Starting this week in the local sort in Fort Smith,AR

jlstec87

Whats goin on guys? I'm starting at the local sort here this week. Just wondering whats the advantages/disadvantages to working local other than starting a dollar less.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Good luck, I always liked the local better because I am not a morning person so 330 or 400 is way to early to get up. The only thing about the local is it is alot hotter and make sure you bring lots of water and wear shorts. Maybe a little gold bond also...lol

jlstec87

I know about the gold bond. lol. I also work in a tire shop where its normally hovering between 90-100 degrees in there so the heat ain't gonna be anything new. I, like many others, am trying to eventually one day become a driver. I realize it may be years before I am even eligible, but I have a few buddies that work for UPS and say its worth it.

I originally went in and interviewed for preload, but they called me and said all they had open was local sort so I took it anyways. Do UPS employees get first dibs on open positions in other shifts?

shanp

I started with local sort (7 yrs) on to cover driver ( 3 yrs) and back to local sort to finish college. I've been there for almost 13 yrs! There are more technical jobs on local sort if you opt to step up for them. Just remember, all $#&*! flows down hill and the local sort is where it all ends up!

jlstec87

Well if and when I get a driver position I plan on sticking with that until I retire. I'm a college dropout that doesn't plan on going back anytime soon. This is the career I have chosen and am gonna bust my ace until I get it. Although if it means me having to take other jobs to get to that point then I'd be more than willing to do that too.

I already know it's gonna be a hard and trying few years, just from the interview. The guy put on the whole :censored2:bag role and tried to get under my skin and piss me off so I can already tell it ain't gonna be no cakewalk.

jlstec87

Well...Just got off my 3rd day on the job. The only thing I don't like so far is having to use those dang scanners when loading a truck. Other than that I'm pretty positive I'm on my way to becoming a LIFER.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Well...Just got off my 3rd day on the job. The only thing I don't like so far is having to use those dang scanners when loading a truck. Other than that I'm pretty positive I'm on my way to becoming a LIFER.

IMHO, local sort is the cushiest. You don't have to get up early, you have the whole day to do stuff, and you are generally done early enough to get your serious drinking in before the bars close.

I always hated working the preload....not a morning person at all.

The bad news would be if you had a SO who worked days, that would seriously cut into together time. Or if you had hobbies that required evening rehearsals or such.

See you in 30 years!