime now. I still watch every move I make. It's other drivers that worry me nowadays. Thanks for the info guys.

JB-Brown

Two weeks ago I passed the driver training school (4 days because of memorial day) and next week I'll be starting my training route. Anyone have any suggestions for what I should expect, and what will be expected of me during my probationary period. I really don't want to lose this job.
C U Next Tuesday

I drove tractor trailers for 10 years before I decided to go to UPS. I've always been a very safe driver at and not at work. My last company (Sysco) used the 5 seeing habits as well so it's been in bedded in me for sometime now. I still watch every move I make. It's other drivers that worry me nowadays. Thanks for the info guys.

JB-Brown
Good luck.

Jimmyb31

C U Next Tuesday
Don't hit anything don't get hurt, don't have late air, DONT scan anything during your breaks and be safe. You'll be ok. I'm in my 3rd week all I was told by my supervisor was don't get hurt or in a wreck, but other drivers have told me other things to watch out for. I know a guy who got DQ for not making it back in time to get his Air Pkgs in and he even called the center and told them he wasn't. So just watch every move you make. That's what I'm trying to do. Good luck.

JB-Brown

Don't hit anything don't get hurt, don't have late air, DONT scan anything during your breaks and be safe. You'll be ok. I'm in my 3rd week all I was told by my supervisor was don't get hurt or in a wreck, but other drivers have told me other things to watch out for. I know a guy who got DQ for not making it back in time to get his Air Pkgs in and he even called the center and told them he wasn't. So just watch every move you make. That's what I'm trying to do. Good luck.

JB-Brown
Good luck. If you sought out this forum for help you are already way ahead of the others you will be starting with.

novadriver

My sup said i need to scratch my route to qualify. i have alot of bulk stops and i usually finish hitting just businesses by 1pm. they only allow like 8.5 hrs to the entire 130 stops, plus i have 15 pickups and 2 apartment buildings. i gave up on trying to scratch the route i just focus on getting the job done. i hear theyr short on drivers and i dont move slow. a 25yr driver says my routes unscratchable so idgaf loll

turdbrown

JB-Brown
don't call in sick and don't be late. Get off of the clock asap. good luck

novadriver

My sup said i need to scratch my route to qualify. i have alot of bulk stops and i usually finish hitting just businesses by 1pm. they only allow like 8.5 hrs to the entire 130 stops, plus i have 15 pickups and 2 apartment buildings. i gave up on trying to scratch the route i just focus on getting the job done. i hear theyr short on drivers and i dont move slow. a 25yr driver says my routes unscratchable so idgaf loll
plus like 50 resi's ....

Re-Raise

There are places that veteran drivers save time that I see rookies lose time.

Most of this is the back of the package car. I try to keep the center clear enough that I can load several packages onto the cart and roll it right out the back door. I also put any package that has fallen into the proper place on the shelf so I don't have to look through the pile on the floor each stop. All of this has to be done with a sense of urgency. A driver told me one time to treat the back of the truck like the lane in a basketball game, you have to always be moving through it, not standing in it.

Another place you can save time is at the stop. On resi's pick a safe dr spot on the way up and go with it. On business stops find a person who will sign quickly so you can get moving. Don't be rude, but at this point you don't have the time to stand around anywhere.

One place you shouldn't try to make up time is behind the wheel. Safety is always first.

Good luck, we have all been in your shoes. A senior driver told me 25 years ago "You aren't the first one to ride that pony around here".

I get the feeling you will make it.

UPSGUY72

If you have to skip your lunch in order to get good enough numbers to make book do it. After you make it you can stick it to them by taking you full lunch and paid breaks. You still need to put your lunch in the board just don't take it.

Just don't get hurt, into a accident, or sign for any packages and show up a little early every day.

Romeofud

Sounds like you haven't driven yet. Good news is they break you in slowly. You may not drive the whole route until your 4th day. What was your job description?, before now and how long with ups.

I wouldn't say 4 days is breaking in slowly lol. I tried my luck with UPS. Maybe I'll try again in the not-too-distant future. For now, I'm doing city carrier at USPS and they have a similar method of breaking you in gradually. I did partial routes for days. Then 3 weeks ago, I did a half route and felt it was pretty challenging, not feeling confident I could ever handle delivering on an entire route but I was wrong! I've done several different whole routes in the past 2 weeks with great success but I found out you got to keep pace with the other guys. Don't work too fast or let management know you're done earlier than others or higher expectations will be placed on you and the rest. For example, I finished my carrier route yesterday at 3:45 and was expected to be done by 5. I took the rest of the time going to lunch and relaxing, then walked into the building pretending like I just got done lol. I'm sure other guys here at UPS knows how this goes.

By The Book

I wouldn't say 4 days is breaking in slowly lol. I tried my luck with UPS. Maybe I'll try again in the not-too-distant future. For now, I'm doing city carrier at USPS and they have a similar method of breaking you in gradually. I did partial routes for days. Then 3 weeks ago, I did a half route and felt it was pretty challenging, not feeling confident I could ever handle delivering on an entire route but I was wrong! I've done several different whole routes in the past 2 weeks with great success but I found out you got to keep pace with the other guys. Don't work too fast or let management know you're done earlier than others or higher expectations will be placed on you and the rest. For example, I finished my carrier route yesterday at 3:45 and was expected to be done by 5. I took the rest of the time going to lunch and relaxing, then walked into the building pretending like I just got done lol. I'm sure other guys here at UPS knows how this goes.
Yeah it sounds like a big difference in how fast you are expected to do the whole route. If a ups guy is done that early he will sneak in park his truck out back and have clocked out before he hits the counter. He won't sit out on pt so it doesn't look bad, he's getting the heck out of dodge. Good luck in your USPS job, at least your done around 5 pm.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Good attitude you'll go far

Sent using BrownCafe App

Good luck buddy I'm sure you will do good. Good footwear is very important! lots of water and food, if you find yourself going crazy stop and take 5mins and breathe and then start again

novadriver

today i worked thru my lunch and only had 13 resi stops to do after my 15 p/ups..im hoping i scratched.. sup made me sign something today sayn i was 2hrs over on friday,, maybe because i clock in at like 745 is why i am over so much each day