State of the Union

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WESLA, Jan 21, 2015.

1. WESLA

WESLA It is what it is

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about our president referencing UPS in his State of the Union speech...
  2. OLDMAN3

OLDMAN3 Guest

I am surprised anyone would listen to him after the last 6 years.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

There has been discussion (if one uses that term loosely) in the Current Events forum in the thread titled President Obama.
  4. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Most boring thing ever. Best thing was Ginsburg falling asleep! Amazing how far the mighty can fall.

As far as the speech goes, the prez is totally detached from reality.
  5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I watched the speech and did hear the reference. The President spoke of how CVS and UPS are working with their younger employees to better their futures:

Thanks to Vice President Biden’s great work to update our job training system, we’re connecting community colleges with local employers to train workers to fill high-paying jobs like coding, and nursing, and robotics. Tonight, I’m also asking more businesses to follow the lead of companies like CVS and UPS, and offer more educational benefits and paid apprenticeships — opportunities that give workers the chance to earn higher-paying jobs even if they don’t have a higher education.
  6. ChrisTheBrown

ChrisTheBrown Active Member

I heard the reference too, was a bit surprised. He would make a good driver helper I think.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  7. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

8. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

Really!!! He never worked a day in his life. Ha. Ever see his hands??
  9. rod

rod retired and happy

No way. He would want off every week to go play golf.
  10. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

One of those companies was eBay, which Obama cited as an example of how “millions of Americans [are working] in jobs that didn’t even exist 10 or 20 years ago.” That now seems like an unfortunate choice, because less than 24 hours after Obama’s speech, eBay announced it was cutting 2,400 jobs, or about 7 percent of its workforce.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. toonertoo

toonertoo Most Awesome Dog Staff Member

And charging tax on sales. Thanks Obama
  12. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

And that 2400 jobs does nothing to dispel the fact that those millions of jobs didn't exist 10 or 20 years ago. Of course, that's the big picture of a massive economy and an economy that has continued to grow year after year.
  13. bottomups

bottomups Bad Moon Risen'

Guess there wasn't enough profit for Wall St.
    Dump on the little guy again.
  14. UpstateNYUPSer

Internet sales?
  15. laffter

laffter Active Member

Yes. I heard that it could be happening in the very near future. Currently, it is not.
  16. UpstateNYUPSer

I hope that an Internet sales tax becomes a reality. It would level the playing field for small businesses and national retailers.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  17. airintrace

airintrace Active Member

It would be a nightmare for business owners because shopping carts can't distinguish between the different rates of sales tax for all the counties in New York for example. The owner has to go in and figure out what went where by county and then enter that info in online to tax and finance each quarter when they pay their sales tax they collected.

Could you imagine having to do that for 50 states. What small business (mom & pop) could invest that kind of time to do that everyday. That in itself would be a full time job.

Also from my understanding it would affect business that gross over $500k a year but that is still a lot of mom and pops.
  18. UpstateNYUPSer

Do you have any idea how much sales tax revenue our states are losing to online sales?

NY has a base sales tax rate of 4% and each county adds their own (with state approval) to that number. It is 4% in the county I live in for a total sales tax of 8%.

NY income tax forms allow for self-reporting of Internet purchases for the purpose of collecting sales tax on those transactions. Very few people fill out that portion of their returns.
  19. airintrace

airintrace Active Member

If you don't fill it out quarterly and keep that money. It's illegal and they will find out and the repercussions will not have been worth it.

Also how do you propose that a business owner calculates every county and every state in America? Wh has that time or resource. This will drive a lot of mom and pops to say screw it.

Also why do we need to level the playing field so that Wal Mart or Amazon can be on the same level as as someone who sells pies online part time or some one occasionally selling on eBay. The bigs will turn these people to dust.
  20. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

How hard can it be to charge tax on a destination zip code? That's gotta be a pretty simple computer program.