Starting to get paranoid.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Its our right as Americans to do stupid things and blow stuff up!

If I want to blow stuff up I will buy a couple pounds of Tannerite, take it to the gun club I belong to, and open up on it with my Mini Thirty. Beats fireworks all to hell, plus its SAFE and legal and I dont have to worry about setting the woods on fire. I'm not a big fan of fireworks; living in a state (Oregon) that is basically a giant, tinder dry forest fire waiting to happen in the summer tends to dull my enthusiasm for them.

texan

Oregon has fairly strict laws pertaining to the types of fireworks that are allowed. Sparklers and stuff that sits on the ground is OK, but bottle rockets, Roman candles and all of the big airborne stuff is illegal.

Problem is, that stuff isnt illegal in Washington...so all the fireworks stands on the Vancouver side of the river do a brisk business selling the dangerous stuff to Oregonians who take it all back home, act like idiots, and wind up losing fingers and eyes or starting roofs, fields and forests on fire.

If it were up to me, each town would set aside a designated area where these types of dangerous fireworks are allowed and there would be fire department and ambulance personell standing by to deal with any problems. Any use of dangerous fireworks outside of this area would continue to be illegal.
Yes they can be very dangerous.

But per below, we are almost ready to celebrate the 4th.

soberups

What I can see in your trunk looks legal here in Oregon. Lots of people here buy big packs of fireworks at the local stands, as long as they are the kind that sit on the ground and shoot sparks they are perfectly legal.

Its the Roman Candles and the rockets that go 100 feet up in the air and explode that are illegal here. And I am fine with that. Last year some drunk idiot in my neighborhod was shooting those things off and a couple of them landed on my roof. No big deal for me since my house has a metal roof, but the guy next door to me has a cedar shake roof that would have gone up in flames like kindling.

Be safe and have a fun 4th!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Oregon has fairly strict laws pertaining to the types of fireworks that are allowed. Sparklers and stuff that sits on the ground is OK, but bottle rockets, Roman candles and all of the big airborne stuff is illegal.

Problem is, that stuff isnt illegal in Washington...so all the fireworks stands on the Vancouver side of the river do a brisk business selling the dangerous stuff to Oregonians who take it all back home, act like idiots, and wind up losing fingers and eyes or starting roofs, fields and forests on fire.

If it were up to me, each town would set aside a designated area where these types of dangerous fireworks are allowed and there would be fire department and ambulance personell standing by to deal with any problems. Any use of dangerous fireworks outside of this area would continue to be illegal.

They are illeagel in Washington. But you can still buy them there because a clever group of people who read the laws and find the loop hole around them. That hole is certain reasons why you would " own " them. Alike Florida here, they are illeagel, but you can buy them. When you go those stores, they present you a paper to sign and a box section to check on why you are buying fireworks. Such examples are to scare away birds and varmits, or to legally have a permit to put on a show. Theres about 5-6 other reasons.

I always check the scare away birds and varmit. You can own them, but using them whenever for the hell of it is illeagel. And I think Washington has a strict law on them that you cant even use sparklers, fountains etc etc.

Such stores that offer these goods, example Phantom Fireworks : America's Fireworks Company. These guys are awesome.

As for your suggestion, a " designated area ". Thats a brillant idea! People can use whatever they want, and others can come out and get a free show out of it. I could even see people talking to each other like human beings again, and not on their damn phones all the time. Thats what America needs again, a good old fashion 4th.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Got to love them mortars! They have to be my favorite type of firework. You can take your time with them, or go full on sky attack. Plus the first sound of the cap going off always gets me going. You really turn back into a 6 yearold kid all over again.

soberups

They are illeagel in Washington. But you can still buy them there because a clever group of people who read the laws and find the loop hole around them. That hole is certain reasons why you would " own " them. Alike Florida here, they are illeagel, but you can buy them. When you go those stores, they present you a paper to sign and a box section to check on why you are buying fireworks. Such examples are to scare away birds and varmits, or to legally have a permit to put on a show. Theres about 5-6 other reasons.

No, they are not illegal in Washington.

I live in Oregon, about 45 minutes south of Vancouver WA where they are perfectly legal to buy. All you have to do to buy them is show ID to prove you are 18 yrs or older. I know this because in the past I have bought them myself. It is also perfectly legal to sell them to Oregon residents; no laws are broken until those Oregon residents drive back south over the 1-5 bridge into Oregon. Every once in awhile the Oregon State Police run a sting operation where they park an unmarked car in front of a fireworks stand in Vancouver, write down the license plate numbers of all the Oregon cars that buy fireworks, and then radio back across the bridge to have those cars pulled over as soon as they cross back into Oregon.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
No, they are not illegal in Washington.

I live in Oregon, about 45 minutes south of Vancouver WA where they are perfectly legal to buy. All you have to do to buy them is show ID to prove you are 18 yrs or older. I know this because in the past I have bought them myself. It is also perfectly legal to sell them to Oregon residents; no laws are broken until those Oregon residents drive back south over the 1-5 bridge into Oregon. Every once in awhile the Oregon State Police run a sting operation where they park an unmarked car in front of a fireworks stand in Vancouver, write down the license plate numbers of all the Oregon cars that buy fireworks, and then radio back across the bridge to have those cars pulled over as soon as they cross back into Oregon.

I've visited Washington a few times. My GFs parents live there. The time I visited, the second time, they had a ban on them because it was so dry that year. As in a ban on use of them. You still can buy them, but the state can issue a ban at certain times due to lack of rain or dryness.