Staten Island driver fund

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've been thinking about this since I first read the story, it could have been any one of us standing behind that package car. If that pizza place in Indiana racked up over $800k I'm sure the UPS community can do right by our brother.

MassWineGuy

I hope that everyone who learns of this can donate something, regardless of the amount. I urge my coworkers at FedEx to give, too.

My thoughts are with Tom, and my heart goes out to him and his family.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you want, I can ask my steward to ask a BA if they'll do this.

I imagine it won't be a problem, but I can make sure for you just in case.

Perhaps the local could ask for donations and send one check.

Perhaps those who choose to donate through GoFundMe can increase their donations by 8% to cover the processing fee. A $54 donation would give $4 to the site and $50 to the donee. (sp?)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Great results:
Tom Ryan Day 1 - 11K.jpg

oldngray

nowhere special
I am surprised the target is only 50k. That driver could definitely use more and many fellow employees would donate more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am surprised the target is only 50k. That driver could definitely use more and many fellow employees would donate more.

Take a moment to check out the gofundme website. There are many, many active solicitations, which can lead to "donor fatigue". I think they kept the target low so as not to scare off potential donors. I also think you will see the target adjusted based on overwhelming response.

oldngray

nowhere special
Take a moment to check out the gofundme website. There are many, many active solicitations, which can lead to "donor fatigue". I think they kept the target low so as not to scare off potential donors. I also think you will see the target adjusted based on overwhelming response.

I am very cautious about Gofundme in general because there are too many scams but this one is legit (or seems to be anyway).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I am very cautious about Gofundme in general because there are too many scams but this one is legit (or seems to be anyway).
Agreed and we researched this before allowing on BC.
It seemed a high probability since members of 177 were involved and donating.
That along with the high amount of publishing and reporting.

MassWineGuy

I'd much rather send money directly to the local so they can get it to Tom. All of it. If this gets arranged can someone please post information here?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I called my BA this morning and left a voice mail with a brief summary of the situation and to ask if the local would be willing to show their support by sending a donation ($100?). We have a union meeting on Saturday and I will follow up with him then.

TimeForChange

The target number endlessly and automatically will keep going up as donations add up. I saw that the "target" number was once $5,000 and later it showed $10,000. Petition signature gathering websites do the same thing. They keep moving the goal posts.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Asked my shop steward today to ask the BA's if the hall for 177 is accepting donations for him.

If and when it's confirmed, I'll immediately post the information here.

clean hairy

This is not just a local event, lets see if the other locals might help out.
I did not know of this man before this happened, but he is one of our UPS Brothers who can use our help.
Perhaps all locals could send a mailing to their Members to let all know of a Brother in Brown who could use our help?

Louis Kostulas

I tried to log into on my cell phone and it didn't work but when i got home i went on my desktop and it worked no problem. I also sent the link to the Rep for the IBT Package Division in Washington DC to get the word out to as many of our UPS brothers & sisters as we can. Tom is going to need all the help he can get.